Thread: recommendation : camera for underwater

Default recommendation : camera for underwater

any recommendation which camera is good for diving?

which to get? Canon S40, Oly 4040 or Oly C40? how is Sony?

anyone has an sample pictures?

thank you so much.

I think you can't go wrong with any of these. I've seen pictures taken with all mentioned and they turned out great.

But I'd just like to add some points:

- Sony memory sticks are the most expensive media of the lot

- Smartmedia is being phased out (Olympus uses them)

- Olympus housing costs about $290. Pls check Canon & Sony (I think Sony is again the most expensive)

- Olympus housing comes with Flash diffuser & Neutral buoyancy weight attachments

- Olympus uses standard AA batteries

- Olympus housing accept wide and macro lenses from Sea & Sea, Inon, Ikellite and Olympus

- With Olympus, you have a choice of a few housings ranging in price - Olympus(cheapest), Ikellite, Tetra

I have personally used the C3030 with the PT005 housing and have now switched to the C40 with the PT-012 housing.

Both served me well. Here are some of the photos taken in April & May 2002 at Pulau Aur.

Lionfish

Morray Eel

Another Morray Eel

continuation...

The following pictures are taken by my friend using the C3030 with the PT005 housing.

Shrimp

This is me with my camera - see how small it is.

Gobies

Our DM on that day was using a Sony. I don't have his pictures but on land they look great as well.

I believe your choice of camera will be used 95% topside and 5% underwater. So do evaluate the camera for its topside capabilities as well.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy the underwater world.

Cheers.

wow...

just wonder.. what if the casing leak?

then camera is soak.. could it be cover until warranty?

then you can go demand compensation/ replacement from
    the manufacturer of the casing

make noise till they give?

but hopefully, all will go as it should & your camera
    will be protected by the casing

If you maintain your o-ring properly and take the usual precautions, it should not flood at all.

Reagarding warranty - heard from others: They will not repair/replace if camera is flooded. Neither will the casing manufacturer be liable.

The following link is the instructions for the Olympus range of housings. General care & precaution tips should apply to any underwater housing.

http://www.marscuba.com/instructions.html

Originally posted by pit
    If you maintain your o-ring properly and take the usual precautions, it should not flood at all.

Reagarding warranty - heard from others: They will not repair/replace if camera is flooded. Neither will the casing manufacturer be liable.
    what I heard is if you use underwater houseing made by the manufacturer of the camera, the camera will not be covered under warranty. same thing if you drop your camera in water or use your camera in the rain without any cover.

some third party housing do cover your camera's warranty I heard.