Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Bokeh

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    39

    Default Bokeh

    1. In what area is critique to be sought?

    What is a good 'bokeh'? and if I've achieved with this wokr

    2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

    Bokeh shots

    3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

    Rainy outdoor.

    4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

    I have no idea

    Thanks.


  2. #2

    Default Re: Bokeh

    Its a nice photo with the bokeh effect... but i'm not sure what is the subject you were taking, the dragonfly or the leaf?
    If it is the dragonfly, I would focus to take the dragonfly siting on the leaf at a closer distance, if you have the telephoto lens...

    The effect would be definitely different. Or another, you could crop the photo, minus the big chuck of the leaf on the right
    , see the effect.

    Overall I like the bokeh effect. Cool. Hope it helps!.

    Cheers.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Bokeh

    Thanks for the comments!

    I was using 50mm prime lens..and the dragon was slightly far. That was why it turn up this way. In fact, I still wouldn't crop away the chunk of leaf reason being if the leaf in the background is taken out, there won't be a very clear bokeh effect.. Mm I guess?
    Last edited by jonngoh; 19th December 2011 at 08:34 PM.

  4. #4
    Member mysimba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jln Kayu
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: Bokeh

    Bokeh consider OK...
    The water as background seems to be a bit distracting..
    As Kamera79 mention which is ur subject to be exact....
    My 2 cents worth of opinion...
    *Simba* loves D700 + 24-70

  5. #5
    Member akszaksz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Posts
    1,205

    Default Re: Bokeh

    For bokeh, considered good
    For subject, some ppl might not even noticed the dragonfly.

    Anyway, if your subject is meant to be that dragonfly, it's too small & not outstanding enough.
    Also believe you're shooting with you prime lens at it's widest aperture (probably F1.8?), your subject most likely will not be sharp. (Though it may look sharp on full view, but when you zoom slightly, it's not)


    BTW, i spot 1 speck of dust or something, you can see it slight center right, on the dark dark patch there. =)
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

  6. #6

    Default Re: Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by akszaksz View Post
    For bokeh, considered good
    For subject, some ppl might not even noticed the dragonfly.

    Anyway, if your subject is meant to be that dragonfly, it's too small & not outstanding enough.
    Also believe you're shooting with you prime lens at it's widest aperture (probably F1.8?), your subject most likely will not be sharp. (Though it may look sharp on full view, but when you zoom slightly, it's not)


    BTW, i spot 1 speck of dust or something, you can see it slight center right, on the dark dark patch there. =)
    At first I didn't notice the dragonfly there. And now someone noticed the dust spec on the image.. Geez you people really2 have sharp eyes!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Bokeh

    IMO, the background is mostly a large expanse of water, can't say that bokeh is much.
    Bokeh refers to the quality of the out of focus blur.
    Usually, there needs to be a more complicated bkground to show off how the lens renders the OOF parts (eg. trees; lights; couple of objects, etc).
    In this case, the bkgnd is too plain. Almost like using a colored cloth backdrop for a photo, so it does not showcase the bokeh of the lens.

    Composition wise, the subject is not obvious enough. The blade of grass seems to dominant compared to the dragonfly.
    It does not help when the sharpness falls on the leaf more than the dragonfly too.

    My few cents.

  8. #8
    Member/Tangshooter falconite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    AMK | Tang Shooters
    Posts
    2,203

    Default Re: Bokeh

    Yup, you have got bokeh in the pic but is that all you are after?
    | www.falconite.com | flickr |
    Canon Equipments

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post
    At first I didn't notice the dragonfly there. And now someone noticed the dust spec on the image.. Geez you people really2 have sharp eyes!
    totally agree on the dust. LOL in fact it was a tiny weeny water droplet. Tat day was drizzling.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    IMO, the background is mostly a large expanse of water, can't say that bokeh is much.
    Bokeh refers to the quality of the out of focus blur.
    Usually, there needs to be a more complicated bkground to show off how the lens renders the OOF parts (eg. trees; lights; couple of objects, etc).
    In this case, the bkgnd is too plain. Almost like using a colored cloth backdrop for a photo, so it does not showcase the bokeh of the lens.

    Composition wise, the subject is not obvious enough. The blade of grass seems to dominant compared to the dragonfly.
    It does not help when the sharpness falls on the leaf more than the dragonfly too.

    My few cents.
    I have to agree the part about the background. Well, not giving any excuses. The dragonfly in fact from the beginning wasn't the subject, the leaf was. But somehow the dragonfly just landed there. Reallyyyyy appreciate the comments! so much to learn!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by falconite View Post
    Yup, you have got bokeh in the pic but is that all you are after?

    for a start, yes, bokeh was all i was after for this picture..i have to agree my composition was not well composed. but bcos the dragonfly jus so happen to land there i only managed to take 3 shoots..and this was the best..

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Bokeh

    Quote Originally Posted by akszaksz View Post
    For bokeh, considered good
    For subject, some ppl might not even noticed the dragonfly.

    Anyway, if your subject is meant to be that dragonfly, it's too small & not outstanding enough.
    Also believe you're shooting with you prime lens at it's widest aperture (probably F1.8?), your subject most likely will not be sharp. (Though it may look sharp on full view, but when you zoom slightly, it's not)


    BTW, i spot 1 speck of dust or something, you can see it slight center right, on the dark dark patch there. =)
    yup yup, it was at f1.8. and the speck of dust was rain droplet....i didnt realised it till now..some of my other shots had it..

  13. #13

    Default Re: Bokeh

    the bokeh is good, very smooth.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •