Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

  1. #1

    Default Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    HOW DO YOU REJECT LENDING PHOTOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT TO SOMEONE?!

    I lend to a "Friend", the kind that thinks just because she has a dSLR and like to takes photos = you are a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER.
    That doesn't even make you half a photographer!

    Anyway, my precious and beloved K1000 came back looking alrigh
    BUT MY 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Pentax-F SMC Macro lens came back with a chip near the mount area.
    Thread area on the exterior of the lens plastic look like it has been dropped before, causing a line of soon becoming a crack there?!

    Long story short, I don't wanna lend any photographic "Friend" anymore.
    Not even if they are experienced in handling a Camera.

    Is there a way to politely tell them, "NO".

    Btw.. not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post D:

    p.s I am the kind that like to show off my camera equipment...

  2. #2
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1412235827 View Post
    HOW DO YOU REJECT LENDING PHOTOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT TO SOMEONE?!

    I lend to a "Friend", the kind that thinks just because she has a dSLR and like to takes photos = you are a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER.
    That doesn't even make you half a photographer!

    Anyway, my precious and beloved K1000 came back looking alrigh
    BUT MY 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Pentax-F SMC Macro lens came back with a chip near the mount area.
    Thread area on the exterior of the lens plastic look like it has been dropped before, causing a line of soon becoming a crack there?!

    Long story short, I don't wanna lend any photographic "Friend" anymore.
    Not even if they are experienced in handling a Camera.

    Is there a way to politely tell them, "NO".

    Btw.. not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post D:

    p.s I am the kind that like to show off my camera equipment...
    Basically I don't lent my photographic equipment to anyone unless I am there to supervise in person...

    Anyway, if someone try to borrow from you, just tell them no. If they are real friend's of yours, they would understand.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  3. #3

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1412235827 View Post
    HOW DO YOU REJECT LENDING PHOTOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT TO SOMEONE?!

    I lend to a "Friend", the kind that thinks just because she has a dSLR and like to takes photos = you are a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER.
    That doesn't even make you half a photographer!

    Anyway, my precious and beloved K1000 came back looking alrigh
    BUT MY 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Pentax-F SMC Macro lens came back with a chip near the mount area.
    Thread area on the exterior of the lens plastic look like it has been dropped before, causing a line of soon becoming a crack there?!

    Long story short, I don't wanna lend any photographic "Friend" anymore.
    Not even if they are experienced in handling a Camera.

    Is there a way to politely tell them, "NO".

    Btw.. not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post D:

    p.s I am the kind that like to show off my camera equipment...
    Simple, just say that you need to use the lens and you can't lend it to them.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    i dun tell them i got these lens..(or wat ever new stuff i have..) same goes for my other stuff..

  5. #5

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    It's a "She", so maybe that hit your weak spot? haha.

    If is lend to testing then I guess I am ok if I am beside to lend a hand (and supervise the person).

    If is lend to bring elsewhere etc, then no....unless is my gf.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    I dont lend..even if im there to watch him/her .. i also wont.
    How i reject? usually i just say sorry...abit hard..not poissble..no..sorry.. If they are understanding they will get the idea and will not go further. If they insist. Then i will insist too.

  7. #7
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Just say cannot or no? Haha
    Lousy de My Flickr

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW
    I dont lend..even if im there to watch him/her .. i also wont.
    How i reject? usually i just say sorry...abit hard..not poissble..no..sorry.. If they are understanding they will get the idea and will not go further. If they insist. Then i will insist too.
    This method will work for most people but some people are really not "Seng mok" and cannot catch subtle hints.. These people, u really have to tell them you are nt comfy lending ur beloved stuff out.. For me, my frens are all canon and Nikon users and the only person who will borrow my photography stuff, I will never reject.. =)
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  9. #9

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Personally, those photography-know-nuts(nothing).
    I really hate them alot.
    Deep inside my heart is laughing + 2 middle finger and alot of curse words.

    I really just can't help it.

    Is this normal or is it developing into a mental illness already?

    Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    I dont lend..even if im there to watch him/her .. i also wont.
    How i reject? usually i just say sorry...abit hard..not poissble..no..sorry.. If they are understanding they will get the idea and will not go further. If they insist. Then i will insist too.
    This one powerful.. must learn...

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    This method will work for most people but some people are really not "Seng mok" and cannot catch subtle hints.. These people, u really have to tell them you are nt comfy lending ur beloved stuff out.. For me, my frens are all canon and Nikon users and the only person who will borrow my photography stuff, I will never reject.. =)
    I presume the only person who borrow is your beloved as well?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1412235827 View Post
    Personally, those photography-know-nuts(nothing).
    I really hate them alot.
    Deep inside my heart is laughing + 2 middle finger and alot of curse words.

    I really just can't help it.

    Is this normal or is it developing into a mental illness already?



    This one powerful.. must learn...



    I presume the only person who borrow is your beloved as well?
    Haha why do you hate people who knows nothing about photography? We all started from there at some point too.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha why do you hate people who knows nothing about photography? We all started from there at some point too.
    If you read my first post, I refer to those who hold a dslr and any how snap photos on Automatic mode and claim themselves to be PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER.

