Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345691429 ... LastLast

Thread: D5100 user...fall in!! Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by kolguy
    How much and where did you buy your D5100 for ?

Any accessories with it ?

Also, i wanted to ask if there is a need for a macro + wide angle lens ( 2in1) - the guy at Alan Photo was quoting me 290 for this.!!!
    If you really need macro, you can get kenko or triplus extension tube (less than $200) to use with your kitlens, make sure it has auto focus mount (although manual focus is used most of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by MrMooMoo

If you really need macro, you can get kenko or triplus extension tube (less than $200) to use with your kitlens, make sure it has auto focus mount (although manual focus is used most of the time).
    Still think it is the best to get a proper macro lens for macro work. Pain one time only... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MrMooMoo

For even cheaper alternative, if one has a 50mm f1.8, just get a reverse mount and use it

Default Re: D5100 user...fall in!! Part Two

Took some picture of my D5100 and my lens collection to make you guys drool... :smilie:

Guess you guys know what those lens are, I have another Macro lens which I have forgotten to take a picture of it.
    With the 4 lens, 5100 DX and my 3 year old FX body, it should be good enough for my use for many years.
    Don't think i will get new body D4 or D800 so soon. My next target is the ultimate 24mm f1.4 afs, perhaps when i am older will go into birding.

Yeah.....drooling alrdy.....piangz....

Yesterday, went to usual suspect place for photo taking. Took lots of pictures trying to get compositions n stuffs. Familiarizing wif shutter speed to get smooth, silky water effects. Played ard 3-5 secs of shutter.

After came back, chked the photos. Some of them were shaky. I got tripods n i tried using hdr as well. So 1 question i hv, even though wif tripod, i am still pressing the shutter button on the cam, does the shake here results in the shaky photos that i had in some? What do i use then to trigger? Remote? Thxs guys for helping..

You got the holy trinity??? rich leh... Envy....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    Took some picture of my D5100 and my lens collection to make you guys drool... :smilie:

Guess you guys know what those lens are, I have another Macro lens which I have forgotten to take a picture of it.
    With the 4 lens, 5100 DX and my 3 year old FX body, it should be good enough for my use for many years.
    Don't think i will get new body D4 or D800 so soon. My next target is the ultimate 24mm f1.4 afs, perhaps when i am older will go into birding.

Quote Originally Posted by Konspire View Post
    Yesterday, went to usual suspect place for photo taking. Took lots of pictures trying to get compositions n stuffs. Familiarizing wif shutter speed to get smooth, silky water effects. Played ard 3-5 secs of shutter.

After came back, chked the photos. Some of them were shaky. I got tripods n i tried using hdr as well. So 1 question i hv, even though wif tripod, i am still pressing the shutter button on the cam, does the shake here results in the shaky photos that i had in some? What do i use then to trigger? Remote? Thxs guys for helping..
    Yes... you have answered your own question. When your camera is on tripod and your shutter speed is like 1/5 - 2 sec.... you would need a remote cable release. Either you need the ML-L3 or the MC-DC2...... One -ve point on D5100 is it does not have mirror lock up function... It is a important factor for shoot at shutter at 1/5 sec -3 sec....

Quote Originally Posted by Reno

Yes... you have answered your own question. When your camera is on tripod and your shutter speed is like 1/5 - 2 sec.... you would need a remote cable release. Either you need the ML-L3 or the MC-DC2...... One -ve point on D5100 is it does not have mirror lock up function... It is a important factor for shoot at shutter at 1/5 sec -3 sec....
    Ok, got it. Btw, wat r the standard must haves cleaning kit that shld be the sop whenever we goto field wif our cams?

Oh no not rich bro, it's a collection over period since my first D70 purchased in late 2004. I buy and sell various lens and finally decided to keep only the 3 zoom lens that covers the full range (14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm) and 1-2 prime lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    You got the holy trinity??? rich leh... Envy....!!!

