Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9141718192021242944 ... LastLast

Thread: D5100 user...fall in!! Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by Konspire

Bro ask u. The 50mm f/1.8g, is a fx lens. When used on dx will be equiv to 75mm, the question is, how is it for u? Is the lens tight for indoors? Thxs to comment.
    50mm on fx is the same as ~34mm on dx.
    Set ur zoom to 34mm n you'll see what fx 50mm gets.

Or r u asking whether 50mm on dx is tight indoors?
    Last edited by SkimMilk; 12th February 2012 at 04:34 AM.

Bro ask u. The 50mm f/1.8g, is a fx lens. When used on dx will be equiv to 75mm, the question is, how is it for u? Is the lens tight for indoors? Thxs to comment.
    Presonally I find it too tight for indoor. Outdoor portrait is good.

Quote Originally Posted by SkimMilk

50mm on fx is the same as ~34mm on dx.
    Set ur zoom to 34mm n you'll see what fx 50mm gets.

Or r u asking whether 50mm on dx is tight indoors?
    Yes bro, i want to know if 50mm on dx is tight indoor. I read up n ppl were saying that due to the 1.5x crop on dx, the 50mm on dx will make it feels like 75mm on fx. But u said here it will be 34mm on dx which equates to 0.5x factor. Is it true? Thxs to enlighten...

Quote Originally Posted by Reno

Presonally I find it too tight for indoor. Outdoor portrait is good.
    Thats what i'm concern. But really heard a lot on its bokeh.....

Thats what i'm concern. But really heard a lot on its bokeh.....
    No choice, one of the factors that affect background blur is focal length. The longer the focal length the more blur the out of focus areas. For wider lenses maybe the sigma 30mm f1.4 is a good alternative

Yes bro, i want to know if 50mm on dx is tight indoor. I read up n ppl were saying that due to the 1.5x crop on dx, the 50mm on dx will make it feels like 75mm on fx. But u said here it will be 34mm on dx which equates to 0.5x factor. Is it true? Thxs to enlighten...
    Eh, wrong understanding? 50mm on dx is equal to 50x1.5=75mm on fx. So if u have a 50mm lens on dx, what you see is what a user on fx will see when he has a 75mm on the fx camera.

So to see what a user on fx sees with a 50mm, a dx user will have to set his lens at ~34mm (34x1.5=51mm). Get what I mean?

Note: 1.5x crop factor applies to Nikon Aps-c sensors. Other brands have other range.
    Last edited by SkimMilk; 12th February 2012 at 11:13 AM.

Default Re: D5100 user...fall in!! Part Two

heard it gave good bokeh.....like good cholesterol...hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    No choice, one of the factors that affect background blur is focal length. The longer the focal length the more blur the out of focus areas. For wider lenses maybe the sigma 30mm f1.4 is a good alternative

heard it gave good bokeh.....like good cholesterol...hehehe
    Haven't use before... But longer lens with wide aperture provide better bokeh than wide angle lens with with wide aperture.

The moon....

Taken using D5100 with 500mm X 1.4xTC stack with 2xTC.... Surprise it can focus, image is quite ok... but for birding, it sucks....

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    The moon....

Taken using D5100 with 500mm X 1.4xTC stack with 2xTC.... Surprise it can focus, image is quite ok... but for birding, it sucks....
    From what I can imagine this photo is not cropped at all right?
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Hi Everyone

I am a new DSLR user. I am interested in D5100 but I heard that night scenery photos taken using D5100 is not as good as D90. Is it truth about it?

Kindly advise?

Thank you in advance first

I don't really think the performance of the D5100 is any much inferior to the D90. What makes you think that? Perhaps there is something I am not aware of.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Definitely not true. D5100 has the same sensor as a D7000(if I'm not wrong). D90 maybe a higher range DSLR, but all it has is more buttons for easier control. however, night sceneries is all about your composition being there at the right time. So picture wise, It won't be more inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye

From what I can imagine this photo is not cropped at all right?
    Crop 10%....

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    I don't really think the performance of the D5100 is any much inferior to the D90. What makes you think that? Perhaps there is something I am not aware of.
    Actually i read it from a web and commented by someone. But looking at this forum, the photos you all have post does prove them off (maybe the lens play an important part) therefore wanted to ask you all about it.

nice one bro......remind me of the movie american werewolf in london. anyways, can explain the 1.4x TC stack with 2xTC...what's that? n i can't achieve this with my 70-300mm.......duh....

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    The moon....

Last edited by Konspire; 13th February 2012 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konspire View Post
    nice one bro......remind me of the movie american werewolf in london. anyways, can explain the 1.4x TC stack with 2xTC...what's that? n i can't achieve this with my 70-300mm.......duh....
    means i mount my 500mm lens with both 1.4xTC and 2.0xTC... therefore my reach is around 500 X 1.4 X 2 X 1.5 crop = 2100mm

Hey bros! New here! I realise that I need a flash for indoor photography cause took some shots and when I used the in built flash is like damn strong but when I don't use is damn dark kinda not like black but shadows. Just knew that d5100 don't support ttl . Does this mean that even I mount on the hotshoe I also can't use ext. Flash or is it like I can use any flash? Thanks! Sorry for beating around the bush! Haha. Duno the technical terms!

hi bro, so far with my experience, d5100 indoor photography is good enough without any flash. i just played around with the aperture/shutter and ISO settings. also you can play with the AWB settings set appropriately to the light condition. don't be surprise as you can really take a nice subtle picture without the flash. i am quite happy with the camera without the flash and had gone quite some time without it until i bought the sb700. and yes, you can use external flash n still control the flash throw in manual mode. dun worry, do more experiment with the camera.

this is all based on my experience with the d5100. other than that, the expert bros here could give u more tips n answers....a lot of wonders to explore...keep shooting...with a smile....

Quote Originally Posted by reinerng View Post
    Hey bros! New here! I realise that I need a flash for indoor photography cause took some shots and when I used the in built flash is like damn strong but when I don't use is damn dark kinda not like black but shadows. Just knew that d5100 don't support ttl . Does this mean that even I mount on the hotshoe I also can't use ext. Flash or is it like I can use any flash? Thanks! Sorry for beating around the bush! Haha. Duno the technical terms!

Konspire said it. ISO set higher, at least 640/800. WB try cloudy also quite nice at times. One other thing to try is diffuse your flash with a white cloth? Or get those diffusers for built in flash(this one I not sure if it's good enuff).