Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to Eygpt with canon :)

Haha, reading Wahoo's long reply to Myoplex, reminds me of my trip there in April too.

1) Yes, Egypt's very dusty not sandy. Bring a lens pen and blower.
    2) Dont change your lens in open area, use a zoom like 18-55 or 17-40
    3) Bring along a polariser, a definite must.
    4) Another must is a portable storage device, 20GB min.
    5) Spare batteries, Middle East uses two pin plugs for chargers
    6) Dont worry about pickpockets, it's quite safe there.

Most important, enjoy your trip and bring along a D&K & LP guide book. The memories there will last you a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by meepokman
    *By the way, I'm using the Nikon Pro system and I have full confidence in them. I will be spending 3 days camping in the desert & 4 days on board a felucca down the Nile.
    4 days on board a felucca? You must be bringing a lot of books and mp3 there to kill your time! It's bored up there.

Wah Egypt! I was down with diarrhoea for 1/3 of the trip when I was there, but I still thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Try to bring a wide angle lens if you can (<24mm), there's are simply lots of wide vistas for you to explore. Think about converting some of your pictures to B&W too.

Read recently that there's a plague of locusts in the area, so be careful!

Protective filters are essential, and as the others said, try to minimise your lens changes. I didn't have too much problem with dust though, eventhough I was shooting with 3 primes and changing lenses from time to time. What I did was place my back to the wind so that I'm blocking the wind, tilt my camera upside down with the mount facing the ground, and quickly change lens, with my girlfriend as my assistant to pass me my lens. I keep my equipment in Ziploc bags when travelling too.

Be careful of touts too, they tend to be very pushy. Taking pictures of locals would mean that you would be their target; there are some smart ones who wait in especially photogenic spots and pose there, waiting for people to snap them, whereupon they would start hassling them. ps US$1 is a VERY big tip for the locals.

I took a trip on a riverboat from Aswan to Luxor, and it was a good experience. If you want to do it on a felucca in Dec, remember to bring a good thick jacket. Most people are unaware of how cold desert area can get at night.

Quote Originally Posted by webstop
    4 days on board a felucca? You must be bringing a lot of books and mp3 there to kill your time! It's bored up there.
    bored? It is really boring?

I guess i can find alot of things to shoot with my camera :P

But i guess its a good break from the hectic pace

mus be veri careful of wat u eat n also take good care of your camera... have fun n shoot more pics...

n also remember to post the pics here...

how long are u going ???
    Simple Is Beautiful...

Quote Originally Posted by meepokman
    bored? It is really boring?

I guess i can find alot of things to shoot with my camera :P

But i guess its a good break from the hectic pace
    I personally didn't take the felluca down, as I am rushed all over Egypt from Alexandria to Sinai in 13 days. But from friends who together with us but decided to took it, it's quite boring, especially after the first day. And they took only 2 days 1 night, you 4 days!

Quote Originally Posted by Xing
    Haha, reading Wahoo's long reply to Myoplex, reminds me of my trip there in April too.

1) Yes, Egypt's very dusty not sandy. Bring a lens pen and blower.
    2) Dont change your lens in open area, use a zoom like 18-55 or 17-40
    3) Bring along a polariser, a definite must.
    4) Another must is a portable storage device, 20GB min.
    5) Spare batteries, Middle East uses two pin plugs for chargers
    6) Dont worry about pickpockets, it's quite safe there.

Most important, enjoy your trip and bring along a D&K & LP guide book. The memories there will last you a lifetime.
    Hi, Is the two pin plug the round type or the flat type 2 pin plug?

Do you keep the polariser on for all the day shots and take them off at night?

Thanks
    joanne

Quote Originally Posted by joteo
    Hi, Is the two pin plug the round type or the flat type 2 pin plug?

Do you keep the polariser on for all the day shots and take them off at night?

Thanks
    joanne
    It's round type.

You'd better take off the poloriser when you don't use it. It'll cut off some light when put on.

Cheers!

Was in Egypt some years back. Yeap, Egypt is very dusty in the city eg. Cairo, and very sandy in the desert (to see pyramids). Be careful of locals who come up to you demanding money, and insisting that you took their pictures. Has a few such unpleasent experience. always have some US coins on hand. Don't waste time with them, just give them the money and go.

Cruise down the Nile is ULTRA boring! I took a 2D1N cruise and not much photos to keep (sure I took plenty of photos, but most looked the same). But it's a long way to see the attractions as most are situated along the banks of the Nile. Travelling by bus will kill, man!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12