Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie's photos - Needs comments

Default Newbie's photos - Needs comments

Newbie's photo taken with a Canon A95 on a recent trip to Langkawi. Comments from gurus here welcome ..

Sunrise - taken near to chalet

Langkawi's cablecar mid-station. This is my favourite.

View from the top.

Photos taken using AUTO and without any filter.

the 2 pictures below u used postcard mode?? (with date)

btw i like the cable car, very magestic.

I like the 2nd photo too. The 3rd one may look better if it had more even distribution of the sky, sea and land.

Did you put extra glass in front of the lens? (3rd pic)

Quote Originally Posted by T.A.
    I like the 2nd photo too. The 3rd one may look better if it had more even distribution of the sky, sea and land.

Did you put extra glass in front of the lens? (3rd pic)
    Nothing. Not even the ring adaptor with a uv filter attached. Left it at the hotel

Quote Originally Posted by aspire
    the 2 pictures below u used postcard mode?? (with date)

btw i like the cable car, very magestic.
    Yes. I used postcard mode. The cable car station looks like a giant insect head

Nice shots,

eh, first picture.. the hut at the left a bit distracting ar.. i would prefer it if the hut wasn't there... like frame it without the hut.. oh ya, why does your picture look so edgy? no anti-aliasing? haha!

2nd picture, interesting!! But you've gotta find a way to "remove yourself" from teh picture. Look at the reflection! samething for teh thrid one.. I liek the third picture! minus the reflection of course. Would be better if you'd have used a smaller shutter..

Tips on the reflection;
    - Try to place ur lens as close to the glass panel as possible, at an angle. This will also prevent the auto-focus to lock onto the panel instead of the scene.
    - Do not use flash.

haha, ya. i only figure out wat is the picture about after afew seconds of thought. haha. anyway nice pics. and Canon should allow the date stamp as an option for all mode; shouldn't restrict only to postcard mode. thats abit wierd. anyway cheers to A95 users!

Quote Originally Posted by greenarrow2k4
    Yes. I used postcard mode. The cable car station looks like a giant insect head

Quote Originally Posted by OzOn3
    eh, first picture.. the hut at the left a bit distracting ar.. i would prefer it if the hut wasn't there... like frame it without the hut.. oh ya, why does your picture look so edgy? no anti-aliasing? haha!

2nd picture, interesting!! But you've gotta find a way to "remove yourself" from teh picture. Look at the reflection! samething for teh thrid one.. I liek the third picture! minus the reflection of course. Would be better if you'd have used a smaller shutter..
    Anti-aliasing in dc ?? I included the hut (chalet) so as to offset the vast area. I've forgotten to bring along my wide-angle & tele

Forget about reflection when taking thru a glass window. I've my len very near to the glass and still got reflection. Is there a way to minus this? I've my camera on AUTO as I'm a newbie in thiis

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    Tips on the reflection;
    - Try to place ur lens as close to the glass panel as possible, at an angle. This will also prevent the auto-focus to lock onto the panel instead of the scene.
    - Do not use flash.
    Thanks. Will keep this in mind when shooting thru a glass panel.

One more photo ...

Entrance to Lan (Eagle) Square.

I think the 2nd and 3rd pic is as what others said. mind the reflection, but for the first picture, the hut is perfectly fine with me, but I would like it better if it is taken half stop lesser to remove the minor details from the hut and some sharpening is done.

Something like this :

Of course it will look better if the crop is a bit tighter

One more photo ...

Entrance to Lan (Eagle) Square.
    Too much floor......

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    I think the 2nd and 3rd pic is as what others said. mind the reflection, but for the first picture, the hut is perfectly fine with me, but I would like it better if it is taken half stop lesser to remove the minor details from the hut and some sharpening is done.

Something like this :

Of course it will look better if the crop is a bit tighter
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    Agree.
    What software u use for this effect? I've PhotoShop Elements 3.0 and PhotoShop CS 8.0 purchased when I was at Lanhkawi. Have yet to try them out. According to the saleperson, these 2 s/w can work together very well. I'm totally in using this type of softwares.

What software u use for this effect? I've PhotoShop Elements 3.0 and PhotoShop CS 8.0 purchased when I was at Lanhkawi. Have yet to try them out. According to the saleperson, these 2 s/w can work together very well. I'm totally in using this type of softwares.
    I used Element 2.0 at 1st, now uses CS. But i'm not good at Photoshop, still learning.

You mean what software I used? ..... oh ...... GIMP ..... can be done with Photoshop Elements 3.0 and CS as well, no problem with those.

Actually, the picture I posted are a bit too sharp ...... well... can't expect much from 1 minute job .......

eh, i was just kidding about the Anti aliasing lar.. HAHA!!

Smile Hi

Hello greenarrow2k4,

I like the choice of shots, there are good feedback/suggestions given above.
    But if I may give my bit.
    I love to look at photo's from pro, hobby,newbie.
    One thing that throws me though in any photo is text !
    Try as I might, I can't look at a photo as I should when there is some text or date or stamp etc.
    It just distracts me.
    This is not a criticism, just my view. Keep taking great photo's and sharing them with us
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast