Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: should i give up photography?

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OzOn3
    Should i give up photography?? To like spend my money on a new PC (HL2 anyone?! ), or buy some new clothing for myself.. got spend it on RC cars (ya, they may cost money, but they're cheaper!)..

    My current equipment list, for the record:

    Canon EOS 30 + Battery Pack
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EF 75-300 f4-f5.6
    Slik U8800 tripod
    now defunct Zenitar Fish-eye 16mm
    couple of negatives.. whole lot of photos..

    What triggered me to think about selling everything away was
    first:
    i need two more items to complete my inventory.. either a EF 20-35 USM, or EF 24mm and a flash.. They're not cheap :'(

    secondly:
    my laptop is getting soooo jumpy!!! must be the stupid usb sound processor

    thirdly:
    RC cars seem fun

    fourthly:
    who can i show the pictures to?

    fifth:
    developing costs quite highhhhh

    someone bitch with me.
    Life is short .... really short. Do things that you really love and enjoy and not doing it because you "think" you want it. If you are thinking of giving up, then you should give up .... some ppl take photography as hobby, some as a career/profession, some as a lifetime interests, etc...
    Come back when you are ready.
    always the Light, .... always.

  2. #22

    Default

    GIve up photography because you cant complete your inventory, because of RC or new clothes or computer?

    IMHO, I think maybe if you are desperate for a new computer to do your stuff, you should.

    For the rest of the reasons, maybe you have to think about why you took up photography in the first place. I am sure there is more to photography to just completing that inventory or showing pics to somebody. (and IMHO , RCs and Cameras are incomparables : Camera isnt a 'toy' , its more like a tool )

    thinking of compromising? well, sell your stuff off and get a cheap digicam lor. no need developing, and you can show it to your friends right after you take their pics.

    so whats your take? and all the best!

  3. #23
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OzOn3
    secondly:
    my laptop is getting soooo jumpy!!! must be the stupid usb sound processor
    ?!?! external usb based sound card ala the early external audigy?

    first time i heard of such stuff.

    dont quit la. you will sure feel "niao" one, sure hands itchy all over one

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    just keep equipment there in dry cabinet wouldn't matter right?

    also, use the camera to take snapshots instead of photography for the sake of memory or events loh.........

    even if i gave up, i will keep my camera.....some events will need them......dun think camera bought will be a waste....hee hee.........

  5. #25

    Default

    If you're a frequent practitioner of photography and for quite some time already, the question should be: If you give up photography...will photography give you up?

    It's like a martial arts person wanting to give up his practice. However, the skill remains deep in him. Similarly, photography affects the way you perceive the world. I think that unless you can see no more, it is something that will always be part of you.

  6. #26

    Default

    yo yo yo Ozone BRO!!!!

    it's simple...simplify your setup (like do you really need prime lenses, how abt macro lense or zoom ones)...use photography to shoot RC stuffs as you dig into RC stuffs...use your RC photos for events shoot or whatever...Best still...join RC clubs (if any)

    that way...u can start on both stuffs...RC and photography...i think, the only thing left that you might want to consider is going digital, not for a change ya.
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

  7. #27

    Smile

    Hi Ozone,

    Just wish to say you are asking a bias poll. Just like asking if you should quit smoking from a poll of smokers.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder
    If you're a frequent practitioner of photography and for quite some time already, the question should be: If you give up photography...will photography give you up?

    It's like a martial arts person wanting to give up his practice. However, the skill remains deep in him. Similarly, photography affects the way you perceive the world. I think that unless you can see no more, it is something that will always be part of you.
    Hahaha... I like dat Martial Arts analogy.

    Martial arts, is a skill which even after giving up practice, the skill will remain in u. The philosophy behind martial arts will also affect the way u see things.

    Similarly for photography.

  9. #29

    Default

    Give up sex, but dont give up photography....

  10. #30
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Question Excuse me ?

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor
    Give up sex, but dont give up photography....
    You say there is a difference ???
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  11. #31
    Moderator John Teoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    What some members say are quite true. Give yourself a break from photography and do something you like. You never know when you will need your photograph skill when you are doing something else (like the helping to take some shots for RC etc).

    Like my case, I'm into PocketPC for about 3 years so I decided to take a break from it. It is not easy to break from my love of PocketPC but I have reached a point when I can do everything myself and I know where to look for information when needed. But when my friends ask me for advise on PocketPC, I can tell them very quickly and help them set up their pocketpc.

    So try to put your camera aside for a few weeks and so something else.

    Cheers
    John

  12. #32

    Default

    wha, quite a number of "fierce" replies arr..

    Well, i was thinking of selling off my photography stuffs to divert my funds into the various other interests, or wants, that i have.

    Well, the new clothes thing is a teens thing.. well, late teens anyway. haha.

    Eh, i think my primes set up like quite cheap already? anyway, i'm not really "completing a setup". I'm more like thinking of the next thing i need to help take better pictures.. If i were to complete my setup, i'd want a 17-40, 70-200 f4

    I like the feeling of composing a shot, thinking how it would appear in my printouts, and depressing the shutter. But then after i do all that, like 36 times over, i think, damn, gotta fork out 15++ for developing and printing.. Gonna go broke one day man. there are times where i say, hey, i can do this forever, just don't take too many pictures, don't try too many funny stuffs. but tell me, how to grow like that?! haha..

    I do like photography. I do like the idea of photography. that is to capture the things in life that are memorable, or beautiful, or worth capturing =p and no, i'm not in it for the equipment.. i do have a A70, but the primary reason why i "upgraded" to a SLR was because of my equipment's limitations.. but one reason was because SLRs look more pro.. cannot escape one =x

    So ya, i think i have answered my own question.. i don't think i'll give up photography, it's just a random thing that pops out when you have money woes

    heh..

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    ?!?! external usb based sound card ala the early external audigy?

    first time i heard of such stuff.

    dont quit la. you will sure feel "niao" one, sure hands itchy all over one
    eh ya, my onboard sound spoil.. haha! eh SS, you frequently took the NP's water polo team right??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •