Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: GX-1 compared to EP-3

Default Re: GX-1 compared to EP-3

So sorry seafood

Quote Originally Posted by seafood View Post
    Nice straps .....

Decent pic from Blackberry as well .....

But maybe you want to start another thread on GX1's accessories ........ because I really think this is OT on this thread - no offence meant here

With Oly's SCP, it is logical but involves more steps. First, press "OK". Then "Left/Right" to get to where you want. Another "OK" (second one). Then "Right/Left" to item and another "OK" (third OK).

With Q.Menu, press "Q.Menu". Then select item on screen. Then directly select item again (also 3 equivalent OKs). But definitely less of the "Left/Right" compare to Oly's SCP.

SCP is NOT customisable but Q.Menu is. And easily - just like Firefox's Menu
    Thanks bro, i think i missed out the customizing of Q.menu so I will have to look into that later (this is GF1 btw). With Oly SCP, you can do Up / Down / Left / Right to jump to the setting you want and hit ok to enter the submenu.

For Q. Menu, there is only Left / Right because the up / down traverse the cursor into the submenu. I have the top and bottom layout so going from top menu to bottom menu lags and quite hassle when it tries to display every submenus along the way. Not sure if i make sense here so that is why i find it messy.

Quote Originally Posted by rasdeep View Post
    Thanks bro, i think i missed out the customizing of Q.menu so I will have to look into that later (this is GF1 btw). With Oly SCP, you can do Up / Down / Left / Right to jump to the setting you want and hit ok to enter the submenu.

For Q. Menu, there is only Left / Right because the up / down traverse the cursor into the submenu. I have the top and bottom layout so going from top menu to bottom menu lags and quite hassle when it tries to display every submenus along the way. Not sure if i make sense here so that is why i find it messy.
    actually with the EP3 SCP, you don't need to click enter to the submenu to adjust settings. simply rotate the scroll wheel and the settings are changed. very convenient the SCP
    Last edited by ricleo; 2nd January 2012 at 07:39 PM.
    5D3|16-35L|Σ50|50L|135L|Σ150|Σ120-300S
    A7S|CV12|CV15|CV35 1.2|FE35|CV50_1.5|50 F0.95|FE55|FD85_1.2L

I've learned something new today. nice tips

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    actually with the EP3 SCP, you don't need to click enter to the submenu to adjust settings. simply rotate the scroll wheel and the settings are changed. very convenient the SCP

Quote Originally Posted by 116520 View Post
    Sorry for the poor photo image, taken by my blackberry.
    Bought from HK at LCX, I think about HKD180+... any bro know where to get similar straps in Singapore? Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR! Peace!!! =D

Nice Strap
    Pentax K-X | FA 50 F1.4 | Panasonic GX1 | 14-42mm X |

This is the "Equipment" part of Clubsnap Forums. I think this is where equipment are meant to be discussed. I also believe that in discussing and sharing, we actually learn more about our own equipment. Personally I feel it is more pointless to talk about straps, cases, bags etc because those are more fashion than equipment related (no offense meant here - just that I am more interested in the actual hardware that creates the image than the image of the hardware created by the accessories .....).

Anyway, as in any forum, whatever forum, there should be discussion. And as in any discussion, there would be opinions. And where there are opinions, there tend to be emotions and egos involved. Unless the forums are between robots. Personally, I have learned to avoid getting personal. I have tremendous respect for some people here because of their knowledge, and I do respect most people here, including yourself.

If there is actually a brand "war" going on here, then I tend to think it is between the more juvenile . I do think that quite a few of us here actually own both Panny and Oly cameras
    No offense , those who own both Panny and Oly still need to do compare ? They should know the system/cams better than us and know what they really want . I think sharing is more important since they have both cams or systems , so that ppl like me can know more and it's more good than bad

When we look at ppl on street with cams, most ppl eyes will see the cam/lens 1st, strap or bag is not the 1st thing to notice .

The cam alone wont make a pic great, it's the man behind it. Even for pros, they do pp for touch up etc.
    Last edited by beniz; 2nd January 2012 at 08:10 PM.

I think shooting raw don't really add time to my processing.

I usually just batch develop all my raw files with my favourite raw processor. That additional step just takes like 1min of my time for hundreds of raw files.

The bulk of the time taken is in photoshop digitally editing the picture. That time is not dependent on whether it was shot in raw or not.

In the earlier days, the road to great IQ passed right through the RAW way. Then, the files were smaller and the Imaging Engines of the cameras processing the OOC jpgs were still young. And I guess, I, along with many others were more enthusiastic. Imagine spending 3 minutes (and this after MUCH experimenting) a file. Without a break and any other form of interruptions (domestic or otherwise), in an hour you would be able to come out with 20 pics tops. In worst case scenarios, an hour would only produce 6 pics!

And you would still wonder if that is the best you can do. Of course this is too tedious, especially if you had to work and work does not have anything to do with digital photography! Then 2 things happened to myself. First, I looked hard in despair at the hard drives piling up, and all the RAW files waiting to be "processed". And second, I happened to start buying and using Oly cameras. Instead of processing RAW, I started to just delete the RAW files. Then I started to shoot RAW selectively. Now, I use RAW very selectively.

I did some shooting with the GX1 last night with the 25mmf1.4 around the Esplanade area. Very little noise at 1600, flash not as yellow as GF1/GH1 but under strong street lamp, still very strong yellow cast. Most of the pics are very good.

Also shot at Chinatown this morning. Colours very clean.

Got a chance to play around with the GX1 today. Here's a pic of the 45 1.8 on the GX1 for those who want to know what the pairing looks like.

