Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 1st Concert Shoot--Advice Requested.

  1. #1

    Default 1st Concert Shoot--Advice Requested.

    I plan to shoot a concert where my kid will be performing this weekend. It is in an enclosed school concert hall and I'm possibly 20-30m away from the stage (which will be brightly lit).
    I plan to to use either the Nikon 8800 or the Canon 20D.

    Should i decide to lug the 20D, may i ask whether the 70-300 DO lens can make it? Or do I need to lug the bigger 70-200 IS lens?
    I will be shooting without flash since I am also the "caddy"--carrying many other stuff for the performer (my kid).

    It is also probable that I use the Nikon 8800 since i can also shoot video with it. In this case do you think i can also make it wihout the flash (for photo's)?

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluz
    I plan to shoot a concert where my kid will be performing this weekend. It is in an enclosed school concert hall and I'm possibly 20-30m away from the stage (which will be brightly lit).
    I plan to to use either the Nikon 8800 or the Canon 20D.

    Should i decide to lug the 20D, may i ask whether the 70-300 DO lens can make it? Or do I need to lug the bigger 70-200 IS lens?
    I will be shooting without flash since I am also the "caddy"--carrying many other stuff for the performer (my kid).

    It is also probable that I use the Nikon 8800 since i can also shoot video with it. In this case do you think i can also make it wihout the flash (for photo's)?

    Many thanks in advance.
    IMHO, enjoy the show or shoot video. Get your kid to post with some classmate before/after the show. If not, 1st time sure stressful and not able to enjoy or picture turn out not nice (wasted effort for such a important occasion.)

  3. #3
    Deregistered satan_18349's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    hell 極樂世&
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Personally i felt you should bring your 8800 (for video) too esp after you have edited and view on TV/PC....you WON'T regret...don't have to shoot in full size TV mode cos can only record for a minute...try the 320 x 240...14mins is good enough...you can resize in adobe premiere later.. (although not that clear but nevertheless good enough)


    i still have a good time watching my little nephew performance in nursary despite thirty over times!! Always makes my day...

  4. #4
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    24,053
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Use a Video Cam for video, put it on a tripod and leave it there.
    And then use the DSLR with a fast lens to shoot without flash.

  5. #5

    Default

    Thank you all for your advice. (I didn't think the day will come when i thank Satan ha ha.)
    Will take up Snowcrash's advice and enjoy the show instead of shooting. I think the school would engage professional photographers and cameraman--so photos and DVD's could be available later on.
    Will bring along the 8800 in case fingers get itchy...
    Have a nice day all.

  6. #6

    Default

    Why not enjoy the show, buy the photographs outside and get a copy of the VCD/DVD as well? :P

    btw, which CDC/Kindergarten is your child in?

  7. #7
    Deregistered satan_18349's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    hell 極樂世&
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Haaaaa....have fun tomorrow...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    www.whltelightphotographer.com
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    It is best to have lens that F2.8 or bigger. Standard lens or standard zoom with a big aperture (F2.8 or below) is good that is provided that you can go close. Otherwise it is a 70-200mm with a F2.8 aperture. Flash is not a option most concert will not allow flash photography.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaeSiuM
    Why not enjoy the show, buy the photographs outside and get a copy of the VCD/DVD as well? :P

    btw, which CDC/Kindergarten is your child in?
    i did just that--sat back and enjoyed the show. Photos and DVD will be available soon. My kid is in a private preschool.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    It is best to have lens that F2.8 or bigger. Standard lens or standard zoom with a big aperture (F2.8 or below) is good that is provided that you can go close. Otherwise it is a 70-200mm with a F2.8 aperture. Flash is not a option most concert will not allow flash photography.
    The 20D + F2.8 70-200 IS was a bit too bulky for me to carry around given my baggage. The std lens too short from where i was seated. Actually the 8800 worked pretty well for the few shots that i took. Thx.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •