Thread: Minimalist Attempt

Default Minimalist Attempt

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition and if the picture has sufficient amount of light to throw off the unnecessary stuff in the image.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Trying out doing this with a 10 Stop ND and checking if I'm going in the correct direction

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Mid morning with cloudy sky. Shot this with a UWA at 16mm on cropped with a 10 stop ND. Post process convert to B&W and adjustment brush (+ev) to remove the additional stuff in the image

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

The picture right out of the camera is still very cluttered with too much things in the background and horizon, hence the adjustment brush was used to remove it. But I'm really wondering if I'm doing minimalist correctly.
    Hope you guys could give me some guidance or point me to the right directions.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Seems fine to me i like it..however u might wanna add some gradient from top and bottom with the bottom one being darker and just a dab of gray from the top..just experiment ard to see what u can get
    just a normal shooter
    my flickr page - http://www.flickr.com/photos/34963569@N07/

Default Re: Minimalist Attempt

If this is first attempt, not bad at all.... take more care and pay more attention to the lower part of the frame.. Banding could be seen and sometimes cannot be avoided. Adding gradient to the lower frame is not advisable as it will enhance the banding as well. Nice effort though..........
    Last edited by MGohzxc; 30th December 2011 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MGohzxc View Post
    If this is first attempt, not bad at all.... take more care and pay more attention to the lower part of the frame.. Banding could be seen and sometimes cannot be avoided. Adding gradient to the lower frame is not advisable as it will enhance the banding as well. Nice effort though..........
    good eyes there bro, was replying from my hp so couldnt see the banding..
    just a normal shooter
    my flickr page - http://www.flickr.com/photos/34963569@N07/

Thanks for all ur comments
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

wow incredible. Me likes

Should print it out large and frame it.

It's 4, try to have odd numbers if it is large enough to be calculated.

You don't concern the numbers of flowers in a large bouquet of flowers though, if it is more than like 10, but if the number is like from 2 to 5 or 7 and depending on the size and arrangement, and it is the main subject of the picture, then it is best to be in odd numbers.

Minimalism does not necessarily always mean miserably few or little things, in general, unneccesary things are reduced to a more uncomplicated numbers and more focus. In this case, this picture does present minimalism to a certain degree, however in my opinion, it is too few and too even to express it effectively. Well, beauty is usually in the eyes of the beholder, and that's what I saw.

Well, definitely a good start and a very bold attempt, enjoy making more of such pcitures, well done!