Thread: equipment for propraits and model shooting

Default equipment for propraits and model shooting

Hi guys. Just like to know what are the lens u guys bring during protraits n model shooting? what mode do u guys use? AF or MF? i heard that focal length and f-ratio play a part in taking protraits and model shooting. thanks alot.

Lens can be 20mm-200mm, if u are beginner, use 50mm-100mm is very safe.
    If u shoot in studio, then u should use M mode. If u shoot outdoor, then A or M mode is ok, depends on your metering skill.
    Focal length and f-stop is subjected to your shooting requirement and what u want to achieve, not easy to explain, u would need more practise and experiment to observe the effects.

camera, model, a lot of passion and patience

since astin has explained the studio part i will try to cover the outdoor part to the best of my knowledge...

eqpt

1) Lightmeter
    2) Reflector
    3) Camera with 28-80mm lens
    4) flash tt can be used off camera with gels (for those super low light areas)

for outdoors focal length will be more obvious coz of the amt of compression of the background....

wow sound like a lot of stuff. i'm still a student. so trying to budget myself. can i just bring a SLR like my f60 with a 35mm-80mm zoom lens and a flash tt and shoot with AF mode for outdoor? what is a reflector?, what is a light meter?

What if i'm using a digital camera? I'm just newbie trying to learn the basics of photograpy. So far, I trying to take pictures using Sony P8 at the Motorshow. So pics came out quite bad. Is my digital camera that bad? Or is it just my skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Illidan
    wow sound like a lot of stuff. i'm still a student. so trying to budget myself. can i just bring a SLR like my f60 with a 35mm-80mm zoom lens and a flash tt and shoot with AF mode for outdoor? what is a reflector?, what is a light meter?

what is a reflector, what is a light meter.....
    you can shoot w/o knowing what they are..... but please, for the sake of not sounding ignorant... read up some basic photography book in your free time.

at least know what the most basic things are....

Quote Originally Posted by Illidan
    Normally, for outdoor, I try not to use flash to fill in unless there is heavy backlight. (personally preference). A SLR with 35-80mm is generally good enough for most shots.

A reflector is just a board to reflect light, can be white, gold or whichever colour, depending on the mood you want to show.

A Lightmeter is a handheld device that is used to mesure lights.

But as Zekai says, please, do read up to grasp some photography basics.

You don't need a light meter

You don't need a reflector

You don't need a flash

Your current equipment is fine.

All you NEED is what you already have, and your eyes and brain.

Learn to see light, learn to use even terrible natural lights to make dramatic statements.

I will dare say that if you develop your ability to see, you will make great portraits with the current set up you have, WITHOUT a light meter, a reflector or a flash.

I second what Zekai said

Quote Originally Posted by student
    You don't need a light meter

You don't need a reflector

You don't need a flash

Your current equipment is fine.

All you NEED is what you already have, and your eyes and brain.

Learn to see light, learn to use even terrible natural lights to make dramatic statements.

I will dare say that if you develop your ability to see, you will make great portraits with the current set up you have, WITHOUT a light meter, a reflector or a flash.

I second what Zekai said
    well said...to able to see and compose an image is a much impt aspect than equipment though better equpiment do help in a way.

I am using a fixed 90mm Elmarit for protraits. The bokeh is way too nice!