Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon 35mm f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare0905
    I tried to find the 35mm f1.8 last week at SLR,TK,Cathy,Orient and all told me OOS because of the flood in Thai.
    If you happen to be in Hong Kong, there are plenty over there.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Default Re: Nikon 35mm f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    I saw plenty at camera workshop peninsular. Give it a try.
    Isit? I will go take a look since it's near my office. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    If you happen to be in Hong Kong, there are plenty over there.
    Haha, i'm still waiting for someone to go HK to help me bring back the Tokina 11-16.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye

I saw plenty at camera workshop peninsular. Give it a try.
    People trying to sell off their 35mm thru them?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc

People trying to sell off their 35mm thru them?
    I saw mint boxes taken out of carton box after (likely) a delivery. Unlikely it's resale. I'm talking abt 5 to 8 boxes taken out from a carton box, not one or two loose items lying ard.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Thought the 35/1.8 AFS is made in China, how would the flood in Thailand cause OOS situation? Clearly BS.

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive
    Thought the 35/1.8 AFS is made in China, how would the flood in Thailand cause OOS situation? Clearly BS.
    Just because an item is manufactured in 1 location doesn't necessarily mean it is stored there for direct shipment to distributors, or that ALL components are made there.
    Exploring! :)

Clearly it may not be the case, but if one manufactures in China the logical thing to do is to source parts close to that base. There's only 1 possibility - if the AFS motor is made in Thailand. Unlikely. More like Nikon's distribution and mfg schedule did not put many pieces for Singapore.

Darn, and I was seriously considering getting one after trying it out on my D700

Vignetting is minor at close focus distances and it is reduced even further by Lightroom. Nice results for such a cheap lens.

Clearly it may not be the case, but if one manufactures in China the logical thing to do is to source parts close to that base. There's only 1 possibility - if the AFS motor is made in Thailand. Unlikely. More like Nikon's distribution and mfg schedule did not put many pieces for Singapore.
    Only 1 possibility?
    I can't claim to know Nikon's company structure and production flow, but I do know for a fact that many companies have a few manufacturing plants (in different countries no less) and often only 1 or 2 centralized warehousing for finished products. That is JUST ONE of the many possible reasons to explain M.I.C (what does the term really imply anyway? Everything made in China?) lens affected by floods in Thailand.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 5th January 2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Only 1 possibility?
    I can't claim to know Nikon's company structure and production flow, but I do know for a fact that many companies have a few manufacturing plants (in different countries no less) and often only 1 or 2 centralized warehousing for finished products. That is JUST ONE of the many possible reasons to explain M.I.C (what does the term really imply anyway? Everything made in China?) lens affected by floods in Thailand.
    Ha ha ha... How does that work? MIC then ship to store in Thailand? Goodness gracious me! In the middle of their production facility in Thailand no less. I think we should stop this silly bickering and get back to photography. Silly bickering.

Yes yes, the lenses are MIC then shipped to Thailand and they got flooded out in the Nikon factory there. And SLR,TK,Cathy,Orient were all telling the truth about why it is OOS.

Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post
    Darn, and I was seriously considering getting one after trying it out on my D700

Vignetting is minor at close focus distances and it is reduced even further by Lightroom. Nice results for such a cheap lens.
    Yes I like this shot. Really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    Ha ha ha... How does that work? MIC then ship to store in Thailand? Goodness gracious me! In the middle of their production facility in Thailand no less. I think we should stop this silly bickering and get back to photography. Silly bickering.

Yes yes, the lenses are MIC then shipped to Thailand and they got flooded out in the Nikon factory there. And SLR,TK,Cathy,Orient were all telling the truth about why it is OOS.
    Yes yes totally deviated from original posts
    Well I'm not saying that they're definitely being stocked in Thailand before being shipped to our region, hence being affected by floods. All I'm saying is that it is possible, therefore should not be too quick to call out the local shops as being dishonest about the situation.

ok that's it for this topic. Cheers!

DX 35m/1.8G is indeed a very capable lens for its price. Still can live with the 5mm 'handicap' compared with sigma 30/1.4, and it does decently-well on FX

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Yes yes totally deviated from original posts
    ... should not be too quick to call out the local shops as being dishonest about the situation...

ok that's it for this topic. Cheers!

DX 35m/1.8G is indeed a very capable lens for its price. Still can live with the 5mm 'handicap' compared with sigma 30/1.4, and it does decently-well on FX
    They are not being dishonest about the situation, they are being ignorant about the situation and give whatever reason they can cook up. Not dishonest, just plain giving whatever excuses they can. The 35mm f/1.8 has always been in short supply. I waited a few months to get mine, and then they went OOS again. The current OOS situation is not different from back then.

And yes I agree it is a very good lens. I have not compared it directly against the 35/2, which I also have, but subjective feel is that it is slightly sharper. Bought the 1.8 due to my using D60 (and now D5000) as my second camera.

My faith in Sigma had always been low, having only plunged once into the fray (with the 10-20mm, which turned out to be a good lens). Anyhow, I am biased, I will not pay for third party lens at higher than Nikkor price, so no Sigma 50/1.4 or 30/1.4 for me. And with the peeling paint and the focus issues, all the more I steered clear of these lenses. For the record, I also have the 50/1.4, both the AFD and AFS. My AFD is a (rare) MIJ version.
    Last edited by diediealsomustdive; 7th January 2012 at 11:19 AM.

They are not being dishonest about the situation, they are being ignorant about the situation and give whatever reason they can cook up. Not dishonest, just plain giving whatever excuses they can. The 35mm f/1.8 has always been in short supply. I waited a few months to get mine, and then they went OOS again. The current OOS situation is not different from back then.

And yes I agree it is a very good lens. I have not compared it directly against the 35/2, which I also have, but subjective feel is that it is slightly sharper. Bought the 1.8 due to my using D60 (and now D5000) as my second camera.

My faith in Sigma had always been low, having only plunge once into the fray (with the 10-20mm, which turned out to be a good lens). Anyhow, I am biased, I will not pay for third party lens at higher than Nikkor price, so no Sigma 50/1.4 or 30/1.4 for me. And with the peeling paint and the focus issues, all the more I steered clear of these lenses. For the record, I also have the 50/1.4, both the AFD and AFS. My AFD is a (rare) MIJ version.
    Why would sigma 50 F/1.4 HSM be more ex than Nikon 50 F/1.4 AF-S?
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

At least the difference is small. I am biased, remember?
    Last edited by diediealsomustdive; 7th January 2012 at 11:18 AM.

If I have the Tamron 17-50 & 50mm 1.8 is it still worth to get either sigma 1.4 or 35mm 1.8? I find 50mm a bit tight at times on crop body and Tamron do not quite perform on low light. Thanks for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by gnesgnoy
    If I have the Tamron 17-50 & 50mm 1.8 is it still worth to get either sigma 1.4 or 35mm 1.8? I find 50mm a bit tight at times on crop body and Tamron do not quite perform on low light. Thanks for answering.
    Imho, u getting all the ranges which is cover by ur tamron, only issues, its a f/2.8.

Is ur 50mm afs or afd? If afd, retain it. Else afs, u might wanna reconsider selling it to fund afs 35mm f/1.8g.

Tamron a good walk around lens, considering u need 17mm.
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gnesgnoy View Post
    For me i combo tamron 17-50 with nikon 35mm
    Lousy de My Flickr

Thank you for all yr replies. I think so also with Tamron 2.8 which should be sufficient. Even at 1.8 DOF is rather thin. My 50mm is a AFD. The trouble is this forum is poisonous after reading it the bbb virus bites again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gnesgnoy
    Thank you for all yr replies. I think so also with Tamron 2.8 which should be sufficient. Even at 1.8 DOF is rather thin. My 50mm is a AFD. The trouble is this forum is poisonous after reading it the bbb virus bites again.
    Instill anti virus haha
    Lousy de My Flickr

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast