Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakdown on North-South MRT Line

Default Re: Breakdown on North-South MRT Line

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    The moment a company is listed in the stock market.... 'Moral' isn't too high in the shareholders mind.

And btw... the Photo is from a company D&D... is giving the workers a good time for one night in the whole year so wrong ?? Are workers from SMRT suppose to not enjoy ourselves during D7D ??
    hahaha i kinda agree, as in there is nothing wrong with the D&D.. just a pic of a pig on a sedan haha....
    but i kinda understand why people get angry about that also... but i think it would be quite unfair to judge a person
    base on the pic ...

ps i never enjoyed D & D..... sometimes there is headcount freeze, pay freeze blah blah ....and you have to attend D&D.. ur boss wouldnot be pleased if you
    are absent.... just only management's excuse to show they "care" about the employees or the morale... i prefer they use the budget to give old hard cash or gives you the option on how to spend ... (sorry ot a bit :P)

You might no believe this... but its somewhat true. If SMRT is still govt own... could you think how much of your tax paying dollars will have to go yearly to support the system ??
    tax-paying dollars going to support system to me is justifiable....
    but paying higher prices to "ensure" that shareholders "earn profits" is not...

and who are the "shareholders"... hmmmmm, "cannot say publicly"

and blame has to be shared equally between the transport authority and smrt.....
    not smrt alone..... cos they approved the price hikes based on improvements...
    NOW I REALLY WONDERED HOW THE HELL they did the inspection or something to find the "improvements" to justify the price hike...

Quote Originally Posted by cws77 View Post

Can... any of the public who own a trading account, could at any time, buy SMRT's Shares in the open market and be one of its Shareholder. But do you want to do it, have the extra $$$$ to do it... is another matter all together.

And Yes... All these years working for SMRT... only been to 1 D&D... but being a front line staff, at least have excuses not to go....

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by Deyeno View Post
    I totally agree with you on this, as the normal person on the street doesnt understand what is required, BUT both the government and SMRT have touted the MRT as World Class, so the normal person in the street, expects nothing less.

You cant just snap your fingers and more trains magically appear with fully trained staff.

In respect to the Oilfield having redundant systems, I was meaning here, that SMRT just cant shut down sections of tracks, for more rigorous maintenance inspections or repairs, because you have no way to reroute the trains.

On an Oil Rig, NOT all systems have redundancy, such as the Top Drive or Drawworks, but if they break down and Drilling Stops, its loss of production, then big problems for the operator if it cant be fixed ASAP. If this happens, it could lead to the current day rate for the RIG not being paid which could be anywhere from 100K to 750K per day depending on the size of the rig. So nothing is spared when it comes to maintenance of essential equipment, as the financial loss is not worth it.

You could of course shut down sections of tracks between stations, but what happens then, how to help the passengers or causing more road congestion due to adding buses to ferry people between stations. Imagine trying to shutdown any of the major interchanges.

Just MAYBE, when ALL the circle lines are complete, this may allow for more maintenance on the aging systems but cant the present system wait another 3 to 4 years.

Cheers ....

Excellent and accurate information, kudos to you for posting this as this is the reality of how things are.

As for people's complaints, I believe the underlying reason is because the government has been aggressively increasing the number of people in Singapore, but did not take in account the time needed to expand and upgrade the country's infrastructure to cope. Everyone complains about congestion, delays, overcrowding and lack or personal space. I believe the reaction to the SMRT failure is more because people are fed up with the problems resulting from overcrowding, and not because they're trying to be unreasonable. Remember this is human nature, we sometimes say one thing when we really mean another.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cws77

tax-paying dollars going to support system to me is justifiable....
    but paying higher prices to "ensure" that shareholders "earn profits" is not...

Actually we can look at it this way. If the public transport system is funded by the tax payer money, then we as tax payers would have to pay more tax to fund it.

Remember, it's not cheap to do all that. Right now our taxes are pretty cheap compared to elsewhere in the world. You want public transport to go back under government hands? Yes it's possible, but you pay more in the end.

Then complains will start again.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Remember, it's not cheap to do all that. Right now our taxes are pretty cheap compared to elsewhere in the world. You want public transport to go back under government hands? Yes it's possible, but you pay more in the end.

Beside my Property Tax and GST... My Personal Income Tax 2 years ago, is below $300 SGD for the whole year... less than 1% of my annual income.
    Last edited by diver-hloc; 16th January 2012 at 01:37 PM.

Beside my Property Tax and GST... My Personal Income Tax 2 years ago, is below $300 SGD for the whole year... less than 1% of my annual income.
    income Tax<$300, you still NS men ; have many children and parents isn't??

WP proposes changes to ministerial bonuses

"For example, the Transport Ministry could set KPIs like the frequency of MRT disruptions and commuter satisfaction survey results."

WP strike the final nail of the coffin

Actually we can look at it this way. If the public transport system is funded by the tax payer money, then we as tax payers would have to pay more tax to fund it.

Then complains will start again.
    erm, i cannot speak for others ... but not for me, i won't complain about higher taxes for that..... i am experienced in paying "taxes" already... i think all smokers like me do either way the charges will keep on increasing ... for me it is a matter of principle rather than the amount i have to pay... but of course its only my opinion and a lot of people will have different opinions...

oh, and to add, are we sure that what we pay now would be less than if public transport were still in govt hands?
    it would be interesting to compare the figures

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    income Tax<$300, you still NS men ; have many children and parents isn't??

PS-D, so no more NS men... not marry, my brother claim the parent rebate as he earns more. The reason... I earn little enough to be tax.

Now stuck in mrt again, train going to pasir ris is as fast as tortiose...

I experience three breakdowns in a week...

I am sure now breakdowns become part of the world class transport experience...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    Now stuck in mrt again, train going to pasir ris is as fast as tortiose...

I experience three breakdowns in a week...

I am sure now breakdowns become part of the world class transport experience...
    fast as tortoise not equal to not moving leh LOL

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart
    fast as tortoise not equal to not moving leh LOL
    Now whole train got problems... All kick out at outram park...

I guess it is ok for u... it is still moving wo passengers..

when you're on the train, the train experiences problems. when you're not on the train, you don't experience these problems.

ergo... you're the source of the train problems.

when you're on the train, the train experiences problems. when you're not on the train, you don't experience these problems.

WIN

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    Now whole train got problems... All kick out at outram park...

I guess it is ok for u... it is still moving wo passengers..
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 27th January 2012 at 12:31 PM.

Sacked CEO still got problem. Does it mean that Mdm Saw was not the issue to begin with?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Sacked CEO still got problem. Does it mean that Mdm Saw was not the issue to begin with?
    wait for autopsy and post mortem lor...

Question... If the water buffalo that is ploughing the fields is overworked... does sacking the herder solve the problem ??

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617 ... LastLast