Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advise for winter photography.

Default Re: Need advise for winter photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonbecks View Post
    I'm actually looking for digital camera. But I heard reviews that the lens might get stucked.... As for dslr, I'm totally new and know nuts about it.
    try Olympus Tough series:
    OLYMPUS TOUGH series | Compact Digital Cameras | Olympus Imaging Singapore

Hi guys.. im going Hong kong during the first few days of january. The weather wont be as cold but it would be around 15-20 degrees. This will be the first time im carrying a dslr overseas and im wondering what are the preparations i have to make to keep it safe...
    Besides extra batteries.. what other things do i have to look out for?

I reckon this post is a bit related to my question but sorry if i hijacked op in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdgw View Post
    Hi guys.. im going Hong kong during the first few days of january. The weather wont be as cold but it would be around 15-20 degrees. This will be the first time im carrying a dslr overseas and im wondering what are the preparations i have to make to keep it safe...

I reckon this post is a bit related to my question but sorry if i hijacked op in anyway.
    As long as you don't try shooting in the rain and practice common sense, like not shooting in a storm (although many would tell you that it is alright when you shoot in rain if you have weather proof camera), you saw a hailstorm coming your way, get into a shelter and stuff like that, you should be alright.

I mean... 15 to 20 degree is not even consider as very cold... there really is no need to specially protect your camera at all.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    As long as you don't try shooting in the rain and practice common sense.
    shooting in rain is not that bad but practise prudence, if the rain is heavy and pouring, common sense tells you to take shelter instead. But if the rain is light to moderate, it is actually perfectly fine to take photos (you just had to frame fast enough to take a few shots).

and if u are worried, just buy a rain sleeve to cover and protect your cam.

there is some photos which u cannot miss shooting in the rain. the mood and feel is totally different.
    Last edited by sinned79; 27th December 2011 at 03:46 PM.

You think your camera is made of Tofu? Believe me, the camera will survive WAY better than you will.

Why does everyone think a DSLR is so fragile????? Why is it so hard to use basic, primary-school level logic: DSLR cameras are designed in Japan. Japan has a cold winter. Ergo...?
    Alpha

I'm actually looking for digital camera. But I heard reviews that the lens might get stucked.... As for dslr, I'm totally new and know nuts about it.
    u have nothing to worry about. manufacturers do not make cameras that only works on sunny days i was in korea ard december for abt 1 week and like i mentioned, i bought my old point-and-shoot camera skiing (old fujifilm F200exr). its nothing.

battery might drain faster in sub-zero temperature so just bring a spare battery and keep it warm in your wind-breaker.

just shoot and have fun. holiday is meant for u to enjoy, not worry abt equipment spoil and other problems. 15-20 degrees celsius is nothing. u get 17 degrees in cameron highlands already

The safest place is: leave it at home. If your camera is your Precious that's needs protection and mollycoddling then don't bring it out.
    Beside this: you have this booklet called Operation Manual. The last sections have a chapter: Operation Environment (or similar). Do read this, ponder about what Rashkae mentioned about where the camera was designed and compare with your question again. Hopefully, you got the answer.
    Had my 350D in North Vietnam during December, day time temperatures 10-15 degrees, occasional showers, some drizzle. Camera worked perfectly fine although neither camera or lens never heard about 'weather sealing'.
    Last edited by Octarine; 27th December 2011 at 05:01 PM.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Why does everyone think a DSLR is so fragile????? Why is it so hard to use basic, primary-school level logic: DSLR cameras are designed in Japan. Japan has a cold winter. Ergo...?
    Ergo: must ask for double / triple confirmation so that one has somebody to blame and point fingers if Precious gets spoiled.
    EOS

I experienced that before too, my digital point-and-shoot froze up in normal European 10 degree weather a few years back but nothing permanent, just missed a few shots before it went back to normal.

If you are not too keen to embark on the dSLR route then consider the micro 4/3 range - with a 1k budget the second generation GF2 or EP2 will take great photos and give you some manual control if you want to try it out.

Winter or not most cameras will still work fine, no need to look for a camera with great reviews on its winter capability. Most important is to buy it early and get used to its controls so you know how to troubleshoot when you are out having fun on your holiday. Nothing worse than fumbling in the cold with unfamiliar buttons while your fingers are freezing off!

Last edited by Entity; 27th December 2011 at 05:40 PM.
    Nikonian since 2003
    F55 | D700

Well... when I say do not shoot in rain... I mean, I have read quite a few stories (horror stories) of people claiming that their camera died (one of them was in CS and it involved a supposedly weather sealed camera and another few stories are in other forums... all brands are not excluded from this experience). And it is noted that to some people it is drizzling, while to others, it might be pouring.

Normally I do not care about a bit of water, I have been shooting in mild rain... and my camera survived pretty alright, while I caught a cold (damnit!). Anyway, to be more safe, I would advise people not to shoot in the rain, because you never know what type of rain that person consider light.

What I can say is... when shooting outdoor, practice lots of common sense... not only to protect the camera... but most importantly... protect yourself.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by Entity View Post
    I experienced that before too, my digital point-and-shoot froze up in normal European 10 degree weather a few years back but nothing permanent, just missed a few shots before it went back to normal.

If you are not too keen to embark on the dSLR route then consider the micro 4/3 range - with a 1k budget the second generation GF2 or EP2 will take great photos and give you some manual control if you want to try it out.

Winter or not most cameras will still work fine, no need to look for a camera with great reviews on its winter capability. Most important is to buy it early and get used to its controls so you know how to troubleshoot when you are out having fun on your holiday. Nothing worse than fumbling in the cold with unfamiliar buttons while your fingers are freezing off!
    True enough... Main reason for me to look for a good camera is becos it's my first trip to winter country and take as much pictures as possible..

Quote Originally Posted by mrdgw

At those temps, I wouldn't bother with extra batteries.

As Rashke put it. This winter thing is going overboard.

I've used the A55 with its so called poor battery life in sub 10C for a week. have to charge daily but never had to use my spare.

Used a Casio 600 in sub 5 temps with some skiing days, battery lasted a few days one charge.

Used a Nikon 3000 for 2 weeks in the Sichuan region at above 10 and in constant damp and drizzle. No problems.

Bottom line, bring a spare battery, memory card and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

What I can say is... when shooting outdoor, practice lots of common sense... not only to protect the camera... but most importantly... protect yourself.
    +1 to this.

even if camera is weather sealed, we're not lightning proof and singapore has very high incidence of lightning strike. if its "cat 1" weather, just pack and make for shelter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12