Thread: Is this overboard?

Default Is this overboard?

When you guys buy lenses, I'm sure you inspect them thoroughly before buying. For scratches, alignment, front/ back focus, whatever.

However, I find the insides of the lens (lens elements) particularly hard to check. At home, I use a rather strong LED torch to inspect the internal elements for a quick routine check for foreign matter or to check for smudges from cleaning.

Is it overboard to do that at a camera shop to check the internal lens elements? I recently inspected a lens I bought and there're some weird paint-like green smudges on the side of an internal element. Brand new Nikon lens.

Cheers.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is this overboard?

no. ur paying x thousand amount. check all you want.

I once saw someone checking the lens with a ultraviolet torch light so you are all good.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

why not? it's not like checking it for hours or doing any harms to the lens. if the shop staff starts to criticise u, change to other shops or look for another staff. one of the TK staff used to criticise me when i look through the lens pointing to the ceiling lights for dust...so just ignore those type of ppl.

Blog Entries

if anyone of them decides to happily criticize me for no apparent/valid reason...

they will lose a potential customer.

The more you fiddling with the lenses usually more problems are crop up, but the more you use your lenses usually images get better.....
    W204FL

i bring lens focus chart, shoot tethered with tripod to check for back/front focus

or sometimes i bring a friend along to test together
    cos when i pay few thousand bucks, my hand shaking no stop

The trend nowadays is the consumer knows what they want and what they need. So salesmen sometimes are just storemen to bring you the stock.

Just check all you want, you're the one spending the money and its just a one time thing. Agree with the rest; if you're spending thousands better make sure

i used a small led torch to check sensor when buying 2nd hand body.