Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are the setting to use using dinner event?

Default what are the setting to use using dinner event?

Hi all,
    would like to check with all of you, what is the recommended setting to shot during an dinner event?

i am using my 430EXII.
    I had set to 1/40 of sec and F2.8. ISO 400. IS off.

during the event, is it nice to see the background lighted up or near back?

Default Re: what are the setting to use using dinner event?

Quote Originally Posted by rvf79 View Post
    Hi all,
    would like to check with all of you, what is the recommended setting to shot during an dinner event?

i am using my 430EXII.
    I had set to 1/40 of sec and F2.8. ISO 400. IS off.

during the event, is it nice to see the background lighted up or near back?
    1. Asked to death. Please search.
    2. All depends on your own preference and style
    3. Also will all depend on the location, lighting, etc.
    4. Using basic photographic common sense, are you *sure* you want to shoot at f/2.8? Will be hard to get everyone in focus.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    1. Asked to death. Please search.
    2. All depends on your own preference and style
    3. Also will all depend on the location, lighting, etc.
    4. Using basic photographic common sense, are you *sure* you want to shoot at f/2.8? Will be hard to get everyone in focus.
    i get them to be on the same plane... so F2.8 works. :P
    i did F8, the whole background is almost dark, lite up the people in the picture only. looks nice.

but would like to know, how to look pro.

By not imitating would be a good start. Practice helps. Understanding your camera and light too.
    Alpha

read up more on flash photography, shoot more and practice more.

A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step - Confucius
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

attach battery grip to your camera, use Gary Fong light sphere, get the biggest lenshood you can find attach to your lens, set your camera to continuous shots, wear all black,
    when you are shooting, keep shouting "yeah baby, that's right, look sexy, yeah baby, that's great, give me more, more, yeah baby, you are great, ok, got it, lets take five", than throw your camera to your assistant and walk off.
    Last edited by catchlights; 17th December 2011 at 10:08 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

the moment u started this thread, you already can't look pro anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    attach battery grip to your camera, use Gary Fong light sphere, get the biggest lenshood you can find attach to your lens, set your camera to continuous shots, wear all black,
    when you are shooting, keep shouting "yeah baby, that's right, look sexy, yeah baby, that's great, give me more, more, yeah baby, you are great, ok, got it, lets take five", than throw your camera to your assistant and walk off.
    I'm going to try this advice out when I shoot my next wedding as the free main photog. Thanks for the tips!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

why IS off?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    You win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u confirm ish not pro
    where is your photographer vest? hahaha

lol
    u best!!!!!~~~~~~~

sweat

Eh, jokes aside, I do think that having a little bit of the background exposed rather than completely unexposed is better-looking.

It's better to close your aperture to smaller than F/2.8...the DOF will be a bit too shallow and a smaller aperture will give you a margin of error in focusing. In dimly-lit places the AF may not be very accurate.

What you can do is to close your aperture and bump up your ISO to 800 or higher. And IS shouldn't be off on handheld...the function is there to help you compensate for your hand shake, so it is a bit weird that you turn it off instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao View Post
    Eh, jokes aside, I do think that having a little bit of the background exposed rather than completely unexposed is better-looking.

It's better to close your aperture to smaller than F/2.8...the DOF will be a bit too shallow and a smaller aperture will give you a margin of error in focusing. In dimly-lit places the AF may not be very accurate.

What you can do is to close your aperture and bump up your ISO to 800 or higher. And IS shouldn't be off on handheld...the function is there to help you compensate for your hand shake, so it is a bit weird that you turn it off instead.
    i offed my IS is due to the shutter speed i set was at 1/60.

i had tried a few shots with F8. the background looks a bit dark, but the subject looks great.

i had tried a few shots with F8. the background looks a bit dark, but the subject looks great.
    What does the f/8 got to do with IS? If IS is there, it's meant to be used while handheld. If there is a chance I will off my IS, it will be in the bright daylight instead.

*And don't tell me you preview it from the LCD screen and say it looks great....regardless on whether you zoom in to the max or not, the PC screen is always better when looking into such details*
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Blog Entries

best comment ever!

IS - Image Stabilisation - is to counter any blur due to handshake and should be left on most of the time. Probably the only time to switch is off is when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

Anyway, based on your description it seems you are shooting in M mode. If you shoot at 1/60 your background will definitely be underexposed if your ISO is not high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao View Post
    IS - Image Stabilisation - is to counter any blur due to handshake and should be left on most of the time. Probably the only time to switch is off is when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

Anyway, based on your description it seems you are shooting in M mode. If you shoot at 1/60 your background will definitely be underexposed if your ISO is not high enough.
    yeah the background is underexposed. only the group subjects are exposed, due to the flash.

open ur IS, set shutter speed to 1/25~30, ISO 800, f2.8~3.5. Bump up ISO if ur subject is still blur.

like this?

a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast