Thread: Unwanted vignette

Default Unwanted vignette

Hi all, I am using a D90 with 18-105 mm lens. I just bought wide angle/macro teleconverter 0.5x. But I realized there is vignette in e photos I take. Please help! Why are there vignette?

Thank you

Default Re: Unwanted vignette

Quote Originally Posted by piper85 View Post
    Hi all, I am using a D90 with 18-105 mm lens. I just bought wide angle/macro teleconverter 0.5x. But I realized there is vignette in e photos I take. Please help! Why are there vignette?

Thank you
    Shoot it without the converter and you won't see the vignette. Hope you didn't pay too much for the converter. That's what most carrot shops use to chop their customers.

But I bought the converter for wide angle/macro features. I don't understand why here will be vignettes. Could you help me understand? I tried that converter at e shop with the converter on a 18-105mm lens. There wasn't vignette

But I bought the converter for wide angle/macro features. I don't understand why here will be vignettes. Could you help me understand? I tried that converter at e shop with the converter on a 18-105mm lens. There wasn't vignette
    The converter is just a cheap piece of extension that is added onto the lens and not made specifically for a particular lens. The converter might have blocked the edges of the lens and could cause vignetting at certain focal lengths, particularly at the wider ends. Did you test it thoroughly before buying it? Also, if you have inquired on whether to buy a converter here before you bought it, almost everyone here would have advised you against getting it. Lastly, care to tell us how much you paid for it?

I got it for 250. I wanted to get a wife angle lens but cos I'm not really a landscape shooter. More of sports/street/portrait person. But I feel like trying some landscape shots. That's why i didn't want to get a expensive lens for wide angle. Is there anyway I can shoot without the vignette with e teleconverter? Or will the teleconverter work with other lens?

Possibilities includes,

a) the 18-105mm at the shop does not have a filter on it.
    b) the DSLR viewfinder is not 100%, when the image is downloaded to the PC, the vignetting appears.

I got it for 250. I wanted to get a wife angle lens but cos I'm not really a landscape shooter. More of sports/street/portrait person. But I feel like trying some landscape shots. That's why i didn't want to get a expensive lens for wide angle. Is there anyway I can shoot without the vignette with e teleconverter? Or will the teleconverter work with other lens?
    Chances are the converter should not cost you more than $60 but since you already bought it, there's little to be done. Do you mean the wide angle converter or a teleconverter? They are very different things. If you mean the wide angle converter, you can do as mentioned, avoid using a filter with it, if not, you can increase the focal length until you can't see the vignette. I'm not sure how much you have to increase though.

I see! So a filter placed in front of the lens when fitted with the converter does cause it to have vignette. I removed my UV filter and the vignette did disappear. Not totally though but at least it's not that obvious. Can I ask, Is it considered expensive for a filter @ $250? And i'm looking to get a telephoto/macro lens. Could you recommend some good ones?

Quote Originally Posted by piper85
    I see! So a filter placed in front of the lens when fitted with the converter does cause it to have vignette. I removed my UV filter and the vignette did disappear. Not totally though but at least it's not that obvious. Can I ask, Is it considered expensive for a filter @ $250? And i'm looking to get a telephoto/macro lens. Could you recommend some good ones?
    Best that you not know the real price for that converter. The recommendation would depend on your budget. Third party lenses tend to be cheaper.

Crap! Sighs Guess I got Chopped. As for the lens, i'm looking at either tamron/tokina lens. You know any good ones?

Quote Originally Posted by piper85
    Crap! Sighs Guess I got Chopped. As for the lens, i'm looking at either tamron/tokina lens. You know any good ones?
    You mean a macro lens? I'm using a Tokina 100mm macro myself and I'm very satisfied with it. The Tamron 90mm is also very good. You can read some reviews as test the lenses out before buying.

Okay thanks will check them out before buying the lens. Sad. Thanks again!

Got mine here 67mm size here in B&S for $30. Bought it to modify its use; not purely as wide angle/macro lens.