Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

  1. #1

    Default Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Hi guys, first of all, I love taking landscape and plan to get a UWA for my Canon 600D. I have been considering this 2 lenses after reading reviews for UWA lens. Seems that the canon one is more popular around here, seen a lot of pics taken with it and a saw quite a lot in canon B&S section as well. So far not much people mention about the sigma ones. Any feedback on this sigma 8-16mm? Pic quality likes, built wise is pretty good mention in review but too bad can't use filter. Just need a tiny bit of 2 cent by anyone who used this sigma before, feedback will be gladly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Im at the same position as you. But i also look into tamron's UWA.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    I see, tamron which one? care to share?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Hi I am using sigma 8-16 and I really love every bit of this lens . The only con is you can't use filter unless u customize one for it .

    Iq is really good and really love the perspective at 8mm .

    Not a canon user , so can't comment on 10-22mm . But heard that it's pretty good too .
    My Flickr ->Flickr

  5. #5
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Well... I am also looking for a UWA lens and I have looked into

    1) Canon's 10-22mm
    2) Sigma 10-20mm
    3) Sigma 8-16mm
    4) Tokina 11-16
    5) Tokina 12-24mm

    For me... the 10-22mm is abit out of my budget... too expensive... although the Sigma 8-16 was in the same (or almost the same) pricing, but I am pretty interested in the 8mm perspective. It is not true that you cannot use a filter for the lens, the lens cap came in two parts, one of them had threads in them that allow you to screw in a filter, however anything under 15-16 would have terrible vignetting. I have read that LEE do offer a specialise square filter holder for this lens, but knowing LEE, the price is as good as getting a new lens.

    So in the end, I am looking at 11-16 and 12-24 of the tokina. I will go down to the shop to test them out tomorrow and see which one suits me better.

    Oh... I forgot to mention - the Sigma 10-20mm is also highly regarded... but somehow, I don't feel the urge to get that lens (it is more due to my own personal feel and not that the lens is in anyway inferior).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  6. #6

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    I owned and used both before. I liked the Canon more. Image quality-wise, both are good. The deciding factor is probably down to two factors. The first which has been pointed out already is that the Sigma cannot use conventional filters. The second is the focal length. I prefer the focal length of the Canon which makes it a more versatile lens. I mean, 10mm is already wide enough for me, so I don't really find 8mm of the Sigma as useful as the extra reach to 22mm of the Canon (which is about 35mm equivalent).

  7. #7

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Well... I am also looking for a UWA lens and I have looked into

    1) Canon's 10-22mm
    2) Sigma 10-20mm
    3) Sigma 8-16mm
    4) Tokina 11-16
    5) Tokina 12-24mm

    For me... the 10-22mm is abit out of my budget... too expensive... although the Sigma 8-16 was in the same (or almost the same) pricing, but I am pretty interested in the 8mm perspective. It is not true that you cannot use a filter for the lens, the lens cap came in two parts, one of them had threads in them that allow you to screw in a filter, however anything under 15-16 would have terrible vignetting. I have read that LEE do offer a specialise square filter holder for this lens, but knowing LEE, the price is as good as getting a new lens.

    So in the end, I am looking at 11-16 and 12-24 of the tokina. I will go down to the shop to test them out tomorrow and see which one suits me better.

    Oh... I forgot to mention - the Sigma 10-20mm is also highly regarded... but somehow, I don't feel the urge to get that lens (it is more due to my own personal feel and not that the lens is in anyway inferior).
    Let me know how it turns out for you the tokina ones. Seems pretty interesting to me cause cheaper if you say good then I might as well wanna take a good look into it too. CNY nearing wanna cut cost on everything.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Quote Originally Posted by esoeij View Post
    I owned and used both before. I liked the Canon more. Image quality-wise, both are good. The deciding factor is probably down to two factors. The first which has been pointed out already is that the Sigma cannot use conventional filters. The second is the focal length. I prefer the focal length of the Canon which makes it a more versatile lens. I mean, 10mm is already wide enough for me, so I don't really find 8mm of the Sigma as useful as the extra reach to 22mm of the Canon (which is about 35mm equivalent).
    Okay, I'll take that into consideration too.

