Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1631363940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: D5100 user...fall in!! Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by Capricornian

I m not used to manual focus yet. mayb when I get d7000. wondering sigma 10-20 performance.
    I think Tokina has already launched the mark 2 version of the 11-16, with the motor built in

Quote Originally Posted by SkimMilk View Post
    that's the AF Assist lamp. Helps the camera to focus. You can turn it off under your menus.
    Quote Originally Posted by mds80 View Post
    Yup it's the AF light and it usually only lights up in darker places to help the camera focus.
    Thanks for answering
    I just took a few try shot of milky way..but im not sure whether the faint patches here are the milky way or light pollution?

Last edited by -star-; 19th June 2012 at 12:13 PM.

Default Re: D5100 user...fall in!! Part Two

Wow nice shot. Where did you take the photo? I guess it's not in sg right?

Quote Originally Posted by mds80
    Wow nice shot. Where did you take the photo? I guess it's not in sg right?
    Thanks..but there are still more room for improvement

I took in kukup, johor..haha..but there is still some light pollution around which explains the orange-ish color..

Quote Originally Posted by -star- View Post
    Thanks..but there are still more room for improvement

I took in kukup, johor..haha..but there is still some light pollution around which explains the orange-ish color..
    Very nice shot of the milky way. The orange-ish is the light pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno

Very nice shot of the milky way. The orange-ish is the light pollution.
    Thanks bro for the confirmation hehe..hope to learn more from here

Quote Originally Posted by -star- View Post
    Thanks bro for the confirmation hehe..hope to learn more from here
    no problem... we all are learning from one another...

Any D5100 users are using Phottix Strato II Wireless Flash Trigger? I have no knowledge of flash photography. But, what I want to achieve is to use my Nissin Di866 Mark II as off-camera flash for my first portraits outdoor shoot. I'm not sure iTTL is supported cuz other says it's not. But, this website
    Innershell says
    The Cactus V5 did not transmit TTL information from the body to the flash if there was a transceiver mounted in between the two. For my casual event photography, this was important to me. I wanted to have 2 remote flashes pointed at the dance floor and another flash on my camera body for artificial light. While the cactus allowed me to do this, albeit in manual mode, I wanted a solution that allowed for TTL pass through while the flash was mounted atop the wireless transmitter on the body.
    That's why I'm abit confused. Perhaps, I don't know exactly how iTTL thing works?

I'm planning to purchase this Strato II Trigger.
    I found out recently that D5100 cannot control wireless flash by itself and can't use pop-up flash as commander and I think I don't have much control over pop-up flash either even if it can do. HSS isn't required for me yet as I'm starting to learn only and Strato II can achieve 1/250 shutter speed. Not sure how it will perform on D5100?

Anyone has comments or suggestions on using this Wireless Flash Trigger?

Thanks all so much in advance.
    Last edited by danielwinn; 27th June 2012 at 01:17 AM.

new nikon d5100 user here... just wondering what are the best battery grip, battery, n speedlight for d5100?

Quote Originally Posted by danielwinn
    Any D5100 users are using Phottix Strato II Wireless Flash Trigger? I have no knowledge of flash photography. But, what I want to achieve is to use my Nissin Di866 Mark II as off-camera flash for my first portraits outdoor shoot. I'm not sure iTTL is supported cuz other says it's not. But, this website
    Innershell says

That's why I'm abit confused. Perhaps, I don't know exactly how iTTL thing works?

I'm planning to purchase this Strato II Trigger.
    I found out recently that D5100 cannot control wireless flash by itself and can't use pop-up flash as commander and I think I don't have much control over pop-up flash either even if it can do. HSS isn't required for me yet as I'm starting to learn only and Strato II can achieve 1/250 shutter speed. Not sure how it will perform on D5100?

Anyone has comments or suggestions on using this Wireless Flash Trigger?

Thanks all so much in advance.
    Phottix strato ii won't do iTTL. You'll need to buy the phottix odin.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

In brief, the cheaper wireless triggers don't pass the iTTL information. You can see that they have fewer pin contacts at their base.
    The more expensive ones also pass iTTL and are more expensive because of the extra bandwidth and information transfer requirements.
    If you want more detail you can buy me a coffee at nus or clementi.
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dannywfs
    new nikon d5100 user here... just wondering what are the best battery grip, battery, n speedlight for d5100?
    Best battery grip - no idea.
    Best battery - original nikon
    Best speed light - nikon sb910

But then if you start considering money and your precise requirements the speed light you require might be different.
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran
    In brief, the cheaper wireless triggers don't pass the iTTL information. You can see that they have fewer pin contacts at their base.
    The more expensive ones also pass iTTL and are more expensive because of the extra bandwidth and information transfer requirements.
    You stay in school during the holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran View Post
    Phottix strato ii won't do iTTL. You'll need to buy the phottix odin.
    Thanks, fmeeran..I know the odin can work like Pocket Wizard at almost half price. Anyway, I will learn Manual settings first using Phottix Strato II which fits my budget also.

I want to know the difference between using manual & iTTL. Are you serious you can afford the time for me? I don't mind buying a coffee to learn from expert? :P

Quote Originally Posted by spree86

You stay in school during the holiday?
    I work at nus. The good old days of studentship are long gone. :-)
    My Flickr

Thanks, fmeeran..I know the odin can work like Pocket Wizard at almost half price. Anyway, I will learn Manual settings first using Phottix Strato II which fits my budget also.

I want to know the difference between using manual & iTTL. Are you serious you can afford the time for me? I don't mind buying a coffee to learn from expert? :P
    Lol. I'm not an expert. Just started playing with flash. Experts please correct me if my explanation is wrong.

In manual mode you set the flash power settings manually on the flash. The camera doesn't know and doesn't control the power. So you will have to manually control the exposure on the camera to prevent it overexposing.

In iTTL mode the camera fires off a couple of low intensity pre flashes and uses it to set the parameters for the flash power. The camera controls the flash. So there's less you need to fiddle with.

Though you are letting the camera set the settings automatically for the flash, it is very useful when you're just starting out into flash photography. It helps you get a much higher percentage of keepers when you're time limited.

Good luck. :-)
    My Flickr

I can certainly afford the time for you mate. I had suggested meeting as it is easier to show you the differences.
    My Flickr

I can certainly afford the time for you mate. I had suggested meeting as it is easier to show you the differences.
    I PM'd you, bro.. Thanks.

I would like to be part of 5100 group. may i check if kit set is enough for newbie?

I work at nus. The good old days of studentship are long gone. :-)
    Maybe we can meet for coffee sometimes

Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1631363940414243 ... LastLast