Thread: Best place to view Northern Lights

Default Best place to view Northern Lights

Hi,

I am wondering wheres the best place to view the Northern Lights? I know there are a few places to see it. Which would be the most convenient from Singapore and where would have the highest occurence? I am thinking of Alaska or Iceland.

Thanks!

Default Re: Best place to view Northern Lights

check out this thread:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-...solo-trip.html

You may wish to find out more from the threadstarter.

You may also want to search a bit in the Landscape section, if I am not mistaken, I rem seeing a member posted a Finland thread and inside the thread I saw a photo of the northern light too.

Anywhere within the Arctic Circle is good for Northern Lights, Popular places to see Northern Lights in Europe are Tromso (Norway) and Kiruna (Sweden), Fairbanks in Alaska is also very popular for Northern Lights, these are the places where you can find very well-established Northern Lights tour. The best season to see Northern Lights are from September to March, because the nights are longer and darker during this period, normally you can expect Northern Lights from around 6pm-midnight, dark surrounding is essential to see Northern Lights, therefore you will need to get away from the city, and preferably days without moon (new moon).

i went to Tromso early January this year, that is when the place experience Polar Nights, the Sun stay below horizon whole day, the "day-time" are only a few hours of twilight. because of the location of Tromso, the climate at Tromso is milder compared to Kiruna and Fairbanks, with around 0 degree in the town even in Winter, compared to -20 or lower in Kiruna and Fairbanks.

watching Northern Lights is really about luck, there is no guarantee that you can see it during your stay, i would suggest to stay 4 nights or longer and pray hard.

I will only go to Fairbanks to see Aurora if i am already somewhere in the Northern America region. The flight to get there from here is just simply too long - had the experience of almost 24 hours just to get back from Alaska in June this year and that's with like 4 flights in a day!

Europe is a better place if you were to travel, since it's within 14 hrs of flight, from Singapore. As long as you are within the Arctic Circle region, it should not be an issue in terms of looking for aurora. Look for places that have reputation of clear sky during the period.

If you are interested in photography of these phenomenon, you will have to make sure the places you are at, when photography, are on the outskirts of the town/city/village, so as not to bleed lights into your photos.

Finally, you could check out those Aurora "hunting" local tours there which increase the percentage of making a success in looking for it... But, it also depends on the solar flares & winds. Sometimes, when it's high, the aurora will be spectacular, while when it's low, it might be mediocre and sometimes, there is none.

Hopefully there is full blast of both around CNY period, and have spectacular aurora happening.... Oh, if anyone in that area now, there is a forecast that there are strong possible show of it during the New Year (30 Dec - 1 Jan) period due to a strong solar wind developing. Go read spaceweather.com for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    I will only go to Fairbanks to see Aurora if i am already somewhere in the Northern America region. The flight to get there from here is just simply too long - had the experience of almost 24 hours just to get back from Alaska in June this year and that's with like 4 flights in a day!

Europe is a better place if you were to travel, since it's within 14 hrs of flight, from Singapore. As long as you are within the Arctic Circle region, it should not be an issue in terms of looking for aurora. Look for places that have reputation of clear sky during the period.

If you are interested in photography of these phenomenon, you will have to make sure the places you are at, when photography, are on the outskirts of the town/city/village, so as not to bleed lights into your photos.

Finally, you could check out those Aurora "hunting" local tours there which increase the percentage of making a success in looking for it... But, it also depends on the solar flares & winds. Sometimes, when it's high, the aurora will be spectacular, while when it's low, it might be mediocre and sometimes, there is none.

Hopefully there is full blast of both around CNY period, and have spectacular aurora happening.... Oh, if anyone in that area now, there is a forecast that there are strong possible show of it during the New Year (30 Dec - 1 Jan) period due to a strong solar wind developing. Go read spaceweather.com for more details.
    n waiting to c yur images for that trip.. cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by Will03 View Post
    n waiting to c yur images for that trip.. cheers..
    Well, you are heading that area as well, so who knows, you might get some images too! Could be better than mine :P