Thread: Suggestion for external CD-RW?

Default Suggestion for external CD-RW?

I bought a Toshiba Portege 2000 and now I'd like an external CD-RW to go with it. I saw the Toshiba SL II Premium CDRW Drive on the Toshiba website, but I don't think they gave an indication of how much it cost, so can anyone recommend a cheap external cd-rw drive? My main concern is the cost of the drive since I probably won't burn anything faster than 8x, which brings me to my next question.

I understand that external USB CD-RW drives can only burn faster than 4x if the computer has a USB 2 port. How can I find out if my laptop has such a port? Tried looking up the specs for my laptop but all they mention is how many USB ports it has. It's running on WinXP Pro btw.

Default USB Port

In Windows XP, you can check the USB port by going to:
    Start Menu
    Control Panel
    Device Manager

Scroll down to the USB port, and click on properties. I think you will find it there.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any info. All they told me was it was a USB Root Hub or something like that, and the driver version is 5.something. Any other ideas?

Just a suggestion: does your Device Manager list the name of your USB Host Controller chipset? Perhaps you can do a search for information regarding this chipset or ask around about it on computer hardware forums or newsgroups.

Btw, make sure the CD-RW drive you purchase supports USB 2.0 as well.