Can also get a 3rd party Timer Remote shutter control compatible to Nikon D5100 to work with the BULB mode if need longer exposure (> 30 sec). Useful especially if you're playing with ND high stop filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Konspire View Post
    Ok, got it. Btw, wat r the standard must haves cleaning kit that shld be the sop whenever we goto field wif our cams?
    There are not standard type of cleaning kit to bring. Each person has their own standard cleaning kit to bring. But for my case. I think a blower, lens cloth and lens pen would do the trick.

Oh no not rich bro, it's a collection over period since my first D70 purchased in late 2004. I buy and sell various lens and finally decided to keep only the 3 zoom lens that covers the full range (14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm) and 1-2 prime lens.
    My collection got a big lobang in-between......

Can also get a 3rd party Timer Remote shutter control compatible to Nikon D5100 to work with the BULB mode if need longer exposure (> 30 sec). Useful especially if you're playing with ND high stop filter.
    I find the nowadays the third party time remote shutter control are pretty expensive. Are we becoming carrots??

Btw the way, if to cut cost. Can get ML-L3 which cost only $18 from local store or a 3rd party MC-DC2 remote cable release ($5-$10) from Ebay Singapore, it is free shipping anyway. Take note the connector of the 3rd party MC-DC2 fits very very tight on D5100. If possible, get the original Nikon MC-DC2 which cost $42-$46.

thxs for the advice. i'll try my frens' first. it's a wireless with the 2 step button press, meaning the first press is focusing, then second press is shutter trigger. i heard that the ml-l3 doesn't do focus trigger, is that correct?

like this have to revisit the sites for a second round of photo taking again. felt disappointed at first when i got back n view the pics. shake here, shake there...haiz...but nice place to shoot cos a lot of photographers there as well with all kinds of cameras....so didn't feel out of place when walking around carrying the tripod...hahaha...if not paisey...u know la...first time i go around carrying tripod fully extended.....

ok, i think that should do it ya? i found out when i was shooting the merlion, then the wind was blowing towards me n the water spray all over. lucky got the uv filter n i don't have the cleaning kit, finally just wipe the water spray using my t-shirt.....

n swapping the lens, haha...i felt like goondu cos i took out the lens, cover the body with it's orig cover, cover my lens end, took out the other lens, took off it's cover, put it near the body, took off the body cover, then put the lens on.......

u guys has a special way to do that?

There are not standard type of cleaning kit to bring. Each person has their own standard cleaning kit to bring. But for my case. I think a blower, lens cloth and lens pen would do the trick.

I also have a d5100 with sigma 30mm f1.4 with Olympus WCON08B ( wide converter )... It works out to be a 24mm f1.4 in this setup as this wide converter does not degrade the lens aperture. Very pleased with the outcome.

Great for Food shot

East Coast Road AmPang Yong Tau Foo
    Last edited by wucy24; 10th January 2012 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wucy24 View Post
    I also have a d5100 with sigma 30mm f1.4 with Olympus WCON08B ( wide converter )... It works out to be a 24mm f1.4 in this setup as this wide converter does not degrade the lens aperture. Very pleased with the outcome.

Great for Food shot and close portrait shot too ...
    [/IMG]
    It is true it does not degrade the lens aperture, but it will degrade the quality of your photo. Try compare shooting at F1.4 with and without the wide angle converter. You should be able to see some difference....

your photo makes me feel hungry....

Have to agree with that, your Sigma 30mm f1.4 can do better than that without converter. Can see noise or degrading of quality from your picture.

It is true it does not degrade the lens aperture, but it will degrade the quality of your photo. Try compare shooting at F1.4 with and without the wide angle converter. You should be able to see some difference....

your photo makes me feel hungry....

Have to agree with that, your Sigma 30mm f1.4 can do better than that without converter. Can see noise or degrading of quality from your picture.
    Sure ... will work on it again ... i find the vivid function on d5100 over saturated with colours too ... and need to re-calibrate colours for different monitors ...
    Last edited by wucy24; 10th January 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345691429 ... LastLast