Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archiving photos

Default Re: Archiving photos

Quote Originally Posted by Achim Reh View Post
    Not sure. Whats is the advantage ?. I am just trying out the use of Adobe Bridge, which looks promising to me so far. Not sure if my 2 Qnap 209 pro are compatible with iscsi , they are a bit old ( but work stable for me of many years) .
    iSCSI is currently one of the popular approach to network a block device over the network to appear as local block device in the iSCSI initiator host. You get to format it to whichever file format as you wish which is native to the system. As far as the operating system is concern, it's just a block device controlled by the iSCSI driver.

It would resolve Apple Aperture requirement that the block device is local. However checking against QNAP 209 Pro specification shows it doesn't offer iSCSI target functionality, hence this approach is out for you.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    mine approach is totally unsophisticated and straightforward: 2TB external USB HDD i got cheap from challenger.

all photos arranged by date taken in separate folders (downloaded direct from CS5 bridge)

after downloading, go through, delete the lousy ones, flag / grade the good ones, PP the ones i want to print / share, export the JPEG into another folder.

haven't gotten around to consider the back-up part yet hopefully will have some warning before HDD dies and can have time to transfer the files to a new one.
    bro, just from my personally experience a couple of months back, my Western Digital 1.5TB HDD did not give any warning before it died on me. But I was able to resurrect it for a couple of hours via some "sorcery" to extract the pictures out. (lucky without loss of any important data)

I now do a manual backup (via some batch scripts) to copy to another hard disk. But this method is not as good as those having raid/mirroring or other backup technologies, but is the cheapest....

Yet to have intention to spend on a real RAID backup system since I don't have any business commitments that requires me to have my photos even if my HDD crashes...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

RAID is never meant as a backup system!

Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    RAID is never meant as a backup system!
    would you like to elaborate on why not?

anyway, as for me, i backup to 2 SSDs in RAID1

Quote Originally Posted by Zertelle View Post
    would you like to elaborate on why not?

anyway, as for me, i backup to 2 SSDs in RAID1
    Read up the difference between Redunancy and Backup.

Some examples of RAID fails as backup:
    1. Accidental delete, both copies gone.
    2. Virus infection, both copies affected.
    3. Physical damage like fire, both HD gone.

Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    Read up the difference between Redunancy and Backup.

Some examples of RAID fails as backup:
    1. Accidental delete, both copies gone.
    2. Virus infection, both copies affected.
    3. Physical damage like fire, both HD gone.
    So what's exactly the difference between redundancy and back-up? (1) will be due to human error. (2) can be mitigated by anti-virus software. (3) will be a worse-case scenario that is highly unlikely but I suppose it could happen to anyone. So how do you archive your photos?

Quote Originally Posted by esoeij View Post
    So what's exactly the difference between redundancy and back-up? (1) will be due to human error. (2) can be mitigated by anti-virus software. (3) will be a worse-case scenario that is highly unlikely but I suppose it could happen to anyone. So how do you archive your photos?
    The backup solution one adopt depends on one's risk adversity. If RAID is good enough for you, so be it.

RAID is developed to minimize downtime, not as backup solution.

Actually should be,

RAID is a backup system but is never a backup solution for data. RAID can be used in the implementation of a backup solution for data.

Agree with GR benji, it always depends on what you want, and how important the data are for you...or, how much are you willing to spend to protect your data. Of course, you can always have 2 or more independent raid systems, in different locations, automatically duplicating each other ( that was the way it was done at one of my employers , over 3 different continents). I know some studios, who have 2 independent mirrored raid, and every night, they put one set in a fire proof safe. For me , as a non professional , a simple mirrored raid is good enough. The chance that 2 hard drives fail at the same time is unlikely ( also not impossible of course) , I also have a lightning protection on the raid system. And, my raid backup for photos has no direct connection to the internet ( different subnet). If I really erase it by mistake, than it is my own stupidity, and I deserve it. If the house burns to the ground, or a war breaks out, I have bigger things to worry about . So, normal raid 1 will work for me...but of course, everyone has to decide this form him or her self.
    Last edited by Achim Reh; 5th January 2012 at 01:48 PM.

I use a NAS in raid 1 with 2 x 1Tb HDD. Usually photos are grouped by locations and then dates.

Blog Entries

seperated, one set called raws and one set edits. raws are literally raw files. edits are the selected ones.

just save everything. who knows, when u make it big, ppl might wanna see ur contact sheets and learn how u visualise stuff, and how u edit/select ur photos.

some old photos can turn out to be a surprise in future. i had a few.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12