    First of all.. nevermind... they don't even meet the basics to fit into the photographer part.
    I don't wanna go technical D: but if I do happen to **** them about them saying they are PRO Photographers...
    They sure kpkb and uproar, hate me forever. Insist they are PRO Photographers.

    If I try to reason with them, and they accept they not PRO.
    They will call me a showoff and everything... *<-Insert Facepalm Here->*

    T.T But they are the ones trying to showoff leih.. not me D:

  12. #12

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1412235827 View Post
    If you read my first post, I refer to those who hold a dslr and any how snap photos on Automatic mode and claim themselves to be PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER.

    First of all.. nevermind... they don't even meet the basics to fit into the photographer part.
    I don't wanna go technical D: but if I do happen to **** them about them saying they are PRO Photographers...
    They sure kpkb and uproar, hate me forever. Insist they are PRO Photographers.

    If I try to reason with them, and they accept they not PRO.
    They will call me a showoff and everything... *<-Insert Facepalm Here->*

    T.T But they are the ones trying to showoff leih.. not me D:
    Well, then you know which stage they are in


  13. #13

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Well, then you know which stage they are in

    Yes, they will be there forever.
    Cause they are Pro Photographers

    I from auto mode jump straight into Film Camera.
    They think use film camera machiam like digital camera.
    *Facepalm here too.*
    Last edited by 1412235827; 5th January 2012 at 12:04 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1412235827 View Post
    If you read my first post, I refer to those who hold a dslr and any how snap photos on Automatic mode and claim themselves to be PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER.

    First of all.. nevermind... they don't even meet the basics to fit into the photographer part.
    I don't wanna go technical D: but if I do happen to **** them about them saying they are PRO Photographers...
    They sure kpkb and uproar, hate me forever. Insist they are PRO Photographers.

    If I try to reason with them, and they accept they not PRO.
    They will call me a showoff and everything... *<-Insert Facepalm Here->*

    T.T But they are the ones trying to showoff leih.. not me D:
    ok, so what has this got to do with ur initial topic of rejecting ppl who approach you to borrow equipment?
    BTW, why reason with them as well?

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    [QUOTE=spree86;7656532]Well, then you know which stage they are in

    I think I'm at the "All I shoot is bad" or "Dammit, I suck" lol
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  16. #16

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling88 View Post
    ok, so what has this got to do with ur initial topic of rejecting ppl who approach you to borrow equipment?
    BTW, why reason with them as well?
    Nothing to do with the initial post, just replying to post #10 saying that they think they are pro photographers just because they have dSLR and like to snap photos.
    But really, they just like to snap photos on auto mode.

    I have not reasoned with them at all, at least not yet.

    The last time I tried to reject lending the film camera, I said "The film camera is for more advanced/professional photographers".
    She immediately shoot me "But I am professional".

    In my heart is doing all kinds of evil things liao..

    [QUOTE=SkyStrike;7656546]
    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Well, then you know which stage they are in

    I think I'm at the "All I shoot is bad" or "Dammit, I suck" lol
    You have 1.6k++ post already, sure anot?

    Everything I shoot sucks too, but at least I know the technical stuff.
    I don't even say I am professional.

    I am left with 1 film camera, 1 junk lens, 1 hazy lens, dust cleaner, old but functioning flash, mini tripod, microfiber cloth.
    This friend only have 1 dslr, 1 kit lens, 1 microfiber cloth. Don't even know about dry cabinet, ISO/ASA, shutter speed, cmos/ccd, hotshoe.
    Basically, only know auto mode.
    Last edited by 1412235827; 5th January 2012 at 12:10 AM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Well, then you know which stage they are in

    I think I'm at the "All I shoot is bad" or "Dammit, I suck" lol
    Hurry up and find an old film camera lol. Alright, end of OT

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1412235827 View Post
    You have 1.6k++ post already, sure anot?

    Everything I shoot sucks too, but at least I know the technical stuff.
    I don't even say I am professional.

    I am left with 1 film camera, 1 junk lens, 1 hazy lens, dust cleaner, old but functioning flash, mini tripod, microfiber cloth.
    This friend only have 1 dslr, 1 kit lens, 1 microfiber cloth. Don't even know about dry cabinet, ISO/ASA, shutter speed, cmos/ccd, hotshoe.
    Basically, only know auto mode.
    TCSS alot mah....

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Hurry up and find an old film camera lol. Alright, end of OT
    Film photography is way more expensive than digital ones where I don't have to develop to see the photos I like playing with Post Processing in Lightroom too


    but, frankly speaking, I do have issues turning down pple if they want to borrow lens. Unless you damn well to know that they will take care of it like their precious.

    But never tested this phrase before: "Sorry, I'm not comfortable lending my gears out.", but it sounds reasonable to me...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  19. #19

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    but, frankly speaking, I do have issues turning down pple if they want to borrow lens. Unless you damn well to know that they will take care of it like their precious.

    But never tested this phrase before: "Sorry, I'm not comfortable lending my gears out.", but it sounds reasonable to me...
    I will never play with fire, especially WILD fire. Ever again.

  20. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Reject lending photographic equipment to someone you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1412235827 View Post
    I will never play with fire, especially WILD fire. Ever again.
    probably this is why there is a thread for newbies on the myths of sharing lenses if they get the same brand camera....read it once before, I think it's about what "DSLR to get"

    Things usually gets ugly when the lens/equipment is damaged...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •