Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

most of the time my friends (really friends, not just casual acquaintances) are the ones who reject my offer to lend them my lenses.

that's how i know they're really my friends, coz they won't risk the friendship over the chance that they will spoil my (expensive) gear. some who do borrow or take up my offer to lend, are themselves photographers who know the value (monetary or otherwise) of my gear and get over-protective of my stuff when it's already in their care.

of course if it's just an acquaintance or a friend known for his careless ways, i'd just say i'll be shooting that day/week/month and will need that gear. which is also probably true so not exactly lying. even if i didn't plan on shooting that day, i'd end up shooting as an excuse.
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Quote Originally Posted by pasay View Post
    most of the time my friends (really friends, not just casual acquaintances) are the ones who reject my offer to lend them my lenses.

that's how i know they're really my friends, coz they won't risk the friendship over the chance that they will spoil my (expensive) gear. some who do borrow or take up my offer to lend, are themselves photographers who know the value (monetary or otherwise) of my gear and get over-protective of my stuff when it's already in their care.

of course if it's just an acquaintance or a friend known for his careless ways, i'd just say i'll be shooting that day/week/month and will need that gear. which is also probably true so not exactly lying. even if i didn't plan on shooting that day, i'd end up shooting as an excuse.
    The problem comes when they say, when will you NOT be using this particular gear?
    How to reply?

Quote Originally Posted by 1412235827 View Post
    The problem comes when they say, when will you NOT be using this particular gear?
    How to reply?
    Say you shoot everyday

Perhaps u think too much, just tell them u not comfy coz someone drop ur camera and damage ur lens before. If they still insist, u know what type of friend they are, unless they willing to pay for damage.
    Last edited by wonglp; 6th January 2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo

What will happen if you pass your camera to a stranger to take photo of you and friends, then the lens spoil after he shoot

Next time passerby ask me to take their photo with their camera, better use my own camera and said will email to them later.

Later they blame you, sue you go jail...
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

depends on you friends really...

infact all my friends know dslr + lens is easily at least 1k, so most of the time they wont touch or asked to borrow to snap. So far when bring it for bday or outing events, sometimes I will say: 'you all can help me shoot, cause I lazy', but I will only direct my words to 2 or 3 of them, whom i know are very cautious and meticulous when using other people stuffs and will bother to ask can do this or that anot...anyway alot of them dont know much about photography (eg. aperture/shutter spd/iso), so they dare not ask me to borrow snap snap

I lent my whole gear before to a friend, where he brought it for his US holiday for 2weeks...everything came back perfectly

Another time, I lent a lens to another friend for his holiday, we arent that close, but he wanted to buy my lens, so i thought why not?, when he come back collect money from him
    In the end he keep on delaying payment and hold on to my lens somemore, after 6 months I got damn pissed off and asked him to return me if he dont want buy, it came back in a bad shape...the whole rubber grip was infiltrated by some unknown glittering object, that took me a damn long time to clean it off, 2 dust went into the lens and when I told him, he had the cheek to tell me: 'got meh? then what you want me to do?'...not auto and irresponsible

So best is dont lend to anybody even if they are into photography, perhaps only those whom you can trust 100% who are responsible and 'very auto', will offer to pay or anything if they dirty/spoil your equips

How to reply?
    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Say you shoot everyday
    exactly. then they'll (hopefully) get the hint
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfSilence View Post
    depends on you friends really...

infact all my friends know dslr + lens is easily at least 1k, so most of the time they wont touch or asked to borrow to snap. So far when bring it for bday or outing events, sometimes I will say: 'you all can help me shoot, cause I lazy', but I will only direct my words to 2 or 3 of them, whom i know are very cautious and meticulous when using other people stuffs and will bother to ask can do this or that anot...anyway alot of them dont know much about photography (eg. aperture/shutter spd/iso), so they dare not ask me to borrow snap snap

I lent my whole gear before to a friend, where he brought it for his US holiday for 2weeks...everything came back perfectly

Another time, I lent a lens to another friend for his holiday, we arent that close, but he wanted to buy my lens, so i thought why not?, when he come back collect money from him
    In the end he keep on delaying payment and hold on to my lens somemore, after 6 months I got damn pissed off and asked him to return me if he dont want buy, it came back in a bad shape...the whole rubber grip was infiltrated by some unknown glittering object, that took me a damn long time to clean it off, 2 dust went into the lens and when I told him, he had the cheek to tell me: 'got meh? then what you want me to do?'...not auto and irresponsible

So best is dont lend to anybody even if they are into photography, perhaps only those whom you can trust 100% who are responsible and 'very auto', will offer to pay or anything if they dirty/spoil your equips
    Sigh... "why not" ruined us.

