Thread: Switzerland family vacation - which camera to bring?

Default Switzerland family vacation - which camera to bring?

Hi guys,

I'm planning a vacation to Switzerland with my family (wife + 2 kids). Itinerary includes city + light hiking in the mountains. I want to bring my Fuji X100 but it does not have a zoom. Don't know if I'll need a zoom or not since will be mostly taking landscape shots I think.

Should I bring along my D80 + 18-200VR lens as well? I'm quite concerned about the weight, especially for hiking + I have to carry the kids' stuff. Alternatively I could bring the D80 + 50mm prime which is lighter.

On the one hand have two cameras safer, in case anything happen to the X100. But on the other hand I want to travel as light as possible so that moving around by trains is easier. I'm doing free and easy self-travel and will be moving around quite a bit. Planning at least 3 locations across switzerland.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by red_ryder; 6th January 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Default Re: Switzerland family vacation - which camera to bring?

Any normal zoom, eg starting 16mm or 18mm for D80. You need for scenic background. if not , 18-200 should do the work.(don't remind yourself the weight). Just carry one when you go outdoor and keep the spare at hotel... Last Dec when I went to Hokkaido, brought along D90, D700, 11-16mm and 24-70mm. No regret, specially you want the shot the beautiful scenic and your family and the len is wide enough.

I agree, any wide angle lens will work best for such kind of trip. I was in Switzerland last October and I was carrying Canon 60D and 15-85mm lens. It's wide enough to cover most of the sceneries I wanted to shot and it's also good enough to take some candid shot of the people there. I wish I already have the 10-22mm lens back then since it's wider and it's lighter since I didn't like the candid shots in the end. But maybe you need the zoom to take stolen shots of your family especially the kids.
    As for the backup camera, I was using my samsung galaxy s2. ;-)
    Last edited by glbong42; 9th January 2012 at 09:30 AM.