Thread: Public Buses not using Bus Lane

Default Public Buses not using Bus Lane

Everyday when I use the road between Tampines ave 5 to Simei Ave, I see empty public buses returning to "SBS transit Bedok Bus Park" taking lane 1 (extreme right lane) all the way from Tampinese bus interchange. They do this even during peak hour and the rational I think is that they need to make a right turn from Simei ave to upper changi road so it might be difficult to filter right. But from Tampines interchange to upper changi road is about 3km so I think it is more than enough time and distant to switch from bus lane to the right turn

We driver are always penalise for using the bus lane so what about empty buses not using bus lane?
    Wedding Cinematographer+Editor H/p:98368086 http://idoproduction.wordpress.com/

Default Re: Public Buses not using Bus Lane

Well, life's not fair. Recently got a 150bucks fine for that. Not that I wanna drive in the bus lane, but I need to make a right turn and got in maybe 5 meter before the lane ends. Cannot complain, law is law.

Using some common sense..... The bus lanes are actually for the benefit of passengers during peak hour traffic... Not for any mother son father daughter bus to use during the stipulated time. If all off-service buses use the bus lane just to get around.. Won't it be the turn of those commuting by bus to complain?

Is it even mandatory that buses can only use bus lane during peak hours?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

If i'm not wrong, highway code only say the bus lane car cannot enter at specific time. There's no such a thing as other lane bus cannot enter. Look at expressway, there isnt a bus lane. My point is, bus lane is specific for buses at specific time but buses are not restricted from other lanes.

If buses don't use the bus lanes, then the bus lanes serves no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    If buses don't use the bus lanes, then the bus lanes serves no purpose.
    True. If you see a bus lane that is not used by buses at all during the course of bus lane operating hours, be sure to inform the LTA.

Quote Originally Posted by AdyH View Post
    If i'm not wrong, highway code only say the bus lane car cannot enter at specific time. There's no such a thing as other lane bus cannot enter. Look at expressway, there isnt a bus lane. My point is, bus lane is specific for buses at specific time but buses are not restricted from other lanes.
    Exactly.

There are drivers who believe in a tit-fot-tat response -- "I cannot drive in your lane? Then you cannot drive in mine." There is not legal restriction on buses driving in other lanes, except for those that apply to other heavy vehicles. You may not like it, but some road rules (such as bus lanes) are meant to optimise transportation, and buses transport far more people than cars in a given road space.

That said, the TS might have a point about buses (heavy vehicles, after all) hogging the right lane. I don't know the road in question, but generally heavy vehicles are supposed keep left unless turning, overtaking etc. Keeping right for a turn 3km away sounds ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    There are drivers who believe in a tit-fot-tat response -- "I cannot drive in your lane? Then you cannot drive in mine."
    I view it differently and had since stop giving way to buses. If there is a real need for them (the buses), they ought to paint those red lines or white triangles.

ERP
    - Fair
    Charges are based on usage so those who contribute more to the congestion pay more. Those who use the roads less frequently or who travel during non-ERP hours will pay less or not need to pay at all.

Source - Motoring Matters - ERP

An existing 3-lane traffic, partially take away 1-lane for the buses, immediately results in under-utilisation of 1-lane and creates congestions.

Quote Originally Posted by hantanbl View Post
    But from Tampines interchange to upper changi road is about 3km so I think it is more than enough time and distant to switch from bus lane to the right turn
    Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    I view it differently and had since stop giving way to buses. If there is a real need for them (the buses), they ought to paint those red lines or white triangles.
    i think the second quote would justify why the bus captains do what was complained about in the first quote

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i think the second quote would justify why the bus captains do what was complained about in the first quote
    I would they it would be wiser for them to do something about it.

Drafting behind a bus can save fuel as proven by the mythbusters.

Just kidding, please don't tailgate.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 9th January 2012 at 08:35 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

There is nothing wrong for heavy vehicles to use the right lane(lane 1) so long as they dun hog the road (below speed limit) or speeding.

Most road speed limit are 60km/h, thus there is no wrong for heavy vehicles to travel on the right lane of normal road and is well within their vehicle speed limit.

From tampines Int to upper changi road, there are many slip road from Tampines ave 4(shoppin malls) and PIE slip road after it.. thus generally less car use right lane, thus is more convenient to use the right lane.

Quote Originally Posted by ahlionel View Post
    There is nothing wrong for heavy vehicles to use the right lane(lane 1) so long as they dun hog the road (below speed limit) or speeding.

Most road speed limit are 60km/h, thus there is no wrong for heavy vehicles to travel on the right lane of normal road and is well within their vehicle speed limit.

From tampines Int to upper changi road, there are many slip road from Tampines ave 4(shoppin malls) and PIE slip road after it.. thus generally less car use right lane, thus is more convenient to use the right lane.
    Unless it has been changed.

Excerpt -

In addition, 122 drivers were also summoned by TP officers for offences such as speeding or failing to keep left. Heavy vehicles are required to keep left on the roads unless overtaking.

source - Over 350 lorries caught flouting traffic rules in 2 weeks