Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reason why I don't like film [Pic attached]

Default Reason why I don't like film [Pic attached]

Bleah... What's worse that can happen?

The film didn't advance... Most prob my fault... But if this is to happen during important shoot, use Lexar Image Rescue also cannot help...

congrats. Time to service your cam

It is not fair saying such a comments.
    Sometimes, it is user fault not to notice that the spool does not take up the film leader. And many of them blame their camera for their own mistake!

a few things to check when shooting film.

1) the counter is running (for old/new SLRs & compacts)
    2) for older camera, the spool is turning
    3) when u shoot past 37 shots & cam still going (for old/new SLRs & compacts)
    4) your DX value is correct, unless changed on purpose
    5) most importantly... LOAD THE FILM CORRECTLY & PROPERLY

go buy another roll to try again. luckily its not slide, otherwise, an expensive lesson.

lets just say digital has its own set of problems too. but hey, u learn something new didn't u?

but it is truly that memory card is easier to fit in right?

even a kid can slot in a memory card but not a film huh?

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    a few things to check when shooting film.

1) the counter is running (for old/new SLRs & compacts)
    2) for older camera, the spool is turning
    3) when u shoot past 37 shots & cam still going (for old/new SLRs & compacts)
    4) your DX value is correct, unless changed on purpose
    5) most importantly... LOAD THE FILM CORRECTLY & PROPERLY

go buy another roll to try again. luckily its not slide, otherwise, an expensive lesson.

lets just say digital has its own set of problems too. but hey, u learn something new didn't u?
    haha, experienced this about 5 years ago. The film didn't load properly on my Nikon FE, which is mechanical. And I failed to check that I had loaded it properly.

Digital does not mean you won't have problems. CF card failure can happen - to an extent that Image Rescue does not work. I've seen it happen (thankfully not to myself).

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Sometimes, it is user fault not to notice that the spool does not take up the film leader. And many of them blame their camera for their own mistake!

Pls read the 1st post, 2nd line, 7th word.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo

Yah.
    Digital at least can know whether the shot it taken. Film just have to trust your camera more.

but hey, u learn something new didn't u?

Yah...
    An expensive lesson...
    3 to 4 award winning fotos gone down the drain..
    The sky was just right also...
    Sianz...

I had probably went through probably hundreds of rolls of film and I had no problem except my very first roll. What so difficult about it ? Memory cards can get corrupted too, CF cards have limited read/write. When an activity becomes so simple, it would cease to be a meaningful activity.

By the way, my 4 year old son knows how to load film into my probably 30+ year old Canonet QL17.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Yah.
    Digital at least can know whether the shot it taken. Film just have to trust your camera more.
    Unless you still go out and shoot and realise that you forgot to put in your CF card! hehe...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Deregistered

Wow.. one roll have 3-4 award winning shots Must learn from you liao.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Yah.
    u haven't heard of people using the mem card happily but when they want to D/L, the whole card is dead? cannot say that solid state is more reliable mah, its just that u haven't encounter the sh!t yet. just ask a guy who owns a leica M6. but no need to fret, ya? things like this does happen to the best of us.

look on the bright side, u can use the film as a sun shade or a colour filter.
    Last edited by nightpiper; 23rd November 2004 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo

remember when i was very young, my sis took 1 roll of film with nothing... guess wat, she forget to remove the lens cap...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

look on the bright side, u can use the film as a sun shade or a colour filter.
    Actually, you can use it to block the output from your digicams built in flash and it will still trigger a slave flash (optical sensor). Good for bounce without forward light.

screw ups do happen la brudder....

dun condemn a system because of one incident....

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    my camera tells me when the film is not loaded correctly and i just have to do it again...

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    my camera tells me when the film is not loaded correctly and i just have to do it again...
    i guess it's all up to the camera user to ensure that the film is loaded in properly.

when i use any of my cameras with manual winding, i always advance the film a couple of frames and watch the rewind lever to make sure it turns as well. that way i know the film is advancing properly. i don't rely on coloured bars or whatever means the camera does to tell you the film is loaded properly. better to waste a couple of frames up front than to find out later during the end or the middle of the shoot.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Lightbulb

when i was shooting on films commercially, I always check, especially the first five frames, that the rewinding 'axle' above the socket where the films are loaded, is turning in the right direction when i advance the film frame by frame. it is deeply etched in my grey matters. however, no more.

yeah... sh!t happens sometimes...
    Luckily. I'm testing the old rangefinder...
    But still sad that I wasted $7.50 for film + processing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast