Thread: Preview: Leica V-Lux 3

Blog Entries

Default Preview: Leica V-Lux 3

thanks to Leica SG, Clubsnap is fortunate enough to be one of the first in Asia to preview the latest Leica camera - the V-Lux 3 superzoom camera!

Leica Camera AG - Photography - V-LUX 3

---

13 December 2011
    For Immediate Release
    Press information

New: LEICA V-LUX 3

The versatile all-in-one camera for creative stills and video

Leica Camera AG, Solms, presents the Leica V-Lux 3, a new compact digital camera with an extensive range of features. This versatile all-round camera features a Leica DC Vario-Elmarit 4.5 - 108 mm f/2.8 - 5.2 ASPH. 24-fold super-telephoto zoom lens with an enormous range of focal lengths equivalent to 25–600 mm in 35 mm format. For photographers who like to shoot landscapes, architecture, sport, travel, portraits or wildlife, this enormously flexible lens makes the new V-Lux 3 ideal for almost all photographic situations. The newly developed 12.1-megapixel CMOS image sensor guarantees exceptional image quality for all applications. Together with an extensive range of video options and video quality comparable with that delivered by premium-range camcorders, the V-Lux 3 is a truly universal solution for creative photographers looking for an all-in-one camera.

‘The Leica V-Lux 3 combines exceptional performance with the handy size of a compact camera, thus uniting the product features of two camera systems. This offers users numerous benefits. The enormous range of focal lengths offered by the V-Lux 3 covers almost all photographic situations that usually require the use of camera systems with the often annoying necessity of changing lenses. The camera is therefore an attractive alternative to entry-level DSLR cameras with interchangeable lenses,’ says Peter Kruschewski, product manager for Digital Compact Cameras at Leica Camera AG.

Managing Director of Leica Camera Asia Pacific, Sunil Kaul said, “We are very excited to welcome the newest member of the family in the first few days of January in time for New Year, the new V-Lux 3, a beautiful gift for yourself or loved ones. This innovative “all-in-one” solution combines classic photography functions with video quality that can only normally be found on premium camcorders. With a handy and compact design, the camera is the ideal companion for you wherever you go. At Leica, we take pride in manufacturing quality and functional products which will continue to capture more of the important moments of your life.”

In addition to this, the Leica V-Lux 3 also features a very impressive range of video functions. The camera captures full-HD video in AVCHD format with 1920 × 1080 pixels and 60 full frames per second. This 1080p60 video format not only guarantees the perfect rendition of fast movement in outstanding detail, but is also ideal for conversion to alternative resolutions and refresh rates. The entire 24-fold zoom range is available during video recording and an integrated stereo microphone with an electronic wind noise filter guarantees a crystal-clear soundtrack. Another particular highlight of the V-Lux 3 is its high-speed burst-shooting capability: bursts of 12 frames per second at full resolution, or 60 frames per second at a resolution of 3.5 MP, make it one of the fastest burst-shooting cameras in its class.

The 3" LCD display with 460,000 pixel resolution delivers an extremely bright and clear view and is a reliable aid to photographers in the precise composition and assessment of images. The monitor screen of the V-Lux 3 can be twisted and turned in almost any direction, opening up entirely new horizons for image composition – from even the most unusual angles. Even if it is necessary to shoot stills or video from above the head or down close to the ground, photographers using the V-Lux 3 always remain in full control, whatever the situation.

The design of the Leica V-Lux 3 is characterised by a compact form and extremely simple handling. Its integrated handgrip keeps it steady in your hands, and its light weight even lets you shoot one-handed. All of its controls are clearly laid out and simple to use. For instance, video recording can be started quickly and easily at the touch of a button on the top deck of the camera.

The Leica V-Lux 3 is supplied complete with a comprehensive software package. The image-processing software Adobe® Photoshop® Elements offers users options for viewing, organisation and administration in addition to a wide range of image-processing solutions. The high-quality software Adobe® Premiere® Elements is especially designed for video processing. This easy-to-use software package offers optimum features for processing videos recorded by the V-Lux 3 in AVCHD format, enabling the creation of professional audio and video effects. Both programs are available as free downloads from the Leica website after registration of the camera.

The Leica V-Lux 3 will be available from authorised Leica dealers from January 2012.

you can read more about the nuts and bolts here.

a few of us will be putting this camera through its paces over the next few days and we will be updating as we go along. stay tuned!

If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

Is there a cheaper Panasonic equivalent?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Preview: Leica V-Lux 3

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Is there a cheaper Panasonic equivalent?
    the camera is only released in jan 2012. as of now, we don't have the price.

pls keep the thread clean for updates on pics. thanks.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

Blog Entries

since the sales brochure did promise all this...
    "In addition to this, the Leica V-Lux 3 also features a very impressive range of video functions. The camera captures full-HD video in AVCHD format with 1920 × 1080 pixels and 60 full frames per second. This 1080p60 video format not only guarantees the perfect rendition of fast movement in outstanding detail, but is also ideal for conversion to alternative resolutions and refresh rates. The entire 24-fold zoom range is available during video recording and an integrated stereo microphone with an electronic wind noise filter guarantees a crystal-clear soundtrack."

i decided to take a test video this morning of my baby girl bopping to Coldplay's "Paradise". i put her in front of the fan to test if the electronic wind (literally) noise filter works as advertised. glad to say, it does. and the mic is amazing. those who heard screaming, that's my elder daughter screaming cos she cut her finger.... and i must say, i am pretty impressed with the video quality when show on my PC and the clarity of sound. (if you are not seeing it on youtube, try watching it on HD). the AF works as advertised. fast, without lag... granted my girl wasn't really moving fast. still, it is pretty impressive compared to my past experiences with mega-zoom compacts.
    Last edited by nightwolf75; 16th December 2011 at 09:33 AM.

Blog Entries

ISO tests

ISO100

ISO200

ISO400

ISO800

ISO1600

... contd

Blog Entries

ISO3200

original files here. all pics shot on AE mode, @f8, AWB & Standard colour mode. on my PC, the image starts getting mushy ard ISO800.

as with most of the modern compacts/mega-zooms, the V-Lux 3 comes with the different colour modes.

Vivid

Natural

Mono

...contd

Blog Entries

Scenery

Portrait

unfortunately, the afternoon rains washed out my plans to shoot outdoors. here are 2 pics of my kids using this camera. i actually quite like the skin tones of Standard Colours. and, the lens is pretty sharp, expected of leica-brand.

hopefully, tomorrow morning, i can bring it out for some early sunrise shoot.

Blog Entries

i quite like the LCD screen at the back. nice, big and bright.

the Lux3 allows you to switch between EVF and LCD. personally, while i think the EVF is not too bad, it is not easy to shoot from as i found that there is a slight delay between AF-lock and the actual display shown on the EVF.

there is a slight design problem i found. the tripod socket is not exactly centre of lens, and depending on the plate that you are using, it might end up obstructing the SD/battery door. i am using the markins P26U plate - the smallest plate i have at home and it ended up blocking access to the door. problem for me cos i prefer to download pics straight from card rather than from the USB cable.

Blog Entries

another test video on a slightly faster subject. just took it this morning at Jurong Lake Park.

more photos will follow later.

Blog Entries

spotted this cat on the car's boot. this is where the extremely long zoom lens of the Lux-3 comes to play cos i don't want to spook the cat.

what i really like about the Lux-3 is the really long telephoto lens, which makes it very convenient for walkabouts. frequent travellers will appreciate the 25-600mm (35mm equivalent) lens as it really cuts down on the amount of gear you need to bring along. and, with the in-built IS, it cuts down on the amount of blurry pics you might have.

(all these were taken at the extreme end of the lens).

Blog Entries

the macro mode (ie close focusing) is not too bad. however, there were times i encounters focus-hunting as the lens had to cycle through till infinity before locking on.

even at Standard colour mode, with all settings to neutral, i find that the colours out of camera quite punchy.

Blog Entries

some other pics which i played with the colour settings. i do love their monochrome mode.

this is shot using the digital zoom function. the image is still acceptable enough. click on the image to go to the actual image of the butterfly in the field.

overall, i do think this camera packs a lot into a decently small package. it is very convenient to lug around, good sensor output and responsive enough for normal everyday shooting. the HD-movie capability is definitely one of the better ones that i have used.
    Last edited by nightwolf75; 17th December 2011 at 03:53 PM.