Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Kodak Premiun Picture Paper

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    somewhere near...
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Kodak Premiun Picture Paper

    Is it good?? LIke kinda expensive..
    50 sheets for $44 (A4 size)

    Anyone has review on it??

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    On my S9000, using the default colour profile on Kodak Premium Picture Paper will result in micro-pooling in dark areas, which is sometimes referred to as the "cracked mud" problem.

    Setting the media type to "High Gloss Photo Film" will help, as it causes the printer to reduce the ink flow. However, there is a heavy magenta cast if I still use the default colour profile.

    So my final solution is to download a profile specifically done for using the Kodak Premium Picture Paper on the S9000. The results have been satisfactory; micro-pooling has not been comletely eliminated, but is only noticeable when I look at the print up close, like less than 6 inches from my eyes.

    Having said all these, I am not sure if the same applies to the S600 printer, which I believed is the model you've got.

    Recently read a post on dpreview. This guy compared Canon S9000 with Canon S750 (3-colour printer), and he actually liked the S750 print better!

    Anyway, I can get Kodak Premium Picture Paper in Seattle at the price of US$24.99 for a 100-piece pack. That is about half the price you have mentioned.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    somewhere near...
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Originally posted by roygoh
    On my S9000, using the default colour profile on Kodak Premium Picture Paper will result in micro-pooling in dark areas, which is sometimes referred to as the "cracked mud" problem.

    Setting the media type to "High Gloss Photo Film" will help, as it causes the printer to reduce the ink flow. However, there is a heavy magenta cast if I still use the default colour profile.

    So my final solution is to download a profile specifically done for using the Kodak Premium Picture Paper on the S9000. The results have been satisfactory; micro-pooling has not been comletely eliminated, but is only noticeable when I look at the print up close, like less than 6 inches from my eyes.

    Having said all these, I am not sure if the same applies to the S600 printer, which I believed is the model you've got.

    Recently read a post on dpreview. This guy compared Canon S9000 with Canon S750 (3-colour printer), and he actually liked the S750 print better!

    Anyway, I can get Kodak Premium Picture Paper in Seattle at the price of US$24.99 for a 100-piece pack. That is about half the price you have mentioned.

    Wow...that's so cheap.....hah...Why not u help me get then? heh

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by siron

    Wow...that's so cheap.....hah...Why not u help me get then? heh
    Not a problem, I only charge 50% of the product's price for my serivce, excluding the shipping charges...

    Anyway, why don't you try it out first? Get a smaller quantity such as a 20-piece pack first.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    somewhere near...
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Originally posted by roygoh


    Not a problem, I only charge 50% of the product's price for my serivce, excluding the shipping charges...

    Anyway, why don't you try it out first? Get a smaller quantity such as a 20-piece pack first.
    Cuz I dun wanna buy the lesser one it's so much not worth it.
    I check it out..

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    somewhere near...
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    I bought the 50 sheets pack liao..
    REALLY GOOD QUALITY!!!!!! I mean it!

    I am using Canon S520..

    really beautiful prints!!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    397

    Default

    If I remember correctly, some of the shops in Funan selling around $39

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    somewhere near...
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Originally posted by cillin
    If I remember correctly, some of the shops in Funan selling around $39
    I bought $44.... next time I go Funan check.
    Thanks!

    siong on my ink man! i printed prints A4 size.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by siron
    I bought the 50 sheets pack liao..
    REALLY GOOD QUALITY!!!!!! I mean it!

    I am using Canon S520..

    really beautiful prints!!
    Congratulations!

    Now you have to buy more ink...
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Next question by siron, where to get cheapest ink?


    Originally posted by roygoh


    Congratulations!

    Now you have to buy more ink...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by cillin
    Next question by siron, where to get cheapest ink?




    Well, I am not sure about the proce in SIngapore. The price here if I get from Office Depot is US$11+ before tax per catridge.

    Siron, want me to buy it for you?
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  12. #12

    Default

    Originally posted by roygoh




    Well, I am not sure about the proce in SIngapore. The price here if I get from Office Depot is US$11+ before tax per catridge.

    Siron, want me to buy it for you?
    isn't singapore is s$15/cartridge for S800/820/9000? I'm assuming s520 will use the same cartridges unlike Epson where the cheaper the printer, the more expensive the ink cartridge

    btw, Canon S800 is going for $399! What a steal

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx


    isn't singapore is s$15/cartridge for S800/820/9000? I'm assuming s520 will use the same cartridges unlike Epson where the cheaper the printer, the more expensive the ink cartridge

    btw, Canon S800 is going for $399! What a steal
    Wah lau! S$15 a cartridge! I better stock up the next time I go back to Singapore. Hey Siron, why not I buy the Kodak Paper for you and you buy the catridges for me?
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  14. #14

    Default

    Originally posted by roygoh


    Wah lau! S$15 a cartridge! I better stock up the next time I go back to Singapore. Hey Siron, why not I buy the Kodak Paper for you and you buy the catridges for me?

    now you know why printer so cheap in the US, Canon makes back the money by catridge sales

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    somewhere near...
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Originally posted by roygoh


    Wah lau! S$15 a cartridge! I better stock up the next time I go back to Singapore. Hey Siron, why not I buy the Kodak Paper for you and you buy the catridges for me?
    roygoh, I dunno abt the catridge prices but I can help u see...
    buy for each other.. That can be arranged, no prob!

    Let me know.
    Good Day

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by siron


    roygoh, I dunno abt the catridge prices but I can help u see...
    buy for each other.. That can be arranged, no prob!

    Let me know.
    Good Day
    If you can help me confirm the price of the cartridges that would be great. Not need to buy for me lah. The shipping charges alone will make the deal worhless already. Please check if the prices are the same for the photo Cyan and photo Magenta catridges if you happen to come along these. They should all be the BCI-6 series.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by erwinx



    now you know why printer so cheap in the US, Canon makes back the money by catridge sales
    Yeah. That's why I am also looking at thrid party ink suppliers. From dpreview forums, seems like Weink has got pretty good responses. I might give them a try.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  18. #18
    Senior Member acidbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    4 me 2 know & 4 u 2 find out.
    Posts
    890

    Default

    How do you get the profile for the paper ? I am using an Epson Photo Stylus 810. And i am using the Photo GLossy Paper settings at 1440dpi settings. WHen i file my photos into a clear plastic sleeve, the photo kinda stick to it and there will be air bubble thus the photos will have "patches" on it, especially those night shot scenery photos, the dark sky will have a more devastating effect.

    Am i suppose to set my settings to use Epson Glossy Film paper instead ?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by acidbyte
    How do you get the profile for the paper ? I am using an Epson Photo Stylus 810. And i am using the Photo GLossy Paper settings at 1440dpi settings. WHen i file my photos into a clear plastic sleeve, the photo kinda stick to it and there will be air bubble thus the photos will have "patches" on it, especially those night shot scenery photos, the dark sky will have a more devastating effect.

    Am i suppose to set my settings to use Epson Glossy Film paper instead ?
    I initially downloaded the profile for the Kodak PPP from a website. The profiles are created by a gentleman on DPreview's Printing forum.

    Now I create my own profiles using a software called Profile Prism (www.ddisoftware.com).

    For ypur problem of the print sticking to the clear plastic sleeve, did you try letting the print dry overnight before you put them in the sleeves?

    I have no experience with Epson printers, so I cannot comment on the paper setting. My guess would be to set it to match the paper your are using.

    - Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •