Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: recommendation for macro lens for canon 550d

Default Re: recommendation for macro lens for canon 550d

Basically, there is no need to get all those fancy flashes and stuff like that, buy yourself a macro lens, a normal external flash with diffuser, and go out and shoot some macro. Only through experience and practice would you know what you are missing, then get those stuff. No need to buy everything as a set now, because it will only end up somewhere in your room.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Having IS in macro only helps marginally. The true enemy of macro is the involuntary forward and backward movement of your body when you are focusing. Due to the thin depth of field, very very subtle movement can throw the entire image OOF. Breathing technique should be learn as soon as possible, helps you in maintaining stability as well.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    No macro lenses have built in flash. You attach the flash to the lens. Ring flashes can be cheap or expensive depending on the brand, however, I don't really like ring flashes
    why? isn't it better when shooting macro?

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Basically, there is no need to get all those fancy flashes and stuff like that, buy yourself a macro lens, a normal external flash with diffuser, and go out and shoot some macro. Only through experience and practice would you know what you are missing, then get those stuff. No need to buy everything as a set now, because it will only end up somewhere in your room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Having IS in macro only helps marginally. The true enemy of macro is the involuntary forward and backward movement of your body when you are focusing. Due to the thin depth of field, very very subtle movement can throw the entire image OOF. Breathing technique should be learn as soon as possible, helps you in maintaining stability as well.
    thanks. great help. (:

Quote Originally Posted by saDdyJ86

why? isn't it better when shooting macro?
    Somehow the subject looks "flat" when a ring flash is used. Also, I don't like the donut shaped catchlights you get when shooting jumping spiders

ic. well. guys, your know of anywhere or any places that allow you to try out lens before buying?

Quote Originally Posted by saDdyJ86 View Post
    ic. well. guys, your know of anywhere or any places that allow you to try out lens before buying?
    Try John 3:16 if you only want to try out lens

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Try John 3:16 if you only want to try out lens
    but will they get angry if i'm not gonna buy? hahax.

Quote Originally Posted by saDdyJ86 View Post
    but will they get angry if i'm not gonna buy? hahax.
    John 3:16 is very reputable (although not the cheapest) and service are excellent. I have try out quite a number of the lenses in their shop without buying and they always let me... anyway, you can also go to Canon's show room in habourfront to try out the lenses there.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    John 3:16 is very reputable (although not the cheapest) and service are excellent. I have try out quite a number of the lenses in their shop without buying and they always let me... anyway, you can also go to Canon's show room in habourfront to try out the lenses there.
    oic. but canon show room at habourfront don't think have macro lens to try. (:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123