Thread: Metering

Default Metering

Hi all

Im new to photography, am using sony A77x can I ask how does the AEL button works? And how come when I turn my dial to Manual. The exposure compensation sort like become automatic and not changeable.

Will be glad to share with me

Default Re: Metering

Quote Originally Posted by Mronetwothree View Post
    Hi all

Im new to photography, am using sony A77x can I ask how does the AEL button works? And how come when I turn my dial to Manual. The exposure compensation sort like become automatic and not changeable.

Will be glad to share with me
    Have you real your manual? It's a good place to start.

1. AEL will keep the metered reading for the scene while you hold down the AEL button. You will see a "*". I prefer switching this to "toggle" in the menu, so it becomes like an on/off switch to maintain the metered reading.

2. Of course. You are in full manual. Why would the camera auto-compensate for you? What it will do is still meter the scene, then the metered target exposure will be shifted by what you selected for +-EV, then you can adjust your shutter speed/aperture/ISO till it lines up with the target.

FYI, you have a free basic DSLR course courtesy of Sony - I suggest you go for it. But please, read your manual first.
    Alpha

i'd suggest to start with "A" mode and then working your way to "M" mode. jumping straight to Manual without knowing how exposure works will definitely leave you clueless

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i'd suggest to start with "A" mode and then working your way to "M" mode. jumping straight to Manual without knowing how exposure works will definitely leave you clueless
    Yeah, good point. TS, like you said, you're new to photography - so why are you in Manual mode? Learn to walk before you run.
    Alpha

Ok la , m mode is a deep diving way to learn also but ts must be prepared to do a lot of self reading and understand the exposure triangle and the various metering modes. Have fun cheers
    Alpha and Omega

Eh starting with A mode might get ts to become lazy and stick to A. Starting with M and knowin at least the exposure triangle will allow for some trial and error, then we factor in wb and other factors when ts is more comfortable shootjng
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

it's up to the user if he/she decides to move on from Aperture Priority. in fact, i feel that things like WB and Metering should be experimented at the beginning stage so that when shooting in Manual, at least you would get comfortable with it faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkarian View Post
    Eh starting with A mode might get ts to become lazy and stick to A. Starting with M and knowin at least the exposure triangle will allow for some trial and error, then we factor in wb and other factors when ts is more comfortable shootjng
    There's nothing wrong with sticking to Av and no point using Manual for the sake if it. The pictures will only show whether the person behind the viewfinder knows how to handle exposure, be it camera supported or manually set.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Valkarian
    I do not agree starting with Av mode will make a photographer lazy and hence not learning the manual mode. In fact, if the photographer is lazy, starting at anywhere wouldn't change that fact.

Av mode in my opinion is a very good starting point because the beginner will immediately observe the affect of aperture having effect on the shutter speed. Also with DOF and also appreciate how metering comes into play.

Should the photographer turn to usage of strobe, manual mode will come into play should he or she study more into it.

Tv mode will exhibit more effects when facing fast moving subjects which is also another way to learn about the details and technicalities of photography, but I somehow feel Av mode shows more and also more intuitive.

Regardless which is chosen, Av or Tv, the idea here is to let auto metering help someone get into situation faster. It still means observation is required, just that there is an automated guide by the system to get into situation faster. To fully understand how photography works under the hood, manual is inevitable.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

AV lazy meh? I took 90% of my photos using AV mode.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

AV lazy meh? I took 90% of my photos using AV mode.
    Ditto. 90%+/- for me. I don't know why M mode equates to Macho mode nowadays. It does not in any way validate our photography prowess, really. Tsk tsk.
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 27th December 2011 at 01:28 AM.

You should do a poll and see the number of lazy people in this forum

Whichever mode you use, end of the day, u still need to understand exposure triangle, your basics, to obtain the correct exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by takafan

You should do a poll and see the number of lazy people in this forum

Whichever mode you use, end of the day, u still need to understand exposure triangle, your basics, to obtain the correct exposure.
    Lazy people won't even bother to vote

Quote Originally Posted by spree86

Lazy people won't even bother to vote
    Nor read this thread.

I'm lazy so i stick to AV mode most of the time. Seldom do i find the need to switch over to full manual.

i shoot in Manual most of the time. although some might say "show off!" but there's a reason why. i want to control how the exposure turns out especially when shooting streets.

i don't want to leave the camera to do the guesswork for me.

even when i drive, i drive a Manual Transmission car

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    i shoot in Manual most of the time. although some might say "show off!" but there's a reason why. i want to control how the exposure turns out especially when shooting streets.

i don't want to leave the camera to do the guesswork for me.

even when i drive, i drive a Manual Transmission car
    Indeed is "show off"

Blog Entries

i shoot in almost all the modes, which includes the P for Professional mode.

and i'm not kidding.

Av when i wanna watch adult videos,
    Tv when i wanna watch television
    M when i wanana makan.

jokes aside. understanding what each mode does gives different effects.
    Av lets u control over aperture, essentially when i am considering DOF and i'm on the go.
    Tv lets me control shutter speed, to either drag or freeze motion most of the time. again when i'm on the go
    P mode is when i'm unsure of the settings, so i'll fire off 1 shot in Av/Tv and swap over to P for another shot just in case.

M is when lighting conditions don't change much. when i have more time.

the first 3 is when i'm shooting with varying lighting conditions, where speed matters a lot more.