Thread: Snapping a Solitaire

Default Snapping a Solitaire

Hi All:

I'd like to ask what's the best way to get a closeup pic of a solitaire. Using flash might counter the brilliance of the diamond so there's a trade-off there. Any recommendations or tips? TIA! *smiles*

Not exactly photographing a diamond, but the techniques here may be useful : http://theswampbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8506

The other option may be to join one of SLCC's (Pro Image ?) product shoot classes.

That's neat! Thanks for sharing!

But I just wanted to snap this particular solitaire ring. Not a product photographer.

Blog Entries

IMHO

The background should be dark to bring out the sparkle of the diamond.

For a diamond to sparkle, the light needs to come in from the sides and reflect off the many facets of the diamond. So your light needs to be from the sides. Maybe small focused lights from 3 angles.

A good macro lens with as much DOF as possible.

A sturdy tripod.

A big diamond.

I hope this helps you.

Dont know if this will help.

Once spoke to a uncle who bought a disfunct manual lens from a friend of mine. I ask him whats his intention for this lens. His answer sets me thinking :

1) His intention is to somehow dismentle the lens, place cat eye stone on the aperture blade. Shine light from below. Adjust the aperture ring untill u fet the sparkle from within the stone till satisfy.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    Dont know if this will help.

Once spoke to a uncle who bought a disfunct manual lens from a friend of mine. I ask him whats his intention for this lens. His answer sets me thinking :

1) His intention is to somehow dismentle the lens, place cat eye stone on the aperture blade. Shine light from below. Adjust the aperture ring untill u fet the sparkle from within the stone till satisfy.
    for photography?

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    for photography?
    I have not try that yet, But it should work with a black back drop.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.