Thread: Macro shooting with a Telephoto lens?

Talking Macro shooting with a Telephoto lens?

Me curious....
    How bad is using telephoto zoom lenses to do "macro" shots compared to using REAL Macro lenses?

Shooting flora and fauna :[

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the camera. My Olympus can't do it with telephoto. Need a close-up filter to go close. A close-up filter is also cheaper than macro lens!

Default Re: Macro shooting with a Telephoto lens?

Originally posted by andretan
    Me curious....
    How bad is using telephoto zoom lenses to do "macro" shots compared to using REAL Macro lenses?

Shooting flora and fauna :[

Thanks in advance.
    It depends. If your using a moderate telephoto lens (70-135mm) on an SLR then you won't usually achieve macro level reproduction (that is better than 1:1 magnification) without the use of bellows. However by adding an extension tube or two you can make a moderate telephoto lens in to quite a competent close up lens.

I frequently use an old Tamron 135mm with 50mm of tubes for flower photography.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

i would love to do flower macro shots, but my present equipment can only allow me to do closeups. i am using a 70-300mm 'macro' lens; as it is a telephoto lens, i need to get real far away from the subject to get a closeup of it. which, imho, is ironical as macro photography is about getting real close to the subject rather than away from it ... it is also a pain to use a tripod to take closeups with the present 70-300 because i have to estimate how far and how tall the camera position should be.

short of buying a 'real' macro lens, are there any alternatives at all that i can employ for the time being? as far as I know, closeup rings and closeup filters are the cheaper alternatives.

with closeup rings, is it correct to say that macro shots can be achieved only when the lens used has some kind of macro function? how feasible would it be to use a closeup ring with my 70-300mm? or would it be a total disaster?

and what about using a +4 closeup lens with the 70-300mm? would i be able to get near to the subject then? i also have a 28-80mm G lens - if i get a +4, can i use it on the 28-80mm to do macro?

would appreciate all expert opinions and enlightenment. thanks!

Wink

What's a tube??

I really need to get some help on this. Anyone?

Originally posted by Pandora
    i would love to do flower macro shots, but my present equipment can only allow me to do closeups. i am using a 70-300mm 'macro' lens; as it is a telephoto lens, i need to get real far away from the subject to get a closeup of it. which, imho, is ironical as macro photography is about getting real close to the subject rather than away from it ... it is also a pain to use a tripod to take closeups with the present 70-300 because i have to estimate how far and how tall the camera position should be.

short of buying a 'real' macro lens, are there any alternatives at all that i can employ for the time being? as far as I know, closeup rings and closeup filters are the cheaper alternatives.

with closeup rings, is it correct to say that macro shots can be achieved only when the lens used has some kind of macro function? how feasible would it be to use a closeup ring with my 70-300mm? or would it be a total disaster?

and what about using a +4 closeup lens with the 70-300mm? would i be able to get near to the subject then? i also have a 28-80mm G lens - if i get a +4, can i use it on the 28-80mm to do macro?

would appreciate all expert opinions and enlightenment. thanks!

Wink

Originally posted by andretan
    What's a tube??

Ok. Did some asking from the pros.
    Found out my answer liao~