Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5202528293031323540 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon 5D mk3 in Spring

Default Re: Canon 5D mk3 in Spring

Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    Thanks for the reviews

I bought the 50L knowing its short comings especially at the wide aperture area. But the softness at f/1.2 is not satisfactory (after giving consideration of the weakness of this lens), even with centre-focused pictures. Will be sending it to CSC for calibration.. haha!
    I suggest that you think twice about the calibration.

When I bought the 50L, I too had a feeling of being ripped-off. The wide open performance is not acceptable, especially when you compare to the sharpness of 35L wide open. But seriously, you don't buy this lens to shoot at MFD and test charts/subjects. Go out there, take portraitures, candids. This lens is perfect. The slight softness actually brings flattering results to people's faces. I never thought of the shortcomings of this lens further.

If you want sharpness wide open, go for 35L or Sigma 85.

And CanonRumors site has crashed... Lol.

Error establishing a database connection

Quote Originally Posted by chengpenguin View Post
    And CanonRumors site has crashed... Lol.

Error establishing a database connection
    lol. too much traffic! early this morning it crashed too. seems like the hype on the mark III surpassed even the 1DX's.
    5DIII / 17-40 f4L / 24-70 f2.8L / 70-200 f2.8L IS USM MKII / 50 f1.4 EX / 580EX II

Quote Originally Posted by jasonyjw

lol. too much traffic! early this morning it crashed too. seems like the hype on the mark III surpassed even the 1DX's.
    The 5D3/x is reasonably within reach of the serious hobbyists n many pros. Whereas the 1Dx is probably going to just a pipe dream, or wet dream, for mere mortals...

Quote Originally Posted by esoeij View Post
    The 5D3/x is reasonably within reach of the serious hobbyists n many pros. Whereas the 1Dx is probably going to just a pipe dream, or wet dream, for mere mortals...
    That is so true though .... they probably sell 15-20 pieces of the 5Dmkiii for every 1Dx they sell ! Probably even more !!!

This lens is perfect. The slight softness actually brings flattering results to people's faces.
    What about the subject's eyes? I don't want them to look soft. The subject's eyes should be tack sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7

What about the subject's eyes? I don't want them to look soft. The subject's eyes should be tack sharp.
    Try it for yourself. I shot mine wide open at times and the eyes were sharp. Hope we are not talking about pixel peeping here.

This is a perfect FF portrait lens IMO.

When I bought the 50L, I too had a feeling of being ripped-off. The wide open performance is not acceptable, especially when you compare to the sharpness of 35L wide open. But seriously, you don't buy this lens to shoot at MFD and test charts/subjects. Go out there, take portraitures, candids. This lens is perfect. The slight softness actually brings flattering results to people's faces. I never thought of the shortcomings of this lens further.

otoh i'm sure if you try hard enough you can work the characteristics - not weakness - of the lens to your advantage to produce good pictures.

Hmm I don't feel ripped off, no worries I bought the lens for the optics and bokeh capabilities. I was clearly aware of the soft focus issue, the 50 f/1.4 can beat it at certain aperture range.

Just had a little concern over the sample pics I've posted earlier (the page before). 2 bros here recommended to check with CSC as they also acknowledged that there may be significant softness issues. What's your take on the sample pictures posted?

Quote Originally Posted by avsquare

Hmm I don't feel ripped off, no worries I bought the lens for the optics and bokeh capabilities. I was clearly aware of the soft focus issue, the 50 f/1.4 can beat it at certain aperture range.

Just had a little concern over the sample pics I've posted earlier (the page before). 2 bros here recommended to check with CSC as they also acknowledged that there may be significant softness issues. What's your take on the sample pictures posted?
    IMO, 50 f1.4 can't beat the 50L at all. The CA issue is already killing me haha.

As for photos, I suggest you use it to shoot portraits wide open and come back with results. I believe that justifies the lens better. It's a portrait lens, not bell lens

IMO, 50 f1.4 can't beat the 50L at all. The CA issue is already killing me haha.

As for photos, I suggest you use it to shoot portraits wide open and come back with results. I believe that justifies the lens better. It's a portrait lens, not bell lens

In fact the sample pictures are cropped images of the original, which is actually a portrait of my fortune cat
    I set the focus at the bell, but it appeared soft at f1.2
    But overall, the image is nice if I don't zoom 100% and pixel peep. Bokeh is sexy and creamy

The Canon rumors website is finally up! Haha.. Really kenna bombed by Canon Nation man!

Can't wait for 5DIII/X to come out!

That said, my guess is 5DX will come out first before 5DIII! What say you peeps?
    Nikon & Leica

Quote Originally Posted by Far far away
    The Canon rumors website is finally up! Haha.. Really kenna bombed by Canon Nation man!

Can't wait for 5DIII/X to come out!

That said, my guess is 5DX will come out first before 5DIII! What say you peeps?
    I thought the latest leaked photo suggested it will be called 5d3? Maybe 5dx is the one will be announced in Q3 2012

In fact the sample pictures are cropped images of the original, which is actually a portrait of my fortune cat
    I set the focus at the bell, but it appeared soft at f1.2
    But overall, the image is nice if I don't zoom 100% and pixel peep. Bokeh is sexy and creamy
    BTW here is the full JPEG:

f/1.2

f/2

f/2.8

f/4

CR.com was doing a server switch that's why got down time. not because of traffic.

f/1.2

f/2

f/2.8

f/4
    for me look okay.

Yup the cat photos looks fine to me too. Enjoy your 50L

were the shots done on tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by avsquare

f/1.2

f/2

f/2.8

f/4
    Looks sharp to me as well!
    Nikon & Leica

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSid

I thought the latest leaked photo suggested it will be called 5d3? Maybe 5dx is the one will be announced in Q3 2012
    Just remember about Bro raydio posted about the Canon roadmap and this being the tenth year of EOS and that they are naming their flagship models with the X mark. 1DX is already announced and that is a merger of the 1D and 1DS series. The specs for the upcoming 5D sort of resemble a merger of the 5D and 7D series hence it makes sense to me that it be called the 5DX as well. Just a crazy thought of mine! Hehe...
    Nikon & Leica