I did borrow a macro lens from a friend & I handle wif care. Returned immediately after I had finished my product shots.
    Sometime it also depend who u lend to. Anyone who treat u as a friend will handle your stuff with care.

Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    I did borrow a macro lens from a friend & I handle wif care. Returned immediately after I had finished my product shots.
    Sometime it also depend who u lend to. Anyone who treat u as a friend will handle your stuff with care.
    I have a friend who lent me his lens indefinitely, I treat it with more care than any of my own lenses.

HOW DO YOU REJECT LENDING PHOTOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT TO SOMEONE?!

I lend to a "Friend", the kind that thinks just because she has a dSLR and like to takes photos = you are a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER.
    That doesn't even make you half a photographer!

Anyway, my precious and beloved K1000 came back looking alrigh
    BUT MY 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Pentax-F SMC Macro lens came back with a chip near the mount area.
    Thread area on the exterior of the lens plastic look like it has been dropped before, causing a line of soon becoming a crack there?!

Long story short, I don't wanna lend any photographic "Friend" anymore.
    Not even if they are experienced in handling a Camera.

Is there a way to politely tell them, "NO".

Btw.. not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post D:

p.s I am the kind that like to show off my camera equipment...
    I am lucky that mine is not the top end stuff.....only entry level camera and my friends' setup is better....

you can always reject them politely... this issue is just as delicate as lending money... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi
    you can always reject them politely... this issue is just as delicate as lending money... LOL
    You can't spoil/dent/chip/get dust in/scratch money XD

That said, even if your friend takes care of your item very well, accidents do happen, and when they do, if they don't step up to take responsibility, you're not left with much either, cause you have to choose between friend or camera. So yeah a good friend shouldn't put you on the spot, but if you're willing to take the jump, there's no right or wrong in lending equipment
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

If I borrow my friend things, spoil liao I sure buy brand new one for them at the very least pay for the repairs.
    If your friend don't do that, means that person is not your best friend.
    Hope you get the drift..

Well.. there are always those who say they will "buy" then will drag on forever. Then the currency rate increase, so the value of the selling price is worth less now :/
    And those who will never pay for the damage done.
    Well, also those that deny everything.
    And of course those that act all pitiful, no money etc.
    And the others who blame it on others.

Best choice is, don't lend something so expensive to an average joe.
    Unless is super best friend.
    Last edited by 1412235827; 6th January 2012 at 05:54 PM.

The lending of equipment usually happen only when you are using better or more expensive gear than him/her. Downgrade to a compact and nobody would bother with you. If not..no choice learn to reject and say no If you dont want your expensive equipment to have any issue to do with them.

Most people are ok if u say no. But most people are not ok if you claim or when there is really damages and Money need to come into play..
    Money is sensitive.

Use these lines:
    "It's my baby....unless... you be my baby la!"
    "It's my preciousssssssss! Smeegles no share! Unless you say you love Smeegles..."
    "Why so serioussssss? I'll lent it to you if you'd be my cat woman."

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    Actually can go even further. For lens, tell them you handpick that particular one from the shop after weeks of scouting and calibrated for your camera. If any damage, got how much money also cannot buy. Where got time to handpick again and recalibrate? If they say they will be careful with it, tell them there's such a thing call "accident" and you are not going to risk it.

How to reply?
    Easy, haha.. juz say jokingly that u hug ur cameras to sleep every nite. I am sure after asking a few times and getting rejected, ur fren will get the hint.

Its rare though that ppl borrow ur film slr, i shoot with film primarily, rarely had ppl interested in shooting them, only curious about the cameras.

I read your first post a few times and the very last line caught my attention "p.s I am the kind that like to show off my camera equipment...". Guess the best way is for you not to "show off" your equipment, regardless of what equipment you are using. More importantly saying no is something we must learn of doing and it does not apply to lending photographic equipment alone.

HOW DO YOU REJECT LENDING PHOTOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT TO SOMEONE?!

I lend to a "Friend", the kind that thinks just because she has a dSLR and like to takes photos = you are a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER.
    That doesn't even make you half a photographer!

Anyway, my precious and beloved K1000 came back looking alrigh
    BUT MY 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Pentax-F SMC Macro lens came back with a chip near the mount area.
    Thread area on the exterior of the lens plastic look like it has been dropped before, causing a line of soon becoming a crack there?!

Long story short, I don't wanna lend any photographic "Friend" anymore.
    Not even if they are experienced in handling a Camera.

Is there a way to politely tell them, "NO".

Btw.. not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post D:

p.s I am the kind that like to show off my camera equipment...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123