Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic photography course

Default Re: Basic photography course

Where can I find more information on the Canon courses?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgysfj View Post
    hi, can check how much is the courses fees/no of lessons for the basic course? anyways i hv read some of ur postings....u cannot be considered a noob....a noob is me! lol

hi,
    Cost for the basic one is S$370, and it had 4 classroom sections and 3 outdoor sections. should be pretty interesting.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    and get slammed for not googling.
    hahah that's so true. this forum can be darn harshed at times. people tend to dare not ask....

Quote Originally Posted by etegration View Post
    hahah that's so true. this forum can be darn harshed at times. people tend to dare not ask....
    Well... basically I believe most members in CS are friendly people who will try their best to help newcomers... but don't ask question like what to buy (without giving other information like, budget, what type of photography he/she is going into, and stuff like that)... and starting threads like, Brand X vs Brand Y (it will only invite flame war).

Also many of the newcomers who come in here asking for help didn't give enough information... and hence receive lots of 'unfriendly' comments. I mean, you have a question, fine... ask, but please give enough information for any of us to help you, or all of us will only be guessing the problem and might give wrong advises that will only serve to confuse anyone out there.

So far all my questions are answered by seniors around here (some of them had harsher way of teaching though) and I have also try my best to help some of the newcomers too (although my knowledge is limited.)
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

Haha you should start an Alpha Training School
    There's a basic course for Alpha newbies by Sony already

I have signed up for the Canon basic course in jan..hopefully will be good....thanks for all ur helpful replies....

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Haha you should start an Alpha Training School
    Got free class when you buy an Alpha anyway. Also, we meet up for kopi, etc, for sharing. And the annual gatherings are good too.
    Alpha

There's a basic course for Alpha newbies by Sony already
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Got free class when you buy an Alpha anyway. Also, we meet up for kopi, etc, for sharing. And the annual gatherings are good too.
    darn, there goes the opportunity to make some extra money out of buyers
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    darn, there goes the opportunity to make some extra money out of buyers
    No... you can still woo the buyers, by advertising that Kei is one of the instructor
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You should not focus on any specific brand. Photography is not about a camera brand but rather about light.
    Workshops, Tutorials and Classes
    A fried of mine attended the basic course from Objectifs - Centre for Photography and Filmmaking and was very happy. The basic requirements for attending are: a camera that can be switched to manual mode, that's all. After all the sessions they had a small exhibition of they pictures.
    objectifs is good. probably the best around.

i'm suspicious about all the various PSS. especially safra. have very very bad impression on their courses.

It is depend on the instuctor. Mine was Nik. On the first day was a bit bored but not on the second day onwards. You will be learning of some calculation and some shooting tricks during the field outdoor which will be on the 3rd day and the 5th day. I ask a lot of question during the class for more unstanding of photography and not to worry, no one will slam you down. Hope you can enjoy the class and share more photos here..

Hi, thanks for your reply. Do you mind sharing if its reali beneficial for you? Can rili take beta photos after attending the course? Im deciding btw the canon and another one.......

btw i have actuali joined an shoot outing. personally i didnt learn anyting and i only make friends.

Quote Originally Posted by sachokphantom View Post
    It is depend on the instuctor. Mine was Nik. On the first day was a bit bored but not on the second day onwards. You will be learning of some calculation and some shooting tricks during the field outdoor which will be on the 3rd day and the 5th day. I ask a lot of question during the class for more unstanding of photography and not to worry, no one will slam you down. Hope you can enjoy the class and share more photos here..
    Yups i hv signed up for the canon basic course starting in jan. Keeping an open mind. Hopefuli i will learn someting so i wnt waste $$ buying all my cam equipment and will put them to good use.

Yups i hv signed up for the canon basic course starting in jan. Keeping an open mind. Hopefuli i will learn someting so i wnt waste $$ buying all my cam equipment and will put them to good use.
    Don't forget: it's your hobby. So drop all ideas of efficiency and 'make the most out of it' and all the other silly phrases. Have fun!
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    No... you can still woo the buyers, by advertising that Kei is one of the instructor
    why would i wanna waste time teaching people?

Hope the course will be useful. Remember to ask questions and be bold enough to trial and error. No one is perfect the first time round! That applies for photog outings too! If you talk and shoot and talk and shoot and never ask anything, of course you don't learn much!
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

99.999% is still up to you whether you will become good at it... Regardless you attend classes, mentored or self taught.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

why would i wanna waste time teaching people?

You get the joy of teaching people to take good photos leh...
    Exploring! :)

Some things have changed since the film days. If a course does not talk in some depth about white balance, how to use raw, then course structure has not come forward to todays situation. Most books are still not covering the full spectrum of what you need to know today.

Grin there are ex-perts and there are experts. Fundamentals you must know before you can practice otherwise how to if the practice is leading you anywhere. So some how you must acquire the fundamentals.

From books, from course, from talking with the right people even via the internet - the sources of information are many nor are they confined to this site or that site. Finding the right instructor is most times a problem, now it may become necessary for instructor to look at your camera and teach how to use the important features of it and I do not mean just the manual controls of aperture and shutter speed. A good one can phrase the data in a form you can absorb easier. There are now courses on line too to add some more confusion as to where to go. Then there is the You factor - are you self learning or do you have to be lead ?

Most of the companies distributing this or that brand may have a free or pay small fee basic handling class - it should point in the rough direction. Since there is a little profit to made from these courses normally what you get is how to set to a mode /setting that will allow you to maximize capturing something. Nor do they explain much. Years back with the first DSL I went for the pay a norminal fee course - it was a rofl experience but then what do you expect to be taught in a class of 30 in 3 hours. At least 25% of the time was spent by instructor trying to sell his other courses. Suggest you use this session as your ask question opportunity - do your homework and prepare a list of questions and ask - then you will learn some thing.

Sheesh... I didn't know that such courses are so EX! I could buy a legacy lens or 2 with that price!! :P

Hmm... Even better, i didn't know got people willing to pay... Basic course some more.. :/

Think i'll go join to see what they cover and perhaps do my own.. :P
    Pentax Kr, Pentax Super A
    K105/2.8, Fa*24/2, A28/2, A35/2, A50/1.4, A*85/1.4, A100/2.8, A135/2.8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast