Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: How do you hang your prints?

  1. #1

    Default How do you hang your prints?

    I did my own prints,
    and got them framed up.

    But i'm undecided on how to hang them.
    Btw, I'm hanging them in my home, and nailing is out of the question.
    Some sort of drilling is required....

    Would you:
    1) Just drill where you want to hang them, or
    2) Install a "curtain frame"-like bar near the ceiling and use fishing lines to hang your prints?

    I would like to do (2) but I'm not sure how to do it.. Or whether the frame will hold...
    Is there any DIY/contractors to do it?

    I'm planning to walk into a curtain shop later and ask about how long/heavy can the frame take.
    I'm sure there is a name for this, but anyone knows?

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Heard of 3m hook?
    Equipment: D7000 - 18-55 - 55-200 - 50mm 1.8d - 30L Cabinet

  4. #4
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    is this stable? as compared to the traditional way of drilling a hole then hammer and hang?

  5. #5

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    I've tried the hooks with Command strips before, but somehow the adhesive dried up after a few weeks and my clock fell off. Twice.

    On the other hand, we have used the same hook to hang our wireless router in the office without any problem. Maybe its the type of paint on the wall, or have to clean the wall before hanging.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    3M Command series as linked by Catchlights.

    Just 2 things to note.
    1. Weight. Follow the weight limit mentioned on the product. Different model of the tape has different weight limits.
    2. Does not work well on textured wall surfaces. Great on smooth wall surfaces.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    3M Command series as linked by Catchlights.

    Just 2 things to note.
    1. Weight. Follow the weight limit mentioned on the product. Different model of the tape has different weight limits.
    2. Does not work well on textured wall surfaces. Great on smooth wall surfaces.
    hmm then my hse wall cannot le... cos its rough surface. -_-"

  8. #8

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    i hang without frame LOL... just blue tack i was kinda of cheapskate...

  9. #9

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    I will try the 3M strips first..
    Chong Hwa framemakers say the frame about 1 kg. I think i will buy those 2-3kg one.
    My frame is about 14.6inx14.6in with glass... I hope it works!!!

    Thanks for the heads up catchlights!

  10. #10

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    hmm then my hse wall cannot le... cos its rough surface. -_-"
    Rough is still ok, but it depends on what kind of roughness. If yours is the typical HDB rough wall like mine because they don't paint or cement well (HDB never had good quality), then it's still ok. But if yours is a textured wall like those with a pattern of bumps or something, then it can't. Of course, to be on the safe side, make sure the hook carries a heavier load than you intend to. Shouldn't be a problem if you're using those cheap IKEA frames or doing only up to A4.

  11. #11

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    Just remember to leave the tape on first for a period of time (follow the instructions on the back) before mounting anything
    It's always very exciting to want to test, but the sticky tape really can't stand the stress so soon
    I've been burned a few times because of itchy fingers lol
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

  12. #12
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizongod View Post
    Rough is still ok, but it depends on what kind of roughness. If yours is the typical HDB rough wall like mine because they don't paint or cement well (HDB never had good quality), then it's still ok. But if yours is a textured wall like those with a pattern of bumps or something, then it can't. Of course, to be on the safe side, make sure the hook carries a heavier load than you intend to. Shouldn't be a problem if you're using those cheap IKEA frames or doing only up to A4.
    thanks for the tips!

  13. #13
    Senior Member digitalpimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Shèng Gǎng
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    Not something hung, but I'm particularly interested in something like this:








    Would look nice if the photos are sorted thematically. Say, landscape. Or street. Maybe macro. B&W, or by colour dominance, etc.
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 27th December 2011 at 01:52 AM.

  14. #14
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How do you hang your prints?

    i dun hang peektures... but i do hang puzzles that i fixed...


    i just get a nail, hantum into wall, and hang the frame over lor. its light so maybe thats why it worked

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •