Thread: Sony alpha and Flash

Default Sony alpha and Flash

I owe a Sony Alpha 220 and I wanted to attach a flash to it. But being a student I couldn't afford all the expensive flash that Sony got to offer so I brought a vivitar flash which said it was universal and all I needed was a hot shoe. After purchasing the two items for cheap. I came to realize they aren't working!
    I'm not sure if it's the equipment or my lack of knowledge on hot shoes and flash! So please help and guide me through this. Any help is deeply appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Sony alpha and Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Mali014 View Post
    I owe a Sony Alpha 220 and I wanted to attach a flash to it. But being a student I couldn't afford all the expensive flash that Sony got to offer so I brought a vivitar flash which said it was universal and all I needed was a hot shoe. After purchasing the two items for cheap. I came to realize they aren't working!
    I'm not sure if it's the equipment or my lack of knowledge on hot shoes and flash! So please help and guide me through this. Any help is deeply appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    What is the model of the flash? You must give us details first mah... Vivitar made a number of flashes.

And by not working... means? The flash cannot fire off? Or there is not TTL function? If it is a universal flash that can be mount on all hotshoes, I would think that this flash is purely manual flash.
    Last edited by rhino123; 4th January 2012 at 04:06 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Hi Mali014, u should post in Sony/Konica-Minolta forum where all Alpha bro able to help u..
    Sony 50 F1.8, Sigma 50-150 F2.8II, Minolta 35-70 f4, Tamron 10-24 F3.5-4.5Di-II, Minolta 70-210 f4

No details, no help... We need to know what your problem is first, model of flash, etc.

And "universal" can mean that they are designed for the 1938-era hotshoe design. Minolta/Sony use an upgraded design.

FYI, Sony flashes are as expensive or sometimes even cheaper than Canon/Nikon flashes.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 4th January 2012 at 06:29 PM.
    Alpha