In the end i decided to stick to my EP3 and not buy the GX1 to play

Got a chance to play around with the GX1 today. Here's a pic of the 45 1.8 on the GX1 for those who want to know what the pairing looks like.

[IG]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1469/p1035916c.jpg[/IMG]
    Oh man, looks damn sexy! Kudos for managing to resist the temptation

is that the original oly 45mm hood? Where to buy and how much? Sorry.. a little OT.. the lens looks very good with the hood!
    Panny GH3|EPL5|14|20|45|14-42|12-35|14-140|35-100|Metz 50 AF-1

Quote Originally Posted by Agrivar View Post
    is that the original oly 45mm hood? Where to buy and how much? Sorry.. a little OT.. the lens looks very good with the hood!
    its a JJC replacement hood. color matches the 45 exactly and fits perfectly like the original.

price ah abt 18-20 sgd.

JJC lens hood for Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm 1:1.8 Lens as LH-40B | eBay

nice...

Wow, looks cool ! Any chance to see this lens with ep3 silver body? I think it will looks cool too

Let me recite my experience of using my EP-3 verses my friends experience on GX1

Both of us have just came back from Harbin 2 days back. I bought an EP-3 just for this trip based on advice in this forum. My friend bought a GX1. He was an upgrader from Gf1.

The weather in Harbin was freezing cold...as long as -30 degree. At such cold weather, it was impoosible to remove my gloves to use the touch screen. EP3's screen being capacitive will not respond to a gloved hand. The GX-1 had no such problem since it's screen is resistive.

Autofocusing for both camera was fast under good light. Unfortuantely, I find that the EP-3 had was very much slower in focusing under dimly lited condition and many times I had misfocused shots as well. The GX1 fared significantly better, almost spot on and still pretty fast under such conditions. Sad to say, I missed several shots....e.g when I was trying to shoot a monkey up on Chang-Bai Shan. I missed the shot as the EP-3 focused too slowly. My friend got the shot with his Gx1.

We were comparing our shots yesterday, and to no suprise, the GX-1 high ISO shots had significantly less noise as compared to EP-3. Under wintry conditions less light conditions in Harbin, my high ISO slides were quit grainy comapred to my friends.

Though the Jpegs from the EP3 had punchier colours, I found to my suprise that the Gx-1 JPEGS were very good as well. My friend told me that he had said sharpness to +1 and some resoultion feature to be on as well. Occassionly he will set to vivid colour as well. To say honestly, I could hardly detect the differences between the 2 Jpegs........

Not here to cause a flame war....but even though I am a EP-3 user, I must say the GX1 is a damn good camera.....

In fact, I am now thinking of selling my EP3 and upgrade to a GX1 or the rumoured GH3

my ONLY problem with the ep3 is that its quite bad when taking pics in low light/night.

Used to own an GF1 and that had better output.

im with shength on using camera in the cold/snow and in dimly lited condition.

I know people shoot in jpeg but i really cannot imagine using the EP3 for diving as jpeg not an option (white balance) and the problem with the iso. (used GF1 for diving before and I could still take very decent pics without strobe)

>I shoot in raw.

decisions decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by shength View Post
    Let me recite my experience of using my EP-3 verses my friends experience on GX1

Both of us have just came back from Harbin 2 days back. I bought an EP-3 just for this trip based on advice in this forum. My friend bought a GX1. He was an upgrader from Gf1.

The weather in Harbin was freezing cold...as long as -30 degree. At such cold weather, it was impoosible to remove my gloves to use the touch screen. EP3's screen being capacitive will not respond to a gloved hand. The GX-1 had no such problem since it's screen is resistive.

Autofocusing for both camera was fast under good light. Unfortuantely, I find that the EP-3 had was very much slower in focusing under dimly lited condition and many times I had misfocused shots as well. The GX1 fared significantly better, almost spot on and still pretty fast under such conditions. Sad to say, I missed several shots....e.g when I was trying to shoot a monkey up on Chang-Bai Shan. I missed the shot as the EP-3 focused too slowly. My friend got the shot with his Gx1.

We were comparing our shots yesterday, and to no suprise, the GX-1 high ISO shots had significantly less noise as compared to EP-3. Under wintry conditions less light conditions in Harbin, my high ISO slides were quit grainy comapred to my friends.

Though the Jpegs from the EP3 had punchier colours, I found to my suprise that the Gx-1 JPEGS were very good as well. My friend told me that he had said sharpness to +1 and some resoultion feature to be on as well. Occassionly he will set to vivid colour as well. To say honestly, I could hardly detect the differences between the 2 Jpegs........

Not here to cause a flame war....but even though I am a EP-3 user, I must say the GX1 is a damn good camera.....

In fact, I am now thinking of selling my EP3 and upgrade to a GX1 or the rumoured GH3
    I thought I read in page 2 of this thread that the screen of EP-3 is resistive and GX-1 (like the GF-2 & 3) is capacitive ?

which is correct?

Ep3 = Capacitative screen like iphone
    Panasonic G2, GF2, GF3, G3, GH2, GX1 = resistive. i,e. you have to "press" or "tap"
    Panny GH3|EPL5|14|20|45|14-42|12-35|14-140|35-100|Metz 50 AF-1

Quote Originally Posted by Agrivar View Post
    Ep3 = Capacitative screen like iphone
    Panasonic G2, GF2, GF3, G3, GH2, GX1 = resistive. i,e. you have to "press" or "tap"
    Thanks for the info. But I take it that u can switch off the touch function n use the buttons to focus n shoot instead in cold winter where u r wearing gloves.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast