Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: People say that 50mm is one of the...

Hope I'm not too late to contribute my experience. Just came back from Thailand, where I had a short try at street photography at their night markets. As they say always pick the right lens for the job. I carry the 450D (i.e. APS-C) with a 50 1.8, 18-55, and 10-22.

For the night market, which is what I take to mean street photography, I mostly stuck to my 50, or switched to the 10-22 for an "overview" shot. The prime is fast for this kind of low light, and with F1.8 it really isolates the subjects from the background which is very much required since the entire scene is very crowded with things and people that will distract viewers from your intended subject. That's the advantage of a good prime (although my prime isn't exactly a good one)

As for 50 or 35 or whatnot, it depends again on what type of shots you do. I find the 50 very useful on my APS-C because, it's less intrusive. You can snap pictures of people without them noticing. But I do mostly half body shots at max, and never do full body, so 50 is rather essential. If I were to use a shorter lens, I would have to get closer, and that would mean I would be noticed.

But, at AFA, where I was shooting cosplayers, they were posing for others to get shots. In that kind of situation, a load of photographers are crowding around a subject, and it's difficult to control framing because if you move forward, it's not good etiquette to block others, and if you move back, you would be blocked by others. 35 would suit the typical distance that most photographers stand from their subject for that situation, and get a full body shot, or a zoom for even easier framing.
    EOS 7D, EOS 450D | 10-22, 17-55, 70-200 F4 IS | YN465, YN560 II
    Gallery

Default Re: People say that 50mm is one of the...

See that you got a wonderful trip.

However, at least for me, 50mm on cropped sensor is generally a 'no-3-no-4' for the situation you mentioned.

Anyway, not so directly related to TS intended query, I think.

No need to rent a prime to try out 28mm or 35mm. Your current zoom lens is already capable of these focal lengths, you just have to control yourself and not zoom in or out.

Or as somebody once pointed out to me, tape the zoom ring on your lens so it cannot move...

Well, if you're talking about focal lengths, yes, you can simulate with a zoom, but the zoom can't do the same sharpness nor be as fast (not so wide open) as primes. And that... is one of the BIG reasons why people who love primes, love their primes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizongod
    .... but the zoom can't do the same sharpness nor be as fast (not so wide open) as primes.
    Nor depth of field too...
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

I have both 50mm & Tamron like you. You can compare the differences in bokeh between your Tamron and 50mm with 1 stop. I did & decided that I can bear with the differences. Maybe I will fall in a situation in futurethat 35mm is needed, then will get one. For now is to make full use of my gear and improve. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizongod View Post
    Well, if you're talking about focal lengths, yes, you can simulate with a zoom, but the zoom can't do the same sharpness nor be as fast (not so wide open) as primes. And that... is one of the BIG reasons why people who love primes, love their primes.
    as always, variable focal length helps to frame your shot in different ways. primes always have its advantages, but so do tele. if you have an 18-55 kit, stick with it and find out what's limiting you, then commit =D
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123