  9. #9
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Quote Originally Posted by j0eb0ng View Post
    Let me know how it turns out for you the tokina ones. Seems pretty interesting to me cause cheaper if you say good then I might as well wanna take a good look into it too. CNY nearing wanna cut cost on everything.
    Sure, I will give you an update tomorrow. Anyway, I am leaning towards the 12-24mm... I know it is not really too wide, but I like the range, and it the mk ii version had a better motor as compared to the mk I version and I heard that focusing is pretty fast. So I can use it in my street photography too.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  10. #10

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    the 8-16 is lovely.. very poisonous lens.. but i think diy filter for it is more tough than using 12-24 (the one for FF).. so here is another execuse to get a FF camera.. haha..

    but then so far i didn't see any DIY for 10 stops filters on sigma 12-24... only gnd...

    samyang is making a filter for its 14mm uwa, so it might helps..

  11. #11
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    I would get the 10-22.

    Because the 8-16 doesn't allow you to use filters, which is a huge letdown.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Already reserve to rent the 10-22mm from camera rental centre for 11 days, gonna see how it works out for me. Apart from can't use filters let down, anything else from the quality of the pics?

  13. #13
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Quote Originally Posted by j0eb0ng View Post
    Already reserve to rent the 10-22mm from camera rental centre for 11 days, gonna see how it works out for me. Apart from can't use filters let down, anything else from the quality of the pics?
    For Sigma 8-16mm, I would say that the quality of the pic is pretty sharp and nice... but I find distortion abit too much and was like a fisheye,

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/penta...-8-16-hsm.html

    Somehow by looking at those pic in the above mentioned thread, I felt a weird sense of dizziness... maybe I am not use to the style and fisheye effect.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  14. #14
    Member JohnJon82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lavender
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Quote Originally Posted by j0eb0ng View Post
    Already reserve to rent the 10-22mm from camera rental centre for 11 days, gonna see how it works out for me. Apart from can't use filters let down, anything else from the quality of the pics?
    11 days? How much is the rental already? Go buy one and sell after 11 days maybe cheaper than the rental.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

  15. #15

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    11 days? How much is the rental already? Go buy one and sell after 11 days maybe cheaper than the rental.
    they quote me $143, nvm la. Already reserve with them, try out then I know I like it or not.

  16. #16
    Member JohnJon82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lavender
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Quote Originally Posted by j0eb0ng View Post
    they quote me $143, nvm la. Already reserve with them, try out then I know I like it or not.
    O, I thought 200-300 those range... Enjoy the lens~
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

  17. #17

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    For Sigma 8-16mm, I would say that the quality of the pic is pretty sharp and nice... but I find distortion abit too much and was like a fisheye,

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/penta...-8-16-hsm.html

    Somehow by looking at those pic in the above mentioned thread, I felt a weird sense of dizziness... maybe I am not use to the style and fisheye effect.
    Erm not 100% true . The vertical distortion is an intend composition from the ts of that thread . Nothing to do with the lens .

    I own a fisheye , the effect for both lens is totally different
    My Flickr ->Flickr

  18. #18

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    I think distortion is hard to avoid in these kind of UWA lens, did not use the Sigma before. But after reading reviews I decided to go for Canon instead.

    Love the lens, the distortion can be use for some creative shoots. But watch out when shooting close up you may accidently get too close to your subject =)

    Some of my shoots all done in the Canon 10-22 > AFA 11 - a set on Flickr

  19. #19

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    O, I thought 200-300 those range... Enjoy the lens~
    Nope, they quote me $143 for 11 days. Maybe I've got some special discount for renting so many days.

  20. #20
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM & Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

    Just an update if TS is still interested. I have gotten the Tokina 12-24mm f4 lens.... try out the 11-16mm too... like it alot... but hate the price (I am a cheapskate), so I get the 12-24mm and immediately out and test out the lens. Pretty sharp lens it is.

    Btw, the Tokina 11-16mm is S$900 in TKfoto and Tokina 12-24mm is S$760 (that is the cheapest I can find after sending out request for quotation from lots of shops)









    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •