Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: helpppppppppppppppppp

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    madmacs It's more accurate than you think
    i dont doubt its accuracy lah. i meant that if you use av mode, you may end up with super slow shutter speeds ie. below 1/20s. unless you are using super high iso which will then introduce noise.

  2. #22

    Default

    Here's my 5 cents advise:

    1. Remember to use the colour Gel that came with your SB-800. Hotel ballroom usually incandescent.

    2. Get a SB-8A if not I think you will have a hard time. Or at least use the 5th battery compartment.

    3. RAW or JPEG? Doesn't matter once you've got your test shot's white balance correctly set. I don't think there will be flourescent in ballroom. So your test shot is vital.

    i) You need to do a test shot during reception
    ii) one during the 'cut cake',
    iii) one for the table photos and that's about it.

    4. The SB-800 should be powerful enough with the built-in little white bounce card. However, a bigger one is always a bonus.

    The ONE single REAL problem will be... Sharpness. The D70 with the kit lense have somewhate retarded focus. Out of 10 pictures I took, 4 have focus problems, either back focus or completely blur. Dunno is it me or the lense.

    Your photo can have wrong white balance, slightly over exposed or under exposed but the couple will still happily thank you as layman just can't really tell what's wrong with the photos. BUT a photo which is blur is disaster!

    So make sure you take at least two photos at each table, just in case one turn out blur.

  3. #23
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    i dont doubt its accuracy lah. i meant that if you use av mode, you may end up with super slow shutter speeds ie. below 1/20s. unless you are using super high iso which will then introduce noise.
    Well if using the SB800 the fsp is set at 1/60 min



    Quote Originally Posted by chisiang
    Here's my 5 cents advise:

    1. Remember to use the colour Gel that came with your SB-800. Hotel ballroom usually incandescent.

    2. Get a SB-8A if not I think you will have a hard time. Or at least use the 5th battery compartment.

    3. RAW or JPEG? Doesn't matter once you've got your test shot's white balance correctly set. I don't think there will be flourescent in ballroom. So your test shot is vital.

    i) You need to do a test shot during reception
    ii) one during the 'cut cake',
    iii) one for the table photos and that's about it.

    4. The SB-800 should be powerful enough with the built-in little white bounce card. However, a bigger one is always a bonus.

    The ONE single REAL problem will be... Sharpness. The D70 with the kit lense have somewhate retarded focus. Out of 10 pictures I took, 4 have focus problems, either back focus or completely blur. Dunno is it me or the lense.

    Your photo can have wrong white balance, slightly over exposed or under exposed but the couple will still happily thank you as layman just can't really tell what's wrong with the photos. BUT a photo which is blur is disaster!

    So make sure you take at least two photos at each table, just in case one turn out blur.
    1) 1 reason I recommend RAW, but anyway don't really need the gel, but it rocks, just tried out the SJ-1 set of color gels yesterday

    2) Yepz, it's necessary

    3) You'll regret it... heehee

    4) You'll definitely need an additional one, sykestang is selling bounce cards

    5) f/8 should solve most of the OOF issues at table shots, some blurness might be caused by the len haven't locked on and the shot is fired, setting to AF Single might solve this problem Also note where your focusing point is at. Don't focus at the table the flash will expose for the table and under your subjects.

  4. #24
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default JPG vs RAW - expert advice from Luminous Landscape

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml

    personally, i shoot RAW all the time simply becos i suck as a photog. easier to save the crap shots at home. more work, yah (by the 50th photo at 0000H, i wish i can myself...), but it SMA (save my arse) in the long run.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Well if using the SB800 the fsp is set at 1/60 min
    oh...high speed sync ah? ic ic...

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Well if using the SB800 the fsp is set at 1/60 min
    1/60 Min = 1 sec?

  7. #27
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    I Still believe in Getting it righ,t on Site, in the time of the dinos, you didn't have a 2nd chance to save your arse at home if you have bad shots. So you get almost all the shots right, the first time.

    If he is using flash, the light should be at 5500K (daylight balanced), so I believe that you should set your WB to daylight and let the ambiant light go yellow, what is most important is that the subject is the right colour.

  8. #28
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    learn to shoot using a film camera and then you can "get it right, On site"
    After that you can call yourself a Photographer, Post processing is for making a good shot, GREAT, not for saving your arse.

    Cheers

  9. #29
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    I Still believe in Getting it righ,t on Site, in the time of the dinos, you didn't have a 2nd chance to save your arse at home if you have bad shots. So you get almost all the shots right, the first time.

    If he is using flash, the light should be at 5500K (daylight balanced), so I believe that you should set your WB to daylight and let the ambiant light go yellow, what is most important is that the subject is the right colour.
    Heheh whatever, I recommend from personal experience. Betting your life and deliverables on flash + 5500K daylight with ambient yellow cast in the dinner is not something I'd want to do. How can the subject be right in color when the spot lights and the ambient light gets reflected off the subject to the CCD/CMOS. A bit illogical here.

    Getting right on site is the best but unfortunately in real life it's impossible. Like you mentioned there was no safety net last time, but there is now, why not use it?

    Hehe, sorry mhd, I just comment as I feel... not trying to disturb the thread here, will end my 'persistance' on RAW shooting, do feel free to experiment.

    Just remember, there ain't no even 2nd chance if you shoot JPEG. With RAW, there's still that safety net, if post processing & time effort in doing is your main concern, it shouldn't.

    The crux of photography is getting the composition, colors & images correct for reproduction. Not the effort & time consumption required for RAW processing.

  10. #30

    Default

    take it easy guys. Just shoot RAW+Jpeg with D70 If Jpg no good, can use RAW. If Jpg is good enough, then proceed to next photo

    But storage will a headache. That's why I get a Coolwalker! BUY! BUY! BUY!

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Get a canon!

    But seriously both jpeg and raw has its own advantages.

    RAW has more range for you to edit after the event and is better if you need to scale up the image for larger prints. You will need time to convert them of course. Consider RAW as digital negative.

    Jpeg takes up less space and if the exposure and WB is right, then its pretty usable. If you edit and sharpen, it will have some artifacts but not really noticeable unless you do a large print. It takes up less space and you don't have to convert. You will only loss detail if you keep re-saving it in jpeg. If you keep the original jpeg and save as psd or tiff after editing, you will not lose more details.

    For me... wedding events in large fine jpeg. Portraits in RAW. Simply becoz I shoot a lot more pics for the event part and would really be a torture to convert all the RAWs. Don't really understand the logic behind batch processing RAWs. Lighting condition is diff for each pic. If you do that, might as well shoot jpeg. If you shoot RAW, go thro each shot and convert.

    You should practice first... I hope this is not your first wedding event shoot and the couple are not guinea pigs. I once shot as a backup for a gd friend as a favour. He had engaged a newbie "pro"... ended up he just got his D70 and his shots turned out bad. Besides technical skills involved, you will need some social and composition skills. Don't forget, if you are the main guy, the folks will look to you for advice on what's next. where to stand, where to sit, how to pose, etc etc....
    Last edited by Zplus; 18th November 2004 at 11:54 AM.

  12. #32
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    zplus That's not an option

    Wah got shoot never jio me, buay steady

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    zplus That's not an option

    Wah got shoot never jio me, buay steady
    Hahah! It supports your Buy BUy bUY philosophy mah!

    Last minute one... I was suppose to be driver then my colleague says, "He's a photog too! You can engage him." Right infront of the main guy during a briefing session. That's after my friend engage and settle a price already. Sigh.... somemore he's on a budget so... i kindly did it as a favour as a backup.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    1/60 Min = 1 sec?
    i took it that he meant minimum

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    I Still believe in Getting it righ,t on Site, in the time of the dinos, you didn't have a 2nd chance to save your arse at home if you have bad shots. So you get almost all the shots right, the first time.
    yes that would be nice no doubt. but if i can have some extra safety nets why not?

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    zplus That's not an option

    Wah got shoot never jio me, buay steady
    eh...i like that option also leh

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    The crux of photography is getting the composition, colors & images correct for reproduction. Not the effort & time consumption required for RAW processing.
    very true. if you think that post processing takes too long, can always shoot film. then pass to lab and let them do the processing instead

  18. #38
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    taufiq never had the chance to explain if he was shooting paid, or shooting for a relative, kin or sibling.

    taufiq, personally i'll suggest you get someone who is professional about his/her work instead as the main photog, then you can be the backup/standby.

  19. #39
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Digital is a crutch in learning how to use your camera to the max, let go of the crutch and you will learn that if you know what your camera/flash can do, you don't really need alot of photoshop work to get a great photograph. FYI the burst of light from your flashgun is much brighter than the ambiant light, even a concert spotlight is NOT brighter than your flash. So experiment and think about the logic of your statement. I might be wrong, but I have over ten years of experience in photography and photoshop work.

  20. #40
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    taufiq never had the chance to explain if he was shooting paid, or shooting for a relative, kin or sibling.

    taufiq, personally i'll suggest you get someone who is professional about his/her work instead as the main photog, then you can be the backup/standby.
    I was all along commenting not taking into his account of being main or backup we've already had a lot of 'comments' on paid and free, main and backup photogs, let's just leave it at that


    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    Digital is a crutch in learning how to use your camera to the max, let go of the crutch and you will learn that if you know what your camera/flash can do, you don't really need alot of photoshop work to get a great photograph. FYI the burst of light from your flashgun is much brighter than the ambiant light, even a concert spotlight is NOT brighter than your flash. So experiment and think about the logic of your statement. I might be wrong, but I have over ten years of experience in photography and photoshop work.
    Just out of curiousity have you ever shot with digital before?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •