Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Creative Zen Micro

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r
    Hommie, are you trying to justify the iPod Mini's awful design? According to a poll/survey conducted by our local university (Can't name), tons of people, equal number of male and females consider the iPod mini design a huge letdown due to the curved sides, which I agree. The iPod definitely looks good, but the mini looks awful.

The micro definitely doesn't look awesome, but the mini seriously disappoints in looks. As for the shuffle? I seriously have no idea how people justify its cost because of its "design". It looks no different from a damn thumbdrive with MP3 function, and it looks like a big fishcake to me. Maybe if it had a small decent LCD screen, it would have been a better product. Also please don't talk about the "minimalist" look, because it doesn't justify the price.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Subject of beauty is a relatively personal point of view. I personally like the mini's design but micro's ain't too bad too. For shuffle, I found the minimalist look highly desirable, at the list price of $179 for 512mb bang for the buck. Pity the absent of an LCD screen and radio.

I am not going to dispute the attraction of having a mini or shuffle is great but sound, functionality and cost are always my main reason for parting my hard-earned cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Subject of beauty is a relatively personal point of view. I personally like the mini's design but micro's ain't too bad too. For shuffle, I found the minimalist look highly desirable, at the list price of $179 for 512mb bang for the buck. Pity the absent of an LCD screen and radio.

I am not going to dispute the attraction of having a mini or shuffle is great but sound, functionality and cost are always my main reason for parting my hard-earned cash.
    radio can get for less than $20 or get a phone with radio. next you will say pity lack phone capability

Okay, gimme justification for it,

Mini vs Micro
    $458 vs $449
    4GB vs 5GB
    none vs Radio
    none vs Line-In
    Better design vs so-so design
    good sound vs best sound (reviewed earlier by jUzMoO)
    Solid casing vs good casing (reviewed earlier by jUzMoO)

Let's just say that you have no need for radio, line-in recording etc but wouldn't you want an extra gigbyte of space?? Cheaper price?? Back to the basic of mp3 players, BETTER SOUND??

Or is it just about a killer design?

I am a great admirer of apple design, own a MAC(PowerPC 90mhz) over ten
    years ago due to my profession at the time(graphic artist). Arden die hard of mac that time, I switched one year later. Why? Simple, I could do in PC as in Mac the faction of the price. I wish all PC was design like a Mac, simple, elegant, killer looks, but push comes to shove, I value rational functionality and cost over killer looks anytime. As a designer/marketeer, you would think that I'll go with the Mini or Shuffle(Amazing piece of designer gadget), I rather get the one with content.
    ok lets add to the list

ipod mini vs zen
    supports aac (open standard) vs wma (ms proprietary)
    scroll wheel vs not as easy to use touch pad
    firewire & usb vs usb only
    supports mac & pc officially vs pc only
    works with itunes vs um.....
    3 games vs um....
    20 eq settings vs 8 eq settings

whether one needs the additional features like 3 games or 20 eq settings is a matter of preference. just like the radio and built in voice recording. that i will give to you.

since you mentioned the additional 1gb space, let me add that the ipod costs about $100 more than the micro and comes with 15 gb more space.

better sound is subjective. i have seen an equal number of reviews saying that mini or micro sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by donkuok
    watever you said, ipod is going to be outbeat soon
    Hmm with Apple's ipod at 40% market share..

and Creative currently at ard 15%.... (They are aiming for 40% though..)

I dont think there is a chance that Creative is gonna to outbeat Apple.
    Its not Maths, where each MCQ u answer correctly gets u 2% of the score

2% gain in Market share is like hundreds of thousands of players sold.

Creative's player like a poor man's ipod, if u only need functionality and price, go for Zen micro.

If u need something better in design, looks, user interface, accessories support..etc ipod is stronger.

Its precisely due to the strong 40% market share of Apple's iPod that makers of stylish iPoD covers, External speakers (ALtec Lansing speakers dock for iPod), car kits ...etc make accessories for the ipod.

Btw, Creative's zen design....is soo...yucks.
    The only reason I have a Creative Nomad MuVo....is that...its a Starhub free gift.

The controls on it is so horribly small and hard to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    ok lets add to the list

ipod mini vs zen
    supports aac (open standard) vs wma (ms proprietary)
    scroll wheel vs not as easy to use touch pad
    firewire & usb vs usb only
    supports mac & pc officially vs pc only
    works with itunes vs um.....
    3 games vs um....
    20 eq settings vs 8 eq settings

whether one needs the additional features like 3 games or 20 eq settings is a matter of preference. just like the radio and built in voice recording. that i will give to you.

since you mentioned the additional 1gb space, let me add that the ipod costs about $100 more than the micro and comes with 15 gb more space.

better sound is subjective. i have seen an equal number of reviews saying that mini or micro sound better.
    Let me correct you:

ipod mini vs zen
    supports aac (open standard) vs wma (ms proprietary)--true
    scroll wheel vs not as easy to use touch pad--as mentioned in better design
    firewire & usb vs usb only--true
    supports mac & pc officially vs pc only--fat32 can be recognise on Mac too
    works with itunes vs um..... -- Music Jukebox
    3 games vs um....-- true
    20 eq settings vs 8 eq settings--true

8hrs batt life vs 12hrs batt
    non-removable batt vs removable batt
    no remote vs free remote

Since you mention iPOD, you can have Zen touch(20gig) for less than additional $50 of mini.

I know sound is subjective, that's why I have taken reviewed earlier by jUzMoO who have listen to both. Me too but I don't think you would have believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Hmm with Apple's ipod at 40% market share..

and Creative currently at ard 15%.... (They are aiming for 40% though..)

I dont think there is a chance that Creative is gonna to outbeat Apple.
    Its not Maths, where each MCQ u answer correctly gets u 2% of the score

2% gain in Market share is like hundreds of thousands of players sold.

Creative's player like a poor man's ipod, if u only need functionality and price, go for Zen micro.

If u need something better in design, looks, user interface, accessories support..etc ipod is stronger.

Its precisely due to the strong 40% market share of Apple's iPod that makers of stylish iPoD covers, External speakers (ALtec Lansing speakers dock for iPod), car kits ...etc make accessories for the ipod.

Btw, Creative's zen design....is soo...yucks.
    The only reason I have a Creative Nomad MuVo....is that...its a Starhub free gift.

The controls on it is so horribly small and hard to navigate.
    True, just like Microsoft got the market cornered against Apple, 80% to less than 10%. Its unlikely that Apple will ever climb beyond 15% of the PC market.

It is true that ipod mini have the better design but unless apple gonna give more features to the future ipod(like Photo iPOD), I doubt that the market gonna rise any further than it is now based on design. Especially from the onslaught of Creative's marketing.

Since you dislike of the Muvo, care to sell?? Gimme a price to consider.

radio can get for less than $20 or get a phone with radio. next you will say pity lack phone capability
    Of course, I'll get it for free when I get Micro which is even better!
    Phone capability is for another topic, another thread.

Let me correct you:
    supports mac & pc officially vs pc only--fat32 can be recognise on Mac too
    works with itunes vs um..... -- Music Jukebox
    thats why i say officially
    btw...music jukebox? um....

8hrs batt life vs 12hrs batt
    non-removable batt vs removable batt
    no remote vs free remote
    true about the battery. but has anyone got the full 12hrs from the zen. someone mentioned earlier that he only got 8-9hrs...on the other hand a few of us have personally confirm the mini can last 8hrs.

Since you mention iPOD, you can have Zen touch(20gig) for less than additional $50 of mini.
    ok..i'll give you that much cos that will spark off an ipod vs zen touch debate

I know sound is subjective, that's why I have taken reviewed earlier by jUzMoO who have listen to both. Me too but I don't think you would have believe me.
    why would i not believe you? what you say is true also but we only have different opinions on functionality.
    Last edited by madmacs; 23rd January 2005 at 09:59 PM.

thats why i say officially
    btw...music jukebox? um....

true about the battery. but has anyone got the full 12hrs from the zen. someone mentioned earlier that he only got 8-9hrs...on the other hand a few of us have personally confirm the mini can last 8hrs.

ok..i'll give you that much cos that will spark off an ipod vs zen touch debate

why would i not believe you? what you say is true also but we only have different opinions on functionality.
    Its officially recognised as a hardisk, apple took couple of years before they release the PC version of the iTunes but I doubt Creative would ever release a mac version of its software due to the small market.

That someone(juzmoo) mentioned that he hasn't been able to deliberately use the Micro to beyond 12hr continuously for testing, that do not mean that its only 8-9hrs. If you can visit the Cnet Singapore, the review mentioned that the batt life is 11hrs.

Had you have listen to the micro, perhaps you would have tell me that the sound is superior, after all Creative is the in the sound card business.

Any others you like to dispute? Removable Batt? Free remote? Or perhaps you like to say you have no need for such as you mentioned radio and line-in capability? Cheaper price and extra gig? "I have loads of money and don't mind paying for a less functioned but a better designed gadget?"

I thinks most of us are suckers for design like what Adam Goi mentioned but I thinks that many would rather not admit to that. I hope that no harm was done
    Last edited by Hommie; 23rd January 2005 at 11:24 PM.

Had you have listen to the micro, perhaps you would have tell me that the sound is superior, after all Creative is the in the sound card business.
    i will if creative releases something worth buying

Any others you like to dispute? Removable Batt? Free remote? Or perhaps you like to say you have no need for such as you mentioned radio and line-in capability? Cheaper price and extra gig? "I have loads of money and don't mind paying for a less functioned but a better designed gadget?"
    i did not dispute anything about the battery or remote. in fact i stated what you said is true. but i have no need for the radio or line-in so i dont consider that as part of functionality. that is why i say we have different opinions. i suppose you are going to dispute my my differing opinion as well?

i will if creative releases something worth buying

i did not dispute anything about the battery or remote. in fact i stated what you said is true. but i have no need for the radio or line-in so i dont consider that as part of functionality. that is why i say we have different opinions. i suppose you are going to dispute my my differing opinion as well?

Micro is worth buying

You have not commented on the price difference, the extra gig, removable and life of batt only on those you have no interest in, like radio and line-in.... That's why I felt you have been selective in the goods of micro

All this extra functionalities have far exceed the mini's features for features comparsion save for a few issues like ease of use on scroll wheel, firewire etc. Micro have won by major advantage like price, storage, batt life and sound(disputed). All this does not make a difference on you. Tell me a rational reason mini is better by far or just tell me that you are a sucker for design, I'll understand.....

This is the age of reason.....
    Last edited by Hommie; 24th January 2005 at 01:09 AM.

Micro is worth buying

You have not commented on the price difference, the extra gig, removable and life of batt only on those you have no interest in, like radio and line-in.... That's why I felt you have been selective in the goods of micro

All this extra functionalities have far exceed the mini's features for features comparsion save for a few issues like ease of use on scroll wheel, firewire etc. Micro have won by major advantage like price, storage, batt life and sound(disputed). All this does not make a difference on you. Tell me a rational reason mini is better by far or just tell me that you are a sucker for design, I'll understand.....

price difference? iirc the micro was priced higher previously. they dropped the price to $449 a few months back. maybe cos it wasnt selling as well as the mini?

extra 1 gig. yes nice to have. but if i really needed more space wouldnt it make more sense to get an ipod with so many more gigs?

removable battery i already gave that to you. what else you expect me to say. "i buy zen micro because of a removable battery?" oh please...

and so what if the mini's batter is rated to last 8 hours? at least a number of people have confirmed that it lasts 8 hours if not more. you yourself mentioned the zen micro battery lasts 11 hours - instead of the stated 12. in any case i have a habit of charging my ipod every night even though i use it an average of 3 hours a day, and its just so i dont have to remember what days i need to charge it. just drop in in the dock when i get home.

i can tell you the main reasons why i use an ipod. i use a mac and ipods work with the mac and itunes. you mentioned musicmatch jukebox. i used that long before itunes came along and i can tell you its nowhere near itunes. the other reason is the scrollwheel. it just makes it so easy to navigate thru all the music and menus. in comparison the zen touch pad is just plain unusable to me. of course you would disagree because your beloved zen doesnt have one

i'm always open to creative products but they have yet to come out with a device worth parting my money for. i dont see why i need to justify my reasons for preferring an ipod to you of all people. unless of course you are funding my purchase

Micro is worth buying

besides..why does it irk you so much that i think the mini is more functional than a micro? thats my view. you are of course entitled to your views. you are not swh in disguise i hope

besides..why does it irk you so much that i think the mini is more functional than a micro? thats my view. you are of course entitled to your views. you are not swh in disguise i hope
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r
    What?
    I think madmacs meant that iPod Mini is easier to use than Creative Zen Micro, which is true I guess, 'cause Mini has far less features and functionalities, so easier to use too. And of course iPod's menu system is far superior to Creative Zens'.

I'd like to have a Zen Micro, if it's as cool looking as an iPod Mini For me, I've got sucked into iPod's cool looking, got a 4G iPod for its cool/wow factor. My iRiver sounds much better (at least to my ears), but I still carry the iPod everyday

OT sorry - Mac or PC i don't really care... I'll use which ever gets the job done fast & well. I'll get ipod shuffle any time ...small, light & nice design...doesn't really add much weight to my already 12 kg bag

Erm... it seems that many people still think that the mini or even the iPod itself has far less 'functionality' than a Zen Micro or Zen Touch.

Let's see what do I have on my iPod 20GB...

- Sleeker form factor
    - Hundreds and hundreds of 3rd party accessories made by both reputable peripherial manufacturers as well as 'fly-by-night' manufacturers
    - Instant HDD storage functionality without the need for drivers on my Mac
    - Instant connectivity with my Mac
    - One word: iSync
    - Did I mention Photo Storage Bank as well?
    - Leather casings, Sock casings, Sillicon Casings, casings and choices galore
    - Cult appeal (ok, to hell with the 'Cult' thing. That's what most skeptics came up with)
    - Because it simply... WORKS. Plain and simple.
    - Navigation? I dunch even need to read the instruction manual. Even my 5yr old niece can navigate her way around to play games.
    - Radio? What's dat? Can eat or not?

I think save for the FM Radio (I'm not sure what's it with ppl who buy MP3 players to listen to radio with all those new fangled head-banging music). I believe I can find another 150 reasons to crush the Zen Micro into a Zen Miniscular or a Zen Nanodot.

The thing about sound... whilst we don't talk about huge differences like 96kbps and 320kbps birate sound, I believe most of us, sitting on a noisy bus/MRT can't differentiate between 128 and 160 birate encoded MP3s. Not everyone of us are blessed with the legendary 'Golden Ears' to be able to capture the entire spectrum in the soundwave. 20Hz - 20kHz.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Erm... it seems that many people still think that the mini or even the iPod itself has far less 'functionality' than a Zen Micro or Zen Touch.

Let's see what do I have on my iPod 20GB...

- Sleeker form factor
    - Hundreds and hundreds of 3rd party accessories made by both reputable peripherial manufacturers as well as 'fly-by-night' manufacturers
    - Instant HDD storage functionality without the need for drivers on my Mac
    - Instant connectivity with my Mac
    - One word: iSync
    - Did I mention Photo Storage Bank as well?
    - Leather casings, Sock casings, Sillicon Casings, casings and choices galore
    - Cult appeal (ok, to hell with the 'Cult' thing. That's what most skeptics came up with)
    - Because it simply... WORKS. Plain and simple.
    - Navigation? I dunch even need to read the instruction manual. Even my 5yr old niece can navigate her way around to play games.
    - Radio? What's dat? Can eat or not?

I think save for the FM Radio (I'm not sure what's it with ppl who buy MP3 players to listen to radio with all those new fangled head-banging music). I believe I can find another 150 reasons to crush the Zen Micro into a Zen Miniscular or a Zen Nanodot.

The thing about sound... whilst we don't talk about huge differences like 96kbps and 320kbps birate sound, I believe most of us, sitting on a noisy bus/MRT can't differentiate between 128 and 160 birate encoded MP3s. Not everyone of us are blessed with the legendary 'Golden Ears' to be able to capture the entire spectrum in the soundwave. 20Hz - 20kHz.
    wow wow...take it easy... its just a device playing mp3 music & files storage... i'll buy 1 anytime when there's extra cash to spare

Everyone wants to feel good about the product that they've purchased so lets respect that. While its good to share about product features or different models/brands, let's keep it as that & not escalate it into a brand bashing fight.

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei
    I think madmacs meant that iPod Mini is easier to use than Creative Zen Micro, which is true I guess, 'cause Mini has far less features and functionalities, so easier to use too. And of course iPod's menu system is far superior to Creative Zens'.

I'd like to have a Zen Micro, if it's as cool looking as an iPod Mini For me, I've got sucked into iPod's cool looking, got a 4G iPod for its cool/wow factor. My iRiver sounds much better (at least to my ears), but I still carry the iPod everyday
    actually i meant that to me mini is more functional cos it works with my mac and itunes. and this outweighs the other functions like radio and line in recording that i dont need. of course to pc users maybe the zen has more functions.
    Last edited by madmacs; 24th January 2005 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    to add to that. when people say micro sounds better than mini or vice versa, how much difference are we talking about? the mini sounds pretty good already and if one really wanted much better sound, maybe a cd player or md player might be a better choice. anyway for those with really golden ears, i think nothing less than a $60k hifi set will do.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast