Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: the cup - comments/critique pls

  1. #1

    Default the cup - comments/critique pls

    1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    composition,sharpness and bokeh

    2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    hoping to achieve a bokeh shot

    3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    night indoor shoot

    4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    its my first pic posting. pic was taken wif a md minolta 50mm
    comments/critiques are most welcome. i hope to learn

    Last edited by Sgysfj; 22nd December 2011 at 09:49 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,302

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Lemme help you and your cup

    So, here we have a cup we can buy for a couple of bucks at many shops. What makes this cup and the picture special? To me, it's nothing. Not even the entire cup is in focus, some colour patches and a blur line form the background. Subject is smacked in the center, slightly slanted. Landscape orientation for an object standing upright ..
    Two main questions come up: Why this cup? Why this way? You write you want to achieve a bokeh shot .. is this latest fashion here? Bokeh is the quality of the out of focus area, defined by lens characteristics. But here you shoot just for the sake of it, neglecting the basics of any decent image composition. That's like putting perfectly creamy whipping cream on a cup of lousy, thin and cold coffee (to stay on the subject).
    Selective Out of Focus is one way of subject isolation, which is one of the basic ideas of composition: emphasize the subject. But that requires a subject worth shooting. I can't see it in this $2 cup.
    Last edited by Octarine; 22nd December 2011 at 01:06 PM.
    EOS

  3. #3

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Thanks for ur comments n tips...tis is my first attempt tkg a bokeh... Thks again

  4. #4

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    i think this picture doesn't have meaning to it for me. IMO . and the cup is not totally in focus.

    no offence but just saying .

  5. #5

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Quote Originally Posted by AndersPhotography View Post
    i think this picture doesn't have meaning to it for me. IMO . and the cup is not totally in focus.

    no offence but just saying .
    Im new to photography.. Thanks for yr inputs.. I m learning

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,302

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgysfj View Post
    Thanks for ur comments n tips...tis is my first attempt tkg a bokeh... Thks again
    Be your sharpest critic. Only once you are 100% sure that your picture is good then ask for further input. If you are not sure it's best to analyze why and make it better.
    EOS

  7. #7

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Be your sharpest critic. Only once you are 100% sure that your picture is good then ask for further input. If you are not sure it's best to analyze why and make it better.
    Thks.. Will try to read up more

  8. #8

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Have fun shooting

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    I feel that the use of bokeh is wrong. Bokeh for such a scenario is to blur out the background so that the attention is on the cup. However in this picture, the bokeh balls is drawing my attention away from the cup (direct opposite) because of its bright colors all concentrated in 1 location. It is clear that the intention of the picture is to create bokeh rather than capture the cup.

    my suggestion is to practice outdoors rather than indoors and read up on "depth of field". Just my 2 cents hope its helps =)

  10. #10
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,302

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Quote Originally Posted by WhitePaper View Post
    Bokeh for such a scenario is to blur out the background so that the attention is on the cup.
    Wrong. A blur background is not and does not equal to bokeh.
    Bokeh is the quality / pleasing effect of the blur background. It's mainly defined by the characteristics of the lens but also by objects (colours, shape, pattern etc.) in the background. Just throwing things off focus does not create necessarily bokeh, only blurriness.
    EOS

  11. #11

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    thank you everyone for your kind comments/critique.....

  12. #12

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    The pic looks noisy too. Maybe try to read up on the basics of photography!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

  13. #13

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    You certainly achieved a bokeh. This is easily done with any camera.

    The focusing point is on the heart and anything beyond the heart had lost its sharpness. I wouldn't even call this pic "The Cup"

    You have lots to work on composition & the basics. No offence....

  14. #14

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Quote Originally Posted by spydernic View Post
    You certainly achieved a bokeh. This is easily done with any camera.

    The focusing point is on the heart and anything beyond the heart had lost its sharpness. I wouldn't even call this pic "The Cup"

    You have lots to work on composition & the basics. No offence....
    Thanks for ur comments.. I will learn n adjust

  15. #15

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Instead of taking the cup in the middle, how about try taking it the left side or the right side?
    Could be interesting angle to focus more on the bokeh, rather than the cup itself.

  16. #16

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Be your sharpest critic. Only once you are 100% sure that your picture is good then ask for further input. If you are not sure it's best to analyze why and make it better.
    To be fair to Sgysfj. This must be good in his/her eyes. If we can be that 100% sure than why put up for critic? The problem is many time we don't really know how to analyze and make it better. How good is good? how sharp is sharp? what is consider a good bokeh? We can't really see our self, we need feedback. MHO

  17. #17

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Wrong. A blur background is not and does not equal to bokeh.
    Bokeh is the quality / pleasing effect of the blur background. It's mainly defined by the characteristics of the lens but also by objects (colours, shape, pattern etc.) in the background. Just throwing things off focus does not create necessarily bokeh, only blurriness.
    Octarine, this is a better and more constructive feedback

  18. #18

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    Thanks guyss... Appreciate ur comments...
    Will learn n apply��

  19. #19

    Default Re: the cup - comments/critique pls

    I don't get it. Seems like a random test shot. Distracting background, blown-out reflections, out of focus, careless placement? (the heart is not symmetrical), not to mention the big oval spot to the right. Is the subject of the picture the cup or the bokeh? If it's the cup, you can read up on product photography and see how they do it. Not exactly a straightforward process to get it right.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •