Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting for Wedding dinner

then i think i know why that photographer i mentioned earlier used direct flash.
    ďHow fortunate for leaders that men do not think.Ē - Adolf Hitler

can I said for tableshooting
    with F8, my shutter should be around 1/45 - 1/30 ?
    depend on the lighting condition.

depends on the ambient lighting conditions and how steady you could hold the camera. if you want to capture more ambient lighting, use slower shutter speeds. if you want more handholdability, use faster shutter speeds. for pics that I want sharp, e.g. table shots, I'll go for slightly faster shutter speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by locksley
    can I said for tableshooting
    with F8, my shutter should be around 1/45 - 1/30 ?
    depend on the lighting condition.
    No Diff ..... Depending on your flashlight. 1/30 will capture more ambient lights then 1/45, but at 1/2 stop .... not really visible.

Anyway, may I know what is the reason for f/8?

f8 for table group photo shot

i usu. use 1/60 iso640 or iso800 at f6.3.

but someone taught me to use 1/30, f7.1 or f8 at iso800

using high iso bcos i am using bounce card if not enough batt.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    f8 for table group photo shot

i usu. use 1/60 iso640 or iso800 at f6.3.

but someone taught me to use 1/30, f7.1 or f8 at iso800

using high iso bcos i am using bounce card if not enough batt.
    Are u using digital ?
    Me using Film
    ISO is set on the film
    Will be using Fujifilm NPH 400

I'll be shooting a wedding dinner for my friend in 2 weeks time. For the tea ceremony in the morning, I'll be using a omnibounce, find it better to illuminate the whole room.

I have not taken photos in a hall before though. His wedding dinner is at Westin Stamford. Anyone know what the conditions are like over there? Should I be using a bounce card at 45 deg? How much exposure compensation should I use ? Havent decided what film to use yet, NPH 400 or Press 800.

Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    I have not taken photos in a hall before though. His wedding dinner is at Westin Stamford. Anyone know what the conditions are like over there?.
    Very high ceiling, not suitable for ceiling bounce.
    Should I be using a bounce card at 45 deg? .
    Yes, you may, but not sure what flash are you using, direct flash is acceptable.
    How much exposure compensation should I use?
    Is advisable to give +1EV to your ISO rating, please refer to pervious posting in this thread, and shoot a test roll on this setting, to see are you able to tell the different.
    Havent decided what film to use yet, NPH 400 or Press 800.
    I only shoot with supera400, it work fine for me, however, do a test with NPH and Press, use whatever works for you.

I'll be shooting a wedding dinner for my friend in 2 weeks time. For the tea ceremony in the morning, I'll be using a omnibounce, find it better to illuminate the whole room.

I have not taken photos in a hall before though. His wedding dinner is at Westin Stamford. Anyone know what the conditions are like over there? Should I be using a bounce card at 45 deg? How much exposure compensation should I use ? Havent decided what film to use yet, NPH 400 or Press 800.

Me use Superia 400 ..... Tried NPH 400 .... nice skin tone .... but all else is ..... ........ hehehehehe......

Press 800 also good, since no one will blow up the Actual Day pictures to 8R size, it is ok to use Press 800 if you got the money .

For me Superia 400 is good enough already ....

Whether to use bounce card at whichever deg is up to you, how much more compensation to use is also up to you. You should understand your flashlight's characteristic.

Thanx catchlights and blurblock for your comments. I'm using the Minolta 5600 flash. I'll test out the different flash methods today in my company D&D and post the results later

You're alway welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Very high ceiling, not suitable for ceiling bounce.
    Is swisshotel so high until it's unbounceable? I find it ok, Intercontinental is pretty high too.

I even bounce at Suntec SICEC 4th and 6th sty halls for the group shots. That's the threshold, i think. Ceiling panels are not flat and are actually sound absorbing boards. Get ready your batt packs.

I will suggest 5.6f... You will not go wrong with this setting.
    Whether to use bonuce or not really depend on the ground. You need to access the height of the ceiling and also the type of surface of the ceiling, you will not get as much rebonced light from a rough surface compared to a flat surface.

I had try b4 using ISO200 film, a 35-105mm len at f8 with shutter @ 1/60 and flash with a wide angle diffuser... all work out quite well

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Is swisshotel so high until it's unbounceable? I find it ok, Intercontinental is pretty high too.

I even bounce at Suntec SICEC 4th and 6th sty halls for the group shots. That's the threshold, i think. Ceiling panels are not flat and are actually sound absorbing boards. Get ready your batt packs.
    It depend on what flash are you using and have a battery pack or not, as for me, Iíll use bounce light whenever I can.

I donít not know what kind of flash he is using, and his level of skill, and is acceptable to use direct flash for dinner event.

Personally, I donít recommend anyone buy a new piece of equipment or try out new technique just for a wedding.

Is best to stay on the safe side, get the shots right, capture the moments, donít use the newly wed couple as your guinea pig, unless you are the backup photographer.

It will be best ,if u are not the backup photographer, to do some trial shooting with all the equipment before the actual day. Since it is a wedding, although low cost, but after all it is still a wedding(once in a life time)... It can also be used to check the condition of the camera/equipment.

IMO, try to take note of your metering too when taking up close...when the bride is in white and groom is in black. Note your metering to avoid over or under exposure.

Something to share
    I just tested with my NPH

under the hotel light
    I used ISO 400
    60 - F5.6 EV-2 FE-2 (With direct flash)
    turn out "ok"

45- F4.5 EV-1.5 FE-2 (With direct flash)
    Turn out quite nice (background was better shown)

30 - F5.0 EV-2 FE-2 (With direct flash)
    Turn out very nice (background was best shown) Risking hand shake

just 2 cents

Default Pocketbounce or Omnibounce or Bounce Card?

I'm helping a friend with his wedding dinner at Amara. Which of the above is better (or your preference)?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by sillyme
    I'm helping a friend with his wedding dinner at Amara. Which of the above is better (or your preference)?

Thanks in advance
    Ballroom of Amara Hotel is black ceiling, but not high, bounce card can.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast