Thread: Thinking of going Centre & Eastern Europe

Default Thinking of going Centre & Eastern Europe

Hihi,

I am thinking of going Hamburg, Warsaw, Budapest and Prague somewhere this year.
    Wanna ask you guys for your opinions whether it is economical travelling these 4 places in one trip?
    The reason why I chose Hamburg and Warsaw is because I have friends there so thought of visiting them altogether in this trip.
    As for Budapest and Prague, I have always longed to go these 2 places.
    I planned Hamburg as the 1st stop and Prague as the last as if I am going, I will travel via Emirates and both Hamburg and Prague only require 1 transit in Dubai.
    Have anyone of you been there & can share tips on travelling between places? Is travelling by trains cheaper or by budget airlines?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Thinking of going Centre & Eastern Europe

On trains versus budget airlines, it is hard to say, Ryanair can have very disgusting deals at times, but you have to factor in the fact that airports are usually located more out of the way (i.e. out of the cities) compared to train stations. As such, there will more than likely be additional costs and inconvenience involved in getting from the airport to lodging, less so for train stations. This is just a generalization of course, and you should do your homework if cost is a great concern.

How many days do you have planned though?

Get EURail Pass...but the price is
    Mine & wife 15 days global pass cost almost like buying another ticket SQ SG-FR return
    Last edited by Knighthunter; 3rd January 2012 at 09:11 PM.
    W204FL

Hi edutilos,

I planned to be there for only 12 days. Guess have to do quite a lot of research.

Hi Knighthunter,

I will check out the Eurail pass

Thanks for both your advice!

Blog Entries

12 days ...... with the flight and transit I suggest just stick to 2 places ...... why not ask your friends from hamburg and warsaw to join u in prague

the 4 places sound more like a full blown 3 week trip to really soak in the culture and discover

Prague is very beautiful
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthunter View Post
    Get EURail Pass...but the price is
    Mine & wife 15 days global pass cost almost like buying another ticket SQ SG-FR return
    I presume you are not a Youth anymore ...
    But still the Global Saver Pass should not cost that much ... I know it is EUR450 per person for the 15 days pass.

For TS, maybe stick to 3 countries only ... I suggest to skip Hamburg because that is furtest out of the way (other than Warsaw of course). With just 3 countries, you can buy the European East Pass (5 days within 1 month) and then add additional days if necessary. That should start at about EUR147 per person (youth .. min 2 to travel).

There are some gems in EuRail if you know the system well and know how to make use of the system.
    Touch the Moments ... Hold the colours of Joy

Hamburg to Prague, can be done by ICE Hamburg-Berlin-Dresden about 5 hours. There is train direct from Dresden to Prague departing every 2 hours.
    My trip will be during CNY holiday, I've been in German few times but this time I am will travel to Prague, Zurich, Rome, Hamburg, Munich, Dresden and finally Stuttgart to visit my favorite car maker museum. Most of the long haul I will be on CNL sleeping train, but kindly note that Eurail didn't include seat/room resevation.
    W204FL

Quote Originally Posted by Long Thai Bean View Post
    I presume you are not a Youth anymore ...
    Are you referring to me? I am a youth if I have turtle age. Anyway still young at heart, prefer to travel backpacking anywhere.
    W204FL