Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to shoot night portraits?

Default Re: How to shoot night portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by rvf79 View Post
    bro, where is the flash placed? using bounced card? how many speedlites u r using? looks like 1 LED with stand lighting from the rear of the model and speedlight with bounced card from the front of the model.
    there were 3 lights used in this shot: an sb900 shooting thru umbrella at 7.30 o'clock of the model, a portable strobe placed next to the sb900 in modelling light mode thru an umbrella to provide the warm look, and an sb800 kick light behind the model to provide the outline/hairlight.
    Last edited by lostsole; 31st December 2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole View Post
    there were 3 lights used in this shot: an sb900 shooting thru umbrella at 7.30 o'clock of the model, a portable strobe placed next to the sb900 in modelling light mode thru an umbrella to provide the warm look, and an sb800 kick light behind the model to provide the outline/hairlight.
    woh... is there any setup then don need so many things to attract a lot of attention?

woh... is there any setup then don need so many things to attract a lot of attention?
    shoot with built in flash only.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    shoot with built in flash only.
    Hahaha!!!

well, the larger the light modifier the softer the light will be, there is no way around it. so for the main light if u use a bounce card or omni-bounce, the light will be harder due to the smaller light source. but hard light doesn't mean bad, and sometimes an off camera direct flash will provide a more dramatic effect in carving out the outline. if u like to go the strobist way, min setup would be an off camera light + a light modifier (i.e. either an umbrella, a softbox, or a beauty dish). if you want hairlight then u need to add a kicker and it becomes a 2 light setup. for providing the warm look you can use an led light with orange filter. the usual setup i usually carry with me is a 2 light system, which consist of 2 light stands, 1 shoot thru umbrella, 1 sb900 & 1 sb800 (i've just added 2 nissin di866 recently), and remote triggers.
    Last edited by lostsole; 31st December 2011 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole

well, the larger the light modifier the softer the light will be, there is no way around it. so for the main light if u use a bounce card or omni-bounce, the light will be harder due to the smaller light source. but hard light doesn't mean bad, and sometimes an off camera direct flash will provide a more dramatic effect in carving out the outline. if u like to go the strobist way, min setup would be an off camera light + a light modifier (i.e. either an umbrella, a softbox, or a beauty dish). if you want hairlight then u need to add a kicker and it becomes a 2 light setup. for providing the warm look you can use an led light with orange filter. the usual setup i usually carry with me is a 2 light system, which consist of 2 light stands, 1 shoot thru umbrella, 1 sb900 & 1 sb800 (i've just added 2 nissin di866 recently), and remote triggers.
    Thinking of adding YN speedlight on top of my ex460ex2.

I did tried off camera flash, but during that time, there isn't any place for me to place my flash... Think will slowly build up my set up.

Thinking of adding YN speedlight on top of my ex460ex2.

I did tried off camera flash, but during that time, there isn't any place for me to place my flash... Think will slowly build up my set up.
    Get a cheapo tripod to mount the flash off camera. Can leave the flash stand attached "permanently" to the cheapo

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Get a cheapo tripod to mount the flash off camera. Can leave the flash stand attached "permanently" to the cheapo
    need to get the converter for the tripod to be mount on the tripod...
    i had order 1 piece liao... now pending for it to arrive

need to get the converter for the tripod to be mount on the tripod...
    i had order 1 piece liao... now pending for it to arrive
    u can buy a lightstand also.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

u can buy a lightstand also.
    Light stand more ex than the cheapo tripod.. Lol

SGcamerastore has some cny promo though..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    Light stand more ex than the cheapo tripod.. Lol

SGcamerastore has some cny promo though..
    tripod is height limiting. unless u owns a very tall tripod. else most light stands can go up to 1.9m.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

tripod is height limiting. unless u owns a very tall tripod. else most light stands can go up to 1.9m.
    Manda are selling good air cushion light stand that extends till more than 2m that cost less than $30. You might consider that.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Manda are selling good air cushion light stand that extends till more than 2m that cost less than $30. You might consider that.
    i have 2 light stand which is ard 2m+

like from my foot all the way till my hand when i raised them up. i think it's 2.5m. i am 1.8m tall
    but will look at the manda

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123