Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Me moving backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Nick, we have someone who tracked a Common KF (just a small 15cm avian) in-flight at 500mm + 1.4TC on 1.5x crop body, manual focus. Doesn't matter what camera you are using be it dSLR, SLR, MF, rangefinder etc, it's the skill and pics you produce in the end that matters.

In this case, i don't think the AF of the D2H or your MkII with a fast lens would be sufficiently fast to be able to track it without lady luck having a big investment in it.
    Hi!

Ai... Just had exams today.. 3hrs of German and 2 hrs of Business Management!

2100, thanks for your advice, its true that skills do matter a lot... this I agree completely hands down... Part of this fact going backward to a cheap manual camera is the fact that I'd really like to go into a village or the slums to document the lives of these people. Taking in a 1DMKII with a 70-200 f2.8L and 550EX and shooting in that environment is either unsafe or even if its safe, the people would generally be afraid of that big thing... That's why I was thinking of getting a cheap manual camera too to practice my manual photography and at the same time having it to allow me to go into those places with a small camera that is unobtrusive to the subject and it allows me to talk to those people... I tried this once, if you can remember my Suan Phlu Fire pictures... I talked to those people and they were very kind and nice to me but when I took my camera out (a 300D + 70-200 f4L) the people felt uneasy saying that the camera is scary because it was so big... I told them its ok and it took some urging before I managed to pick some shots... Personally on those types of trips I'd like to use the camera as a secondary thing for documentation whilst interacting with those people without pointing a monster at them...

Of course the 1DMKII has its benefits too, I can't agree with it more... I think that sometimes its just too big and expensive to carry it around those shady places...

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Nick
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Then get something like a Panasonic LC1 or Leica Digilux if you can afford it lor. Different cams for different usage.

nick, you can try looking at rangefinders too, they're lighter and smaller than SLRs.

student: hey we speak the same points! I agree with you. its the mental part that matters, and the gear is there to complement the mental part. you use a huge SLR, you think like a huge SLR. you use a MF or LF, you think like one. you use BW film, you think BW, etc etc.... but lots of pple don't think that. they think I want nice BW pics, so I use BW film, nice watever, need SLR, etc. which is slightly off the whole point I think.

life is too short for so much thinking la,u can afford another camera,why not ?

Want retro? Shoot with a old rangefinder.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Want retro? Shoot with a old rangefinder.
    Anyone wanna let me try?
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234