Thread: Am I in any imminent danger ???

Default Am I in any imminent danger ???

Ok, the thing is this... my laptop (keyboard area) is really "warm & cosy" to touch under the really fierce airconditioning in the office.

The right side of the laptop has this ventilation which is emitting heat intermittently whenever the hard disk is spinning. The heat level is skin bearable but I find the heat intensity to be unusually high.

I then raised the laptop off my table and I realised the table surface underneath the laptop is really hot and can possibly cook, or half-cook, an egg. The heat seems to radiate from the hard disk compartment or area around it, so unbearably hot for any form of skin contact.

The battery no longer hold charge and the laptop has been powered up directly from the main power supply. Could this be why that causes the heatiness?

Anyone here also experienced the same cosy keyboard, warm ventilation from the right side of the laptop with a table surface hot enough to cook an egg?

my nec versa e120 also get's pretty 'warm'. but i'm still alive after 2 years. think it's okay

It's quite normal actually. Especially after extended use. It's got nothing to do with whether your battery still hold charge or not. The heat is from your processors and chips on your motherboard. For some notebooks, the heat is directed to radiate through the keyboard or distributed through the bottom. However the main cooling mechanism is still through the fan. The aircon in your office wouldn't really do much to cool your notebook, because your notebook is heat-generating. As long as there's power, your notebook will continue to generate heat; more if it's been intensively used.

i believe the fear of being burnt by the heat is less than of the fear of the laptop suddenly exploding or you being electricuted. :P

Why not try the kind of support under the laptop...i believe its still being sold in the market...those half balls which u stick under your laptop which allows more ventilation. (by the way it's a singaporean invention...i can't remember what they are called. )
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99
    those half balls which u stick under your laptop which allows more ventilation. (by the way it's a singaporean invention...i can't remember what they are called. )
    Speedballs. $11.80 at South Asia Funan.

is bgat a guy?

i guess if you use it as a 'laptop', it might really cook 2 eggs...

ya the speedballs do help, & it doesn't draw power from the laptop, there is a kind which placed below the laptop, den have ventilation fans, draws power from usb... useless imho...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99
    i believe the fear of being burnt by the heat is less than of the fear of the laptop suddenly exploding or you being electricuted. :P
    Don't think there's a lot of component in the notebook that can blow up.... maybe the battery. Anyway, if you the keyboard a lot and the notebook blows up, your hands and forearm will be taking most of the damage. So the
    face wouldn't get disfigured!

Not being very comforting I guess...

Smile

Hi,
    You say,"the battery no longer holds a charge". I guess therefore that you have owned the laptop for more than one year.
    With that in mind, have you not noticed the heat before ?
    It may be that the laptop is trying harder to charge a dead battery thus generating more heat.
    As for exploding laptops: Statistics show that more people were injured by being hit in the head by laptops thrown by MS Wind*ws users
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

I know that some Toshiba and IBM models are extra hot but there is no danger.

Deregistered

Mine generated enough heat to go below the office table

In case someone is worried about my long silent departure from this thread, the good news is I am not burnt dead or maybe not yet?

Wasn't aware a laptop has got so many functions, next time I will remind myself to bring some eggs.

Del_CtrlnoAlt: I will heed your advice never use a laptop on my lap

Ditto. I can feel the heat through the bottom of a solid wooden desk from my laptop. You can also explore those cooling laptop platforms from challenger or simlim, it's basically a plastic deck with 2 integral CPU-fans, you just park your laptop on top of it and the fans cool down the bottom of the laptop and improve heat management. I think it costs around $30... dunno how useful it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by tingchiyen
    Ditto. I can feel the heat through the bottom of a solid wooden desk from my laptop. You can also explore those cooling laptop platforms from challenger or simlim, it's basically a plastic deck with 2 integral CPU-fans, you just park your laptop on top of it and the fans cool down the bottom of the laptop and improve heat management. I think it costs around $30... dunno how useful it is though.
    If you're using it for long hours. Be prepared, the fans DO NOT LAST. I'm using one of those, fans making weird noises. As to effectiveness. Its better than passive cooling ie. speedballs.

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    If you're using it for long hours. Be prepared, the fans DO NOT LAST. I'm using one of those, fans making weird noises. As to effectiveness. Its better than passive cooling ie. speedballs.
    btw i think my bro got 1 box of it as in 1 carton of it in his room, think he 'overstocked' hehehe... wonder how much he selling...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

do u know that the cost of a pair of speedballs is $1. the usb poswered cooling fans do work but they dont seem to last except for the one by Cooling Master that costs $59.90. Made out of aluminium and 2 fans. Good enough. If you're using ur laptop as a desktop. i suggest u use two "Post-it" pads or other material (improvise) to raise ur laptop above the table top. I've seen my colleagues using two thick books to rasie his laptop's screen to eye leve (no more neck strain) and using the bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse. :-) pretty cool. btw, he was using a 17' powerbook. :-)

at least from the above set-up of two books or the cooling pad with fans, ur laptop is being leveled up. if u use those speedballs, ur HDD and optical drives are spinning at an angle which obviously they're are not design to spin slantly...

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    btw i think my bro got 1 box of it as in 1 carton of it in his room, think he 'overstocked' hehehe... wonder how much he selling...
    Whole carton?!?!? Currently looking for one that has replaceable fans so that i can buy them at SLT and just reconnect them rather than keep on buying new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths
    do u know that the cost of a pair of speedballs is $1. the usb poswered cooling fans do work but they dont seem to last except for the one by Cooling Master that costs $59.90. Made out of aluminium and 2 fans. Good enough. If you're using ur laptop as a desktop. i suggest u use two "Post-it" pads or other material (improvise) to raise ur laptop above the table top. I've seen my colleagues using two thick books to rasie his laptop's screen to eye leve (no more neck strain) and using the bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse. :-) pretty cool. btw, he was using a 17' powerbook. :-)

at least from the above set-up of two books or the cooling pad with fans, ur laptop is being leveled up. if u use those speedballs, ur HDD and optical drives are spinning at an angle which obviously they're are not design to spin slantly...

Yup quite true. Abit worries regarding the angle the stuff's running at since optical drives and hdd operation is supposed to be 90 or 180 degrees.