Thread: Wide angle lens

Default Wide angle lens

Hi i am a total newbie on here.

I am planning to buy a cheap wide angle con lens just for fun on ebay. Been seaching and saw some 0.42x 0.45x 0.50x 0.70x

Which one is wider? i am thinking its the 0.70x???

thanks.
    Last edited by LT SIN; 28th December 2011 at 01:03 AM.

Default Re: Wide angle lens

You may want to take a look at this thread first: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...ur-camera.html
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Widest is 0.42x
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by LT SIN View Post
    Hi i am a total newbie on here.

I am planning to buy a cheap wide angle con lens just for fun on ebay. Been seaching and saw some 0.42x 0.45x 0.50x 0.70x

Which one is wider? i am thinking its the 0.70x???

thanks.
    i wanted to use this converters to get some wide angle out of my camera too, but was immediately advised against it. just my two cents.
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

No worries, can buy these converter if they are cheap. Then use them as paper weigh... kind of cooler than those with encrusted insect in it.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by Valkarian View Post
    i wanted to use this converters to get some wide angle out of my camera too, but was immediately advised against it. just my two cents.
    thank you sin77. straight forward.

@Valkarian, yeh read the thread where they advised against. but im not about to spend hundreds of dollars vs 40 bucks as i just started photography. ill start with the cheap stuff first until i get a good hang of it

Quote Originally Posted by LT SIN

@Valkarian, yeh read the thread where they advised against. but im not about to spend hundreds of dollars vs 40 bucks as i just started photography. ill start with the cheap stuff first until i get a good hang of it
    Dun even give in to buying WAC.... If u want to start cheap just practice at 18mm from ur kit. I frown everytime when shops pushes these converters ard and quoted $200+ for them. And a friend of mine was a victim recently when he quietly purchase one without consulting us...
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

it is a waste of money. such converters degrades image quality significantly.

18mm on a kit lens is wide enough. save the money.

if u really want to go wider, can always read up on panorama stitching using free software. u learn more, can go much wider and get better image quality. best of all, its free.

Or just rent a UWA lens. :P
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Or just rent a UWA lens. :P
    second this idea....
    unless ts is using a pns...
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by LT SIN View Post

it is better to buy a Holga than of a piece of junk.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Basically, by adding a wide angle converter to the lens, you will be adding another few optics to the lens itself. When there is another optic there, there is bound to have some light lost... not to mention most of these converter's are not high quality, especially when you get them cheap from ebay. And that would further degrade your image quality... not to mention it will distort your entire photo so much that it is no longer useful.

There really is no need to buy these junks just to get the hand of landscape photography... if you want to shoot wide, use your kit lens' 18mm, it should be wide enough. If you forsee that you need something wider, go to rent a 10-22mm and see if you like it or not. If you like it, save your money and get one.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

It's really not worth the money, thou it's only few dollars, but its still money. Rather spend the money on renting one UWA lens like that others have mentioned. And shoot for the whole day. It degrades your image quality pretty much. Until then, you will find that PnS will produce a better image quality.

Just my 2 cents.
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

I would not recommend the use of a converter.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Yea those converter are no no to me.. If you really like wide angle then you probably have to spend or save abit more and get a proper lens instead of those converter.. Like many mentioned..you can always rent 1 first and see if you like it or not.

You can look for a 2nd hand UWA lens from the BnS section. You can always sell it without much loss if you don't like it.
    D200

Rent an UWA lens, it's cheap though. I rent 11 days $143. Not so bad for me cos Im still trying out whether worth getting it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by j0eb0ng
    Rent an UWA lens, it's cheap though. I rent 11 days $143. Not so bad for me cos Im still trying out whether worth getting it or not.
    Buy a used one, use for 3 months and you likely lose less than $143 selling it.

why would u want to use an inferior glass to cover on your camera lens with a much superior glass?

inferior glass + manufacturer glass = horrible distortion + vignetting = rubbish photos.

if u like to do wide angle shoots, just save up and buy a proper wide angle lens. Or use the $40 to rent a lens for 1 day to play with.