Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are the setting to use using dinner event?

Default Re: what are the setting to use using dinner event?

Quote Originally Posted by pasay View Post
    like this?

that reminded me of this little fellow........

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by kennykck View Post
    open ur IS, set shutter speed to 1/25~30, ISO 800, f2.8~3.5. Bump up ISO if ur subject is still blur.
    If you fix shutter speed (~1/30) and aperture (f/2.8-3.5), and then subsequently bump up the ISO (from 800 to.....), how does that mitigate the subject being blur?

And I fail to see how one can recommend the appropriate settings for 3 parameters without knowing anything about the scene except 'dinner event'
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by kennykck View Post
    open ur IS, set shutter speed to 1/25~30, ISO 800, f2.8~3.5. Bump up ISO if ur subject is still blur.
    Your advice is half-baked and does not answer the point.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by kennykck
    How do you "open ur IS"? I've heard of mouth, ass but what's IS that we can open

Learnt something new, ISO can be used in place of focus to sharpen pics.

wow. open season on newbies who contribute nonsense.

i like.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    wow. open season on newbies who contribute nonsense.

i like.

Like me
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

My assumption is you are taking group photo (no movement) in banquet. What I state here might not be a full advice but it's more of the stuffs you should consider while you shoot in such situation.

You'll need higher shutter speed, at least 1/focal length shutter speed to ensure least chance of camera shake. At the same time, you will also need at least 1/60s of shutter speed (1/125s to be safe) to ensure you can keep the subjects still in your image.

F-stop on the other hand is a personal choice but this value will usually range between F/4 to F/5.6. F/8 is a little too much unless u are taking a very huge 4 tier group with abt 30 pax and above.

Boosting ISO, gives you an overall boost to get faster shutter speed, able to use smaller aperture and overall exposure on subject & background at the cost of image grains.

Lastly, for flash, assuming you are using external flash units, shooting TTL might not give you accurate results all the time. However, you are still able to fine tune your flash power on ur camera body and also on the external flash unit. Both values contribute to the final result (or so I was told... Usually I only meddle with the flash ev on camera body due to convenience).
    On top of that, your flash exposure on your subject is greatly affect by your aperture and ISO and also your flash unit's distance away from your subjects.

This is my personal experience and it works for me thus far (after going thr the above in thoughts for different situations)
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

*And don't tell me you preview it from the LCD screen and say it looks great....regardless on whether you zoom in to the max or not, the PC screen is always better when looking into such details*
    True
    Last time when I saw the photo from LCD screen, it always looks good. So I decided stop and continue with the other, but after transferred the photo to PC, it looks terrible.

But what people say is correct, practice makes u better, by the time, u can roughly know whether it's good or not.
    Last edited by Bee-Phone; 21st December 2011 at 08:56 AM.

i usually use f2.8~3.5
    its not tact sharp but who (other than yourself) is going to pixel peep anyway.
    no one is going to say the last strand of hair is not in focus.

Heck I even use f2 all the time when I'm on a prime.

I like my background to be lit. It shows the venue and what else is going on.
    If you need a clean background, there is 101 ways to shift yourself/watch for people walking past.
    Last edited by IsenGrim; 23rd December 2011 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim
    i usually use f2.8~3.5

If you need a clean background, there is 101 ways to shift yourself/watch for people walking past.
    If u are shooting two rows of people, the thin DOF is very obvious and can be very unpleasant
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    i usually use f2.8~3.5

one complaint is all u need

Quote Originally Posted by rvf79 View Post
    yeah the background is underexposed. only the group subjects are exposed, due to the flash.
    maybe can try the rear curtain sync?

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    one complaint is all u need
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    If u are shooting two rows of people, the thin DOF is very obvious and can be very unpleasant
    Its quite alright at 3.2 or 3.5 if you know where to focus and which focal length to use.
    I've been shooting 2.8 and printing S8Rs for people and friends. No one can tell the DOF.
    There's quite enough dof at 17mmf2.8 to fit 2 rows. (if you know where to focus)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12