Thread: Reflections at Keppel

Default Reflections at Keppel

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

I would like as much feedback as possible, composition, post processing, colours etc. This is my first time trying out exposure blending and quite frankly, I don't know if I have got it right. The RAW files are blended in PS, then exported to LR3 for global adjustments as I am very unfamiliar with PS.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Basically to capture a scene with architectural elements. Trying out blending using PS.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Rather overcast with a chance of thunderstorm.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I think the result's acceptable, not sure about compositional balance, quite unconfident about the processing.

Thanks.

i'm a noob | APWP 2012

Default Re: Reflections at Keppel

Looks good to me, the lighting on the buildilngs are just nice.

I'm thinking you could afford a longer exposure to smoothen out the water more. In addition, the horizontal perspective distortion here is a bit disorientating, I do like my lines straight and would correct this with liquification. Compositionally I find the right and left of the photograph a bit distracting and would consider having more sky by doing a vertical format composition instead. As it is right now, it is hard to come to a good crop with balance. The cyan cast on the water should also be resolved.

I have done a quick edit on the version you have posted to show what I mean (including blurring the water with motion blur to simulate the effect of a longer exposure)... All comments except for the composition.. Please let me know if you would like me to remove it. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Looks good to me, the lighting on the buildilngs are just nice.

I'm thinking you could afford a longer exposure to smoothen out the water more. In addition, the horizontal perspective distortion here is a bit disorientating, I do like my lines straight and would correct this with liquification. Compositionally I find the right and left of the photograph a bit distracting and would consider having more sky by doing a vertical format composition instead. As it is right now, it is hard to come to a good crop with balance. The cyan cast on the water should also be resolved.

I have done a quick edit on the version you have posted to show what I mean (including blurring the water with motion blur to simulate the effect of a longer exposure)... All comments except for the composition.. Please let me know if you would like me to remove it. Cheers.
    Thanks for the critique and taking the time to show what you mean, just some questions that I would like to ask you and seek your thoughts.

First is regarding the horizontal distortion. I understand that vertical distortion is a result of tilting the camera up/down, but how do I control the horizontal distortion during the shooting process?

To be honest, I am rather afraid to tilt the camera because all the various distortions, while I understand distortions can help the composition in some elements, very often I find the distortions working against what I had in mind, so I don't know if my concern is valid, but yet sometimes I realised it's extremely difficult to get a particular composition without tilting the camera.

Second is regarding the composition, i honestly find the left hand side to be a huge distraction because it's just trees and it does distract from the buildings in the scene so i shifted the view rightwards, but then I also considered compositional balance, because it would be too left-side heavy, so this was somewhat the best compromise I had for this scene at the spot.

I too considered a vertical composition, but then i was concerned about abruptly cropping off the yachts, just wish to ask what are your considerations/thoughts when deciding what to crop out of a scene.

Hope this isn't too lengthly and thanks once again =)
    Last edited by nissanmanic; 20th December 2011 at 08:33 AM.
    i'm a noob | APWP 2012

Hi, just my two cents:
    The shot is nice and there is a little nice movement in the clouds. Blending for exposure is always good. Felt that the the water is too cyan and could be a slightly longer exposure. A little more sky will be good and suggested by edutilos, vertical frame or frames for stitching will also be better for composition. Here is a quick version done by extending the sky and smoother on the water, desat the sky a little and change the hue for the water.

Also let me know to remove the image...

Last edited by MGohzxc; 18th December 2011 at 08:12 PM.

Hmm.. I think it's a very nice photo overall! The reflections don't really stand out to me(they appear more like shadows) so I think it doesn't warrant the whole bottom half of the photo. The composition is right-heavy(the negative space on the left upsets the balance). Probably a crop like that done of MGohzxc would solve the issue.

I think the waters are too choppy for a nice reflection. As you've said, there's about to be a thunderstorm. So I'd wait right after the storm has past(where you'd still retain the drama from the storm clouds) when the winds are not too strong to capture a better reflection. A longer exposure- already mentioned by edutilos and MGohzxc- would help too. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by MGohzxc View Post
    Hi, just my two cents:
    The shot is nice and there is a little nice movement in the clouds. Blending for exposure is always good. Felt that the the water is too cyan and could be a slightly longer exposure. A little more sky will be good and suggested by edutilos, vertical frame or frames for stitching will also be better for composition. Here is a quick version done by extending the sky and smoother on the water, desat the sky a little and change the hue for the water.

Also let me know to remove the image...
    Hi! Thanks for the critique as well, noted on the cyan waters and the composition part, probably will take another trip down to seek a different angle maybe. Thanks again!
    i'm a noob | APWP 2012

Quote Originally Posted by megain View Post
    Hmm.. I think it's a very nice photo overall! The reflections don't really stand out to me(they appear more like shadows) so I think it doesn't warrant the whole bottom half of the photo. The composition is right-heavy(the negative space on the left upsets the balance). Probably a crop like that done of MGohzxc would solve the issue.

I think the waters are too choppy for a nice reflection. As you've said, there's about to be a thunderstorm. So I'd wait right after the storm has past(where you'd still retain the drama from the storm clouds) when the winds are not too strong to capture a better reflection. A longer exposure- already mentioned by edutilos and MGohzxc- would help too. Cheers!
    Hi, thanks for leaving your critique =) I did consider leaving out the trees on the left, but since the building is the dominating structure there, shifting the frame rightwards for me felt like a leftside heavy composition, since I was going to have a 50/50 composition for the water and the scene, so this was about 45/55 for the left & right sides, it was what felt like the best compromise for me since it was a pretty short blue hour.

As for the shadows, hmmm, that's just a personal preference but I don't really like to crop reflections off water bodies, makes it seem rather 'incomplete', but will try it out someday, maybe it works! yup. Thanks once again! =)
    i'm a noob | APWP 2012

Awesome Photo! Love the color gradient of the waters!
    Did you left it to long exposure for the effect?

Overall, I think its a damn awesome photo!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by nissanmanic View Post
    First is regarding the horizontal distortion. I understand that vertical distortion is a result of tilting the camera up/down, but how do I control the horizontal distortion during the shooting process?
    Not much you can do about it actually, sometimes. Here it seems possible, but I'm not so familiar with the location. Horizontal perspective distortion is simple logic. A horizontal line is too near your camera (near, doesn't mean 1 m, it just means visible). When it's sufficient far away, it doesn't matter (e.g. horizon). When say, the opposite bank, or a railing is near you, and your camera back isn't parallel to the horizontal, you get the horizontal lines present coming TOWARDS you or AWAY from you. That results in the illusion of a slanted horizontal line even though your camera may be level.

A simple way to understand this better is to position yourself near a door, or a mirror or a railing - something with a clearly horizontal line. If you place your camera parallel, you'd see a straight line. If you slant away from it, then you'd see that things change.

versus

Second is regarding the composition, i honestly find the left hand side to be a huge distraction because it's just trees and it does distract from the buildings in the scene so i shifted the view rightwards, but then I also considered compositional balance, because it would be too left-side heavy, so this was somewhat the best compromise I had for this scene at the spot.

I too considered a vertical composition, but then i was concerned about abruptly cropping off the yachts, just wish to ask what are your considerations/thoughts when deciding what to crop out of a scene.
    I consider a few things:

- Balance of space: as far as possible, the image should have some amount of distribution. You can't have things shoved on the right; neither can you have things shoved on the left... Exception is when you are aiming for a minimalistic approach, then placing it on the thirds, or dead centre with space all around will work fine. There are of course other exceptions as well.

- Elements: Do they add, or subtract from the image? If they add, leave them in, if they don't, take them out. If you can't, then try to make it such that the unnecessary elements play a much smaller role (either by weight, or inconspicuous) in the picture.

Here for this picture, I know for sure that I don't like any of the elements on the left or right; the huge mass of black is distracting, as you've said yourself; so that results in a dilemna - if you crop tightly near the buildings, then you're not going to be able to use any of the space on the right. Thus I would have composed vertically to retain the option of including more water/sky - since they are going to be possibly of use; while composing horizontally leaves me with just one possible result.

looks quite good. keep up the good work.