Thread: Is losing sharpness at higher DPI normal?

Default Is losing sharpness at higher DPI normal?

Hi all, would like some advice on an issue I'm facing. Was scanning some rolls for the first time and noticed there's a stark difference between DPI 600 and anything above that. The moment I leave the lowest DPI, my images look too soft for what they are worth. Initially I chalked it up to misfocusing or user error, but it seems that it's pretty good at DPI 600. However, I didn't buy a scanner to use it at the lowest setting.

Anyone else faces this issue? Would love some comments and will post photos once I can. The scanner is a canon 9000F and is brand new.

Some scanners use software extrapolation for higher DPIs. You might want to check with Canon Support.

Default Re: Is losing sharpness at higher DPI normal?

Scanner Features and Definitions - Resolution

Read the section on 2400 dpi flatbeds. It seems this is a problem with flatbed scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by magicianhisoka View Post
    Hi all, would like some advice on an issue I'm facing. Was scanning some rolls for the first time and noticed there's a stark difference between DPI 600 and anything above that. The moment I leave the lowest DPI, my images look too soft for what they are worth. Initially I chalked it up to misfocusing or user error, but it seems that it's pretty good at DPI 600. However, I didn't buy a scanner to use it at the lowest setting.

Anyone else faces this issue? Would love some comments and will post photos once I can. The scanner is a canon 9000F and